Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I didn't feel the need to call them in because they were only close and i couldn't forsee any reason for us to interfere with her walk (hindsight is a wonderful thing!)

Does your dog chase bikes or just bark at them? I take my two on bike rides and Jake (EBT) for some reason thinks that just left of the front wheel is an ideal place to run! a few tyre marks later and he soon gets the picture!
They do neither, they have really bad timing and will choose to run from the undergrowth, across the track just as the bikes are passing. It can be very messy!! My mother's Springer took out a cyclist in the same way in Richmond Park and he was carted away in an ambulance. He would have been within his right to sue her but he did not bother.[/QUOTE]

Yikes!!

I have to say that is why I don't 'do' parks with my lot; I'd worry too much. Kids to knock over, bikes, mothers with buggies. Too much potential for it to go wrong!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
They do neither, they have really bad timing and will choose to run from the undergrowth, across the track just as the bikes are passing. It can be very messy!! My mother's Springer took out a cyclist in the same way in Richmond Park and he was carted away in an ambulance. He would have been within his right to sue her but he did not bother.
Yikes!!

I have to say that is why I don't 'do' parks with my lot; I'd worry too much. Kids to knock over, bikes, mothers with buggies. Too much potential for it to go wrong![/QUOTE]

No me neither! We are lucky enough to live in the countryside but we still have more than our fair share of numpty dog/bike/horse/quad bike owners!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Can I come walkies with you please?
I like your style.
My son was once confronted by a woman like this clutching her dog to her bosom as he approached, so he picked up our huge black and tan GSD bitch (he`s a big lad) and wandered past saying `There, there, dear - I won`t let the nasty dog get you.
My other pet peeve is all the gundogs (springers, weimies etc.) being hauled onlead round the woods and commons, mad with frustration.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
He would have been within his right to sue her ....
I don't think that's correct. It sounds like an accident and, unless there has been negligence (say, the dog had a known propensity to jump at cyclists) then there would be no grounds for an action, imo.

I personally would not expect anyone with an on-lead dog to change direction just because I am approaching them.
But the OP wasn't approaching them. They were approaching the OP and that's a fundamental difference.

When I am with my reactive dog I do not backtrack if I find myself approached on a wooded path (I'll just move myself to edge of the path until the other dogs have passed and, in such situations, I am grateful if the other owner brings his/her dogs under close control) but in a wide open space I will not choose to try to occupy the same bit of ground as off-lead dogs - it's common courtesy and goes both ways. We cannot place a sole onus on the owners of off-lead dogs to accomodate on-lead dogs and not expect some reciprocal consideration.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My son was once confronted by a woman like this clutching her dog to her bosom as he approached, so he picked up our huge black and tan GSD bitch (he`s a big lad) and wandered past saying `There, there, dear - I won`t let the nasty dog get you.
Great laugh. Thanks!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I have to admit that I will put Dougal on his lead, not cause he is dog aggressive, far from it, but because owners tend to be wary if they see Dougal bowling towards them (you know, that bowdy-legged walk Staffies have).

It's not till we have met up and Dougal and other dog have met and made friends will I let him off. Then there's the game of 'I've a new friend and i wanna play' game which takes me ages to get him away from....
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I admit, when confronted by morons, it is sometimes all we can do to resist the temptation to club them into insensibility.
Ah..... well said
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I dont really get much of this now, I also have a temper, so found that the best thing all round was just not to let my lot go towards on lead dogs,

people can have major panic attacks when they see a pack of rotties coming,
its not fair to my dogs to have silly people screaming and hand waving....lol

but that said, I know exactly how you feel
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 03:14 PM
I like your style.
My other pet peeve is all the gundogs (springers, weimies etc.) being hauled onlead round the woods and commons, mad with frustration.

now if I stood a hope in hell of lifting vinnie off the ground I would love to do this classic
Bnescollick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I like your style.
Lol! Anytime.
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »