Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by mike_c View Post
Never used one, but I did study advanced physics - and sorry to bore anyone with some maths.
Adam is actually right about this...

'Pressure' is the ratio of force being applied divided by the total surface area of contact - the smaller the area of contact, the greater the pressure.
If a a hand was 10cm by 15cm, it's surface area is 10*15=150cm squared.
A prong might be 1mm by 1mm, i.e. 0.1cm by 0.1cm, with a surface area of 0.01cm squared.
So as the ratio of surface areas is 150/0.01=15000,
i.e. a single prong puts 15000 times as much pressure on the dog's skin as a hand would to apply the same force.

A knowledge of physics also lets me know that although the lead tension would make the prongs stick in all around the collar, any forward force of the dog can only be countered by the prongs in the sensitve front of the dogs neck (I could go into 'equal and opposite forces' law of physics here), so the 'pressure' there could be concentrated by 4 times greater there than you might otherwise assume, if the dog were to be charging forward.

So if there were 5 prongs in the front of the neck region to share the force across, that's 15000/5 = giving only 3000 times the pressure (at each prong) of the hand pressure required to holding the dog back.

So it's a bit like a pitchfork... if you look at the points really closely they are actually quite blunt compared to a sharp knife, and you can rest a pitch fork on your boot (if you're brave) - but as there are only a few small points of contact, with enough force behind it, it can do a lot of damage!
like his long leaded 'pops' that are advised as his introduction to these collars!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
As Tassle says I'm not using prongs to the extent of other tools, however the technique is based around negative reinforcement regardless of tool useage.

Why dodgy Rune, whats your technique? If its so fantastic lets have some details. I think I have been fairly consitent in discussing my methods openly.

Adam
I am trying hard not to argue with idiots---so no I am not discussing anything with you---you are a waste of space IMO---go and fawn round your puppetmaster.

rune
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 11:17 PM
But you are also speculating that it hurts and the dog is unhappy.

Adam
Oh gosh Adam - really????

Its not a risk I am willing to take. I would rather be fair to the animal!!!

.....but yes - in the same way that you tell me it does not hurt because of the reaction you see from dogs - I will say it does because they hurt me!

It comes down to the fact you are playing with painful tools - and you do not seem to mind that they can inflict pain.
mike_c
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-02-2011, 11:38 PM
I have found with my methods this doesn't seem to happen as such, yes the dogs still get attacked, but because they have learnt that calm behaviour is the way to deal with aversives that feeds into the rest of their life and they seem to be able to cope with the attacks much better.
However have spoken to people who use my methods with out stooge dogs and they say the same thing, the dog just gets more confident.
Adam
Then again, some people's "confident" "calm behaviour" response to being attacked might be another's "learnt helplessness" as psychologists like to call it?
Similar to wife-beaters having such non-agressive calm wifes.

I once had a truely confident dog, an enormous muscle bound lab, never agressive, never attacked or got attacked, just incredibly good body language that other dogs picked up on and seemed to make them be on their best behaviour.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Never used one (and never will) - but I did study advanced physics, so sorry to bore anyone with some maths.
Adam is actually right about this...

'Pressure' is the ratio of force being applied divided by the total surface area of contact - the smaller the area of contact, the greater the pressure.
If a a hand was 10cm by 15cm, it's surface area is 10*15=150cm squared.
A prong might be 1mm by 1mm, i.e. 0.1cm by 0.1cm, with a surface area of 0.01cm squared.
So as the ratio of surface areas is 150/0.01=15000,
i.e. a single prong puts 15000 times as much pressure on the dog's skin as a hand would to apply the same force.

A knowledge of physics also lets me know that although the lead tension would make the prongs stick in all around the collar, any forward force of the dog can only be countered by the prongs in the sensitve front of the dogs neck (I could go into 'equal and opposite forces' law of physics here), so the 'pressure' there could be concentrated by 4 times greater there than you might otherwise assume, if the dog were to be charging forward.

So if there were 5 prongs in the front of the neck region to share the force across, that's 15000/5 = giving only 3000 times the pressure (at each prong) of the hand pressure required to hold the dog back.

So it's a bit like a pitchfork... if you look at the points really closely they are actually quite blunt compared to a sharp knife, and you can rest a pitch fork on your boot (if you're brave) - but as there are only a few small points of contact, with enough force behind it, it can do a lot of damage!
Interesting - thanks for taking the time to post it up. So, am I correct that the prong collar, far from exerting pressure all around the neck, the pressure is still concentrated at the front of the neck when the dog pulls?
mike_c
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Interesting - thanks for taking the time to post it up. So, am I correct that the prong collar, far from exerting pressure all around the neck, the pressure is still concentrated at the front of the neck when the dog pulls?
From an applied mathematics point of view (I never thought it would come in handy):

If the dog is static, and tension applied very slowly, the tension would be relatively evenly distributed about the whole collar. (To be precise, there would be a small additional pressure on the front of the neck due to the resolved pull of the weight of the lead.)

If a dog is trying to charge forward, and the person isn't:
There are large, equal and opposite, forces at each end of the lead - the person pulling on to the lead for dear life at one end, the dog pulling in the other direction.
To explain the forces here without diagrams, an approximate model is just to imagine a square necked dog wearing a normal leather dog collar, but pulling hard against the lead:

There is actually a small gap at the back of the dogs neck where the leather collar is pulled towards the owner and away from contact with the dog - if the dog and collar aren't even touching, none of the dog's pull is coming from there.

At the sides of the neck, the collar is pulled tight by tension, but as the sides are at right angles to the pull force coming from the owner, the sides can't contribute effectively to the dog's pull against the owner.
Think of trying to jump start a car if you had to (a) pull not push, and (b) were only allowed to touch the drivers side window glass... if the surface being touched is sideways on to the direction you want to apply the force, the only force you can apply is through friction, and there isn't much of that.
In the case of prongs, they would stick into the dogs skin, so have some grip, but a dog's skin is mobile and can move about, so even then not much force could be transferred. There's not many bones in the neck region for prongs to get a really good grip on.

So by a process of elimination, virtually all the dog pull force opposing the owner's pull force has to be working against the front of the dogs neck. It's like when you open a fridge door, your fingers loop around and have to pull at the back of the handle, i.e. that bit that is facing away from you.

Unfortunately, on the dog, the bit facing away from you is the throat, which is why even normal collars yanked really hard can cause throat damage... but with the added pressure concentration of the prongs - I hate to think of it!
I certainly wouldn't want to charge into someone holding a pitchfork up against my larynx.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Sorry by big fuss I meant make a big fuss of their dog when they see another dog. Counter condition basically

Adam
thats not CC, thats praising the fear....... jeez get your hands off!!!!!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Sorry by big fuss I meant make a big fuss of their dog when they see another dog. Counter condition basically

If their dog reacts, recall or down or whatever interruption command we have used.

Interestingly I have found some dogs really benifit from their owners making a fuss of other dogs, they see it as a signal the owners are comfortable around that dog.

Adam
not Counter conditioning, but classical conditioning.

you need to be careful how you do that...tis a good idea if you are generally chatting away perkily petting the dog, but many people end up reassuring the dog, reinforcing its fear.

it comes down to timing....at the very earliest sign, the very first body langauge signal, you can distract your dog from its increasing focus by chatting, singing, fussing, playing, giving treats, etc.

if the dog is already reached its fear pinnacle, i think you are probably best of walking away, as any attention at that stage is risky.

its not even worht thinking in terms of conditioning theory at all, its probably better to think in terms of cognitive emotional connections.....if you can teach the dog to get used to choosing to come to you for a fuss, treat, game, or to sniff the ground, whatever, as soon as it sees the scary thing, then thats brill.
That's the dog course correcting itself.

dunno how this evolved from prong collar chats, but i like this bit, cant be assed reading another hundred pages of the same old same old.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 09:47 AM
From an applied mathematics point of view (I never thought it would come in handy):

If the dog is static, and tension applied very slowly, the tension would be relatively evenly distributed about the whole collar. (To be precise, there would be a small additional pressure on the front of the neck due to the resolved pull of the weight of the lead.)

If a dog is trying to charge forward, and the person isn't:
There are large, equal and opposite, forces at each end of the lead - the person pulling on to the lead for dear life at one end, the dog pulling in the other direction.
To explain the forces here without diagrams, an approximate model is just to imagine a square necked dog wearing a normal leather dog collar, but pulling hard against the lead:

There is actually a small gap at the back of the dogs neck where the leather collar is pulled towards the owner and away from contact with the dog - if the dog and collar aren't even touching, none of the dog's pull is coming from there.

At the sides of the neck, the collar is pulled tight by tension, but as the sides are at right angles to the pull force coming from the owner, the sides can't contribute effectively to the dog's pull against the owner.
Think of trying to jump start a car if you had to (a) pull not push, and (b) were only allowed to touch the drivers side window glass... if the surface being touched is sideways on to the direction you want to apply the force, the only force you can apply is through friction, and there isn't much of that.
In the case of prongs, they would stick into the dogs skin, so have some grip, but a dog's skin is mobile and can move about, so even then not much force could be transferred. There's not many bones in the neck region for prongs to get a really good grip on.

So by a process of elimination, virtually all the dog pull force opposing the owner's pull force has to be working against the front of the dogs neck. It's like when you open a fridge door, your fingers loop around and have to pull at the back of the handle, i.e. that bit that is facing away from you.

Unfortunately, on the dog, the bit facing away from you is the throat, which is why even normal collars yanked really hard can cause throat damage... but with the added pressure concentration of the prongs - I hate to think of it!
I certainly wouldn't want to charge into someone holding a pitchfork up against my larynx.
Thank you for the further explanation. Interesting stuff
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post

I've asked you to speculate on why they work Adam, but, so far, your 'answers' have been non-answers.

The prongs on a prong collar take relatively small amounts of skin - they hurt.
Exactly.

Wys
x
Closed Thread
Page 39 of 71 « First < 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 > Last »