View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 07:03 AM
I would be in there like a shot. My youngest was tearful for the first half term and I had to bribe her(in a nice way),we developed a smiley face chart and introduced small rewards that built up to something bigger. However, we did it with the help of the school who were very aware of making sure she was OK during all th transition times such as break and lunch etc. I really think you need to see them sooner rather than later. I used to go home and cry every morning and that was me knowing the school inside and out and having worked with the teachers........

This needs to be a discussion that happens soon. They need to know how she has changed at home. It may well be (and normally is) the case that once she has settled at school she is fine. My school used to phone me after about an hour to let me know she had settled....
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks Fudgeley. I know how you felt - I've cried lots too. We are going to ask for an appointment. There is a parents' evening next week but we don't think there will be enough time to discuss it properly. We have mentioned it a few times now with the teacher but it's always as she's being dropped off and it's impossible to talk for long when they're trying to get the class organised.

I remember crying for my mum when I started school - I do realise that lots of children do at first - but we started part time for a while so it wasn't such a long day to cope with at first. The other two schools we looked at start them all part time until January and one of her friends doesn't start at all until January because she's an August baby. I can see how having two intakes would be difficult for a school to manage because they'd have to repeat lots of stuff for the second starters but this school say that they try hard to ensure the child settles in and are flexible, depending upon that child's particular needs.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Had a chat with the teacher this afternoon and have decided to leave things as they are for now. They do loads in the afternoons - science, forming words, sharing assemblies, show and tell, etc. and I don't want my little girl to miss out. It seems that while at school, she is doing really well and coping brilliantly. Apparently there are no signs of tiredness at school and she's mixing really well. I would prefer part time but will give it more time. The teacher is amazing and very perceptive indeed; I'm so glad we sent her to this school.

Thanks for all the brilliant advice.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Had a chat with the teacher this afternoon and have decided to leave things as they are for now. They do loads in the afternoons - science, forming words, sharing assemblies, show and tell, etc. and I don't want my little girl to miss out. It seems that while at school, she is doing really well and coping brilliantly. Apparently there are no signs of tiredness at school and she's mixing really well. I would prefer part time but will give it more time. The teacher is amazing and very perceptive indeed; I'm so glad we sent her to this school.

Thanks for all the brilliant advice.
Glad things have turned out ok, only just caught this
I went to school at the age of 3 full time, (granted that was 22 years ago) but I remember my first day clearly. I was probably tired and grumpy, but it absolutely made a difference to my education starting early, I'd finished 6th form when I was 17 (I'm an august baby) so actually started school a month after my 3rd bday. I was very advanced as a child and I think it was down to going to school early.

Kids who start later around here seem to be a lot further behind than I was at their age....so I think you're doing the right thing 100%! Lots of cuddles and early nights and she'll be grand! x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Oh thanks Lorna - that's good to know, very reassuring. She had a brilliant day today; barely noticed me going this morning and when I picked her up she told me she hadn't missed me at all (despite running out to me and yelling, "Mummy!" They all came out clutching gingerbread men that they'd made!
beattie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 06:13 PM
So glad she has started to settle Lucky Star. Being a parent is so hard isn't it? My only child is 6 now and I can remember him crying when being left at pre-school and then I would cry. He was also sometimes clingy and teary when he went back after half-terms at primary school and I would hate leaving him again.
But he is so settled now and loves school.
It is so different to when I was a child, as nowadays if you don't attend a pre-school I think you would be so behind once you started primary as they seem to learn so much at 2/3 years old.
My son was also so tired when he came home that like you I worried about him, but I think once the routine kicks in children adapt very well.
Anyway I hope your daughter continues to enjoy school and you can relax .
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Glad you have talked to the school and made a decision together ......she will have a rest at half term and be ready for the Christmas festivities.....be prepared for some wet hankies at performance time!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks Beattie - I'm glad your son settled in and is doing okay.

Thanks Fudgeley, for the good wishes and advice.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Oh thanks Lorna - that's good to know, very reassuring. She had a brilliant day today; barely noticed me going this morning and when I picked her up she told me she hadn't missed me at all (despite running out to me and yelling, "Mummy!" They all came out clutching gingerbread men that they'd made!
awww sounds fantastic!!! She'll be settling into her routine and having a lovely time! Excellent news
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4