View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 07:00 PM
I used to do a lot of catering at the Hickstead Showground where I was catering for the competitors not the spectators, and I can tell you this, the "showing" fraternity in the competitors section were a totally different kind of people to say, the show jumpers and eventers, insomuchas, they were very stuck up, very up their own, no sense of humour, no sense of fun, and definitely not the down to earth kind of people I like! Lol! That'll get me into trouble! Now why is this I ask? Surely the show-jumpers and eventers are competing too to show that their horse is the best and that they are the best rider? Yet these people are full of fun with a slightly couldn't care-less attitude. So why do the people who walk around with their horse in the ring looking pretty have this attitude that they are better than the rest, because they do, I have seen it many a time, I catered there for 10 years, 3 times every year and was with them all every day for a week at a time, chatting and serving their food.

I know I'm harping on about horses here, but I can assure you it is exactly the same in the dog world, because I also attended 2, only 2, dog shows and I hated every minute of being there apart from looking at the dogs, as the people seemed to come from a different planet to me. Yet you meet the dog agility people and they are comparable to the show jumpers/eventers.

I might add, I am talking about the creme de la creme of the horse and dog world here, so maybe it is different at a lower level, but that was my experience. Showing is not competing, it is pure "showing off" at this very high level imo.

Am I in the debates section? Oh well, I should be ok then!! I think I am entitled to my opinion in here.
There you are Myschievous, I have found that big wooden spoon of mine!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 07:13 PM
You have condemned thousands of people on the experience of 2 shows, well never mind it matters not, we, those awful show people enjoy ourselves and perhaps it is best those who are not prepared to join in do not attend, they may spoil our enjoyment of the dogs and the company.
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 07:22 PM
I worked hard in the training and am quite happy to be branded a "show off" when it comes to showing my dogs!!! I am proud of what they have become and proud of the fact that my dogs have been placed each time I show to show my dogs off, enjoy the company and love seeing the wide variety of dogs that are there on the day. Too right i am a show off lol and i go home with the best dogs everytime

Its also exhausting at the end of the day
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 07:31 PM
In any group of people you will get the good, the bad, and the selfish
I like that Jackie phrase Jackie, sums it up well.

If you want a bit of honesty, go to a Terrier or Lurcher show, I do a lot and if they think your dog is crap, they tell you! simple as that.
Dawn.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Maybe you are giving off vibes that you are so anti -showing. I am relatively new to showing...been at it 5 years now and have been welcomed with open arms by some very long standing,well respected,well known show people.
There are the odd few that acn be stand offish but as a rule I have found that if you offer a freindly 'hello' you get one back.

Originally Posted by Helena54
I used to do a lot of catering at the Hickstead Showground where I was catering for the competitors not the spectators, and I can tell you this, the "showing" fraternity in the competitors section were a totally different kind of people to say, the show jumpers and eventers, insomuchas, they were very stuck up, very up their own, no sense of humour, no sense of fun, and definitely not the down to earth kind of people I like! Lol! That'll get me into trouble! Now why is this I ask? Surely the show-jumpers and eventers are competing too to show that their horse is the best and that they are the best rider? Yet these people are full of fun with a slightly couldn't care-less attitude. So why do the people who walk around with their horse in the ring looking pretty have this attitude that they are better than the rest, because they do, I have seen it many a time, I catered there for 10 years, 3 times every year and was with them all every day for a week at a time, chatting and serving their food.

I know I'm harping on about horses here, but I can assure you it is exactly the same in the dog world, because I also attended 2, only 2, dog shows and I hated every minute of being there apart from looking at the dogs, as the people seemed to come from a different planet to me. Yet you meet the dog agility people and they are comparable to the show jumpers/eventers.

I might add, I am talking about the creme de la creme of the horse and dog world here, so maybe it is different at a lower level, but that was my experience. Showing is not competing, it is pure "showing off" at this very high level imo.

Am I in the debates section? Oh well, I should be ok then!! I think I am entitled to my opinion in here.
There you are Myschievous, I have found that big wooden spoon of mine!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
What would happen to a dog if it turned out to be a real failure in the ring, i.e. it was never, ever destined to win a thing?

It's slightly different but I met a gentleman at the weekend who owned and raced whippets. One, he bought, but discovered that it hated racing and woulnd't give it her all. He told us that he was only keeping her as his other dog, who was showing potential, liked her so much.
That depends on the individual...but then its the same in all walks of 'dogdom'.Some like myself,buy a puppy and it stays with me regardless of how it turns out.I once joked with the breeder when I was buying my first elkhound that the pup would end up in the ring even if it had 2 heads and 3 legs
Others will rehome pups which end up not up to standard.As long as this is done responsibly I have no problem with this...each to their own.And as I said its not just 'show' people that do this...working dogs,pet owners and even I would like to bet some obedience people will move on dogs that don't make the grade.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Dibley
Just from my ignorant observasions it is often not this way in shows. From what I have seen it often comes down to the judges own personal preferences which I personally think is unfair. This is only my honest opinion and I am an ignoramous when it comes to shows but that has been my experience of them. I am enjoying reading through this debate as I can see our Dogwebbers show for a different reason to what I assumed a lot of peope showed for. It's been an education for me!
Yes its down to personal preference..but then we pay our money for the priviledge and if we don't like the result we can choose not to enter under that judge again.

I'm glad you are seeing a different side...99% of us do it for the social occasion and a day out with the dogs.....good job really cos otherwise I would have given up long ago!! I was showing for over a year before we even got to beat a single dog!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Have realised the different take on judging expressed here 'the judges own personal opinion' well yes, how else would a human being judge, if not by personal opinion what method would you use. At least that makes a change from the more usual idea that we are bribed, I wish.

Take a driving test and you are judged by a persons opinion of if you fit the standard required, that is the way most things are judged, people are individuals and there opinions vary else we would not need to go to shows as the results would always be the same. No one person could take in everything about a dog in the couple of minutes you have to assess each dog so it is a good thing that a different judge may well see virtues that you missed.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Yep, agree there too (blimey Jackie twice in one night!) each judge will view a dog slightly different and possibly class different points of a dog less or more important than you do.

I have been showing for 18yrs now, I have seen a HUGE change, the same things bother me, the same things attract me to keep going.
Dawn.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Have realised the different take on judging expressed here 'the judges own personal opinion' well yes, how else would a human being judge, if not by personal opinion what method would you use. At least that makes a change from the more usual idea that we are bribed, I wish.

Take a driving test and you are judged by a persons opinion of if you fit the standard required, that is the way most things are judged, people are individuals and there opinions vary else we would not need to go to shows as the results would always be the same. No one person could take in everything about a dog in the couple of minutes you have to assess each dog so it is a good thing that a different judge may well see virtues that you missed.
You're so right Jackie! There is very little in life that is not judged by SOMEONE!
I am VERY proud of my dogs...and I want the world to see why!
If people could only see my daughter who is deaf and who struggles greatly at school,who lacks confidence and can be very insecure,walk into that ring with a dog and 'comes alive' with confidence and could watch the bond between her and my boys they would understand its not just about snooty people who are soooo competitive they cannot enjoy a day out!She competes against adults who have been showing for decades and stands on a level playing field.She gets sooo much encouragement from those 'snobs' people keep refering to and is regularly complimented in judges write ups in the dog papers.I have so much to thank the elkhound show community for...they have given my daughter something that has changed her life.....if ever there was an 'easy target' for small minded people then my daughter is it .....but they have given her something at which she is encouraged to excell.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »