Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
Blue labradoodle! Very rare, very expensive!

This is what makes me laugh with people who want a non shedding breed. They think it equates with no grooming too, but non shedding breeds need far more coat care than many shedding breeds.
Yes-you are quite right, time and money are needed in bucketloads with coat care for a lot of non-shedding breeds. I can see why people want them (no doggy hairs) but if you are not asthmatic (like me) then you might as well spend the extra time and money on a good hoover!

Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
I am regularly informed by owners that the breeders have advised that the dog may need grooming every 6 months or so!!!!!! They do realise very soon that this is complete rubbish and ALL my cocker x poodle clients are in at least every 6 weeks. And many are in every 3-4 particularly when the cocker involved is an American.

Yes is a running joke that hairdressers dogs are very often the worst. Just as I am pants at looking after my own hair
Blimey-that must be expensive-every 3 or 4 weeks for a trim! I am surprised that the breeders of the Poodle crosses don't learn to trim them and they could make even more dosh!

I know Parker and Cherry's breeder trims Kerries as well as breeding them but she is in Ipswich so long way to go!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Yes-you are quite right, time and money are needed in bucketloads with coat care for a lot of non-shedding breeds. I can see why people want them (no doggy hairs) but if you are not asthmatic (like me) then you might as well spend the extra time and money on a good hoover!

Blimey-that must be expensive-every 3 or 4 weeks for a trim! I am surprised that the breeders of the Poodle crosses don't learn to trim them and they could make even more dosh!

I know Parker and Cherry's breeder trims Kerries as well as breeding them but she is in Ipswich so long way to go!
I have a Bichon that I groom every two weeks. I do a special price though because he's easy to groom as he's so well maintained.
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I have a Bichon that I groom every two weeks. I do a special price though because he's easy to groom as he's so well maintained.
My groomer only charges £20 a dog and they go every 8 weeks or so, its not massively prohibitive compared to things like insurance, dog walkers/sitters etc.

All the poodle crosses I've seen though look as though their coats would be much harder to maintain than an actual poodle!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Larrabee View Post
My groomer only charges £20 a dog and they go every 8 weeks or so, its not massively prohibitive compared to things like insurance, dog walkers/sitters etc.

All the poodle crosses I've seen though look as though their coats would be much harder to maintain than an actual poodle!
Yes they often are. And they vary big time, so I often don't do quotes for crossbreeds until I've seen them in the flesh. The size of standard poodle crosses also varies immensely so that also affects the price of grooming.

Your groomer is very cheap btw
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Yes they often are. And they vary big time, so I often don't do quotes for crossbreeds until I've seen them in the flesh. The size of standard poodle crosses also varies immensely so that also affects the price of grooming.

Your groomer is very cheap btw
Not as cheap as ours but then it is a training establishment though I am always pleased with how they look and I do show Parker too so he has to look "right". They charge £26 for the 2 dogs.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2012, 10:53 PM
bloody hell! My sisters boyfriend's sister (i know lol) just paid £600 for a 'Cockapoo'
Doesn't anyone understand they are still crossbreeds and not worth the pedigree price tag. Maybe if they get registered at some point.
These designers breeds really p*ss me off
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Larrabee View Post
My groomer only charges £20 a dog and they go every 8 weeks or so,
Crikey . I couldn't afford to do it for that lttle. . Seriously, by the time I took out my overheads, I would be working for WAY below the minimum wage.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I read something not so long ago that disproved the thing about dogs with non shedding coats being better for asthmatics than other breeds as it's usually the dander that causes the reaction rather than the hairs themselves and non shedding dogs don't spread any less dander than any other dog. It was more to do with non shedding breeds on average being bathed more often.

I think you do still have to be careful about the breed you choose if asthmatic, though I'd think a breed with a single coat would be far easier/cheaper to maintain than a poo or oodle of any description. I'm asthmatic and react particularly badly to German shepherds for some reason. I don't even think grooming outside and vacuuming daily would prevent that. I'm really used to shar-pei, but despite that, the horsecoat I had irritated my ashtma and eczema for about a month until I got used to her. The bearcoats don't cause me any problems at all despite being much more furry.

You'd think that me having something as big and hairy as a Tibetan Mastiff would be a disaster waiting to happen. But he is a doddle to groom and for a good 10 months of the year he doesn't so much drop a hair in the house or need more than a tickle over with a brush occasionally. When he's shedding, a few minutes a day outside gets most of the loose hair and my 15 year old Henry picks up the rest (best vacuum cleaners in the world!). I don't even think I've bathed him in about 2 years. But he stays so clean and odour free naturally there is no point unless he rolls in something putrid. Saying all that, I wouldn't recommend the breed to to labradoodle brigade. Any dog deserves better than being wanted just because their coat is easy to care for and a TM is not just any dog.
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
I read something not so long ago that disproved the thing about dogs with non shedding coats being better for asthmatics than other breeds as it's usually the dander that causes the reaction rather than the hairs themselves and non shedding dogs don't spread any less dander than any other dog. It was more to do with non shedding breeds on average being bathed more often.

When I was looking for my rescue dogs a lot of people kept telling me that, but it doesn't ring true to me at all. I've been allergic and asthmatic all my life and I can live happily with any non shedding breed but all the breeds that shed trigger the allergies.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2012, 01:46 PM
If people want a non shedding dog why do they not just buy a poodle???????????? and it will be cheaper as it's just a pedigree. LOL

Saying that a place near me breeds em for shooting over and they look like black GWP's. I met a bloke who had one and said it was the best gundog he had ever had but, £600 was bluddy expencive for a mongrel. He called it a mongrel when I asked what she was. She was stunning looking.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >