The IKC being the Irish Kennel Club
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
The IKC registers pure bred KC recognised Staffordshire Bull Terriers
The IKC being the Irish Kennel Club
So are you saying the IKC doesn't reg ISBT? I thought they did?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Huh? The IKC does recognise Irish Staffords
Anne IKC does not stand for Irish Kennel Club,The Irish Kennel Club does not recognise Irish Staffords.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:26 PM
No they don't have a looksy

http://ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=59
sky_high_bluest
Dogsey Senior
Male 

Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
Can you tell me why some Irish Breeders register their puppies with the DLRC when they have a breed club? And can you also tell me why dogs registered with the DLRC are allowed to register with the s.i.b.t.c because it's well known that the DLRC will also register crossbreeds. This is what makes me dubious and I suppose makes others feel the same way too
Thanks
sorry Nicci I can't I don't know anyone who has registered there dogs with the DLRC, and I wouldn't, I will however ask my fellow SIBTC members if they can shed any light on this for me! I'm not saying that everyone who uses the name Irish Stafford or Irish bull terrier, is 100% perfect, but by the same token not every KC reg breeder is, what you might call, trust worthy! and finaly only litters with SIBTC reg dam and sire can register with the SIBTC, this has to be confirmed with the owners of both dogs and pictures must be taken and checked by the SIBTC. although this is hardly a perfect system I still feel IMO that it's a lot harder to fake that KC litters!

thanks for the info Nicci and I'll look into the DLRC thing!
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
Confusion, I don't understand if they are staffs bred in Ireland or a name given to pitbull crosses to get around the law, or a different breed entirely.
They used to be a completely different breed until Pits were banned, some people continued to breed pits but classed them as Irish Stafford to avoid prosecution. There probably are still some pure lines but I'd imagine a lot of them have now been diluted.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by sky_high_bluest View Post
sorry Nicci I can't I don't know anyone who has registered there dogs with the DLRC, and I wouldn't, I will however ask my fellow SIBTC members if they can shed any light on this for me! I'm not saying that everyone who uses the name Irish Stafford or Irish bull terrier, is 100% perfect, but by the same token not every KC reg breeder is, what you might call, trust worthy! and finaly only litters with SIBTC reg dam and sire can register with the SIBTC, this has to be confirmed with the owners of both dogs and pictures must be taken and checked by the SIBTC. although this is hardly a perfect system I still feel IMO that it's a lot harder to fake that KC litters!

thanks for the info Nicci and I'll look into the DLRC thing!

I'll PM you
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:33 PM
I thought the Irish Kennel club also recognised them. Do the UNKC, ISF and IKC recognise them?
sky_high_bluest
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
They used to be a completely different breed until Pits were banned, some people continued to breed pits but classed them as Irish Stafford to avoid prosecution. There probably are still some pure lines but I'd imagine a lot of them have now been diluted.
Farmers boy WAS the only line of Pits that was attempted to be introduced into the Irish lines and no Farmers boy lines, to my knowlage, are in any SIBTC reg lines. these can be found, I have just been informed, in some lines STILL reg with the IKC (not the irish kennel club) and not the SIBTC but you would have to go back over 10 gen to find any trace of farmers boy lines!
sorry this is getting a little off topic! lol can we have your first thoughts please lol
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Anne IKC does not stand for Irish Kennel Club,The Irish Kennel Club does not recognise Irish Staffords
IKC does stand for the Irish Kennel Club, indeed that is how they are commonly referred to here by show exhibitors and owners of agility/obedience dogs registered to compete. However, I believe that there is a separate organisation also known as IKC so it is necessary to be clear which one you are talking about. It is true that the Irish Kennel Club do not recognise these breeds. The information on this is easy enough to check.
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »