Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
The very first thing Rupert chose to play with outside of the house was a stick. He just picked it up and started prancing around with it inviting me to chase him. I now take a toy with me so that if he does want to play I have something safe to play with him with. I was gobsmacked when he picked it up though, he has NEVER played with anything outside of the house in the 7 years I've had him..
I think toys are a great distraction away from sticks Jake loves his balls, so it's a great distraction from other dogs too! Needless to say, balls come just about everywhere with us
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I think toys are a great distraction away from sticks Jake loves his balls, so it's a great distraction from other dogs too! Needless to say, balls come just about everywhere with us
Ah Rupert's not quite that interested. He'll drop his toy at the slightest sound and go on hyper alert for a couple of minutes. And if there's another dog around forget it, the toy ceases to exist. Still, just the fact he'll play is a big step, maybe with time he'll become more obsessed.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm wondering if I'm the odd one My dogs VERY rarely get any 'human' foods & I mean rarely. They get veg in their dishes on a Sunday from the dinner & raw carrot as treats through the week but thats it. Its dog food or nothing in this house

As for being outdoors, Ive never thrown sticks, its always been balls or a rope toy with a ball on & luckily none of them seem interested in sticks.

B
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
I'm wondering if I'm the odd one My dogs VERY rarely get any 'human' foods & I mean rarely. They get veg in their dishes on a Sunday from the dinner & raw carrot as treats through the week but thats it. Its dog food or nothing in this house
Oh mines spoiled rotten in some ways. He has a roast dinner every Sunday That started off accidentally coz I couldn't judge how many potatoes and veg to do for 2 of us and always did too much so Rupe got what was left with a bit of meat and a small amount of gravy. It's no trouble to do an extra couple of potatoes and veg though so it's carried on.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 10:18 PM
On the subject of sticks...

I know some people say they cant get their dogs to leave them alone. Cain used to be obsessed with sticks, picking them up ALL the time. He'd sneak them in from the garden and you'd catch him chewing them up in bed My dog trainer said to just keep taking them off of him every single time and tell him to Leave It on walks, and if he didn't, take it off him. Months of persistence worked and now Cain hardly even notices sticks.

I read a great idea for a safe stick substitute. Of course you can by Safe Stix toys etc but a cheap easy substitute is a length of garden hose pipe. Much safer, not sharp, doesn't splinter, easily washable and costs pennies. So if your dog loves chasing sticks, try hose instead
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
On the subject of sticks...

I know some people say they cant get their dogs to leave them alone. Cain used to be obsessed with sticks, picking them up ALL the time. He'd sneak them in from the garden and you'd catch him chewing them up in bed My dog trainer said to just keep taking them off of him every single time and tell him to Leave It on walks, and if he didn't, take it off him. Months of persistence worked and now Cain hardly even notices sticks.

I read a great idea for a safe stick substitute. Of course you can by Safe Stix toys etc but a cheap easy substitute is a length of garden hose pipe. Much safer, not sharp, doesn't splinter, easily washable and costs pennies. So if your dog loves chasing sticks, try hose instead
Excellent idea, has the right weight with it as well to make the dog feel he/she has something akin to a stick.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4