View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 12:04 PM
you could give me the nicest dog on this forum, within a short time I could turn it into a compleat nutter that flew at everyone and everything,

You could give me a badly behaved dog from the forum, I could improve that dog,
my point being, you get from a dog what you put into it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
The owners cannot register them but a court can order them to be entered onto the Index of Exempted Dogs and thereafter the dog is legally owned so long as the restrictions (muzzling, leashing, etc.) are adhered to.

Here is a registered pitbull type...

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjPZcKoTIWE&feature=channel[/url

[So it goes again...
But does not the dog have to come to the attention of the court in the firs tplace , to be placed on a register

So anyone wishing to breed and own pitbulls can aproach the court with their intention of breeding and owning pits, and they can become legal
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
yes they all knew that they where buying healthy happy family dogs that were not bred to fight and were not born to fight. they were just born dogs they have been spayed and neutered and registered too.
I'm sorry Liverbird but how could they know this when breeding these dogs is illegal and must necessarily be a secretive activity? And even if this was the case what dog-lover would choose to own a breed that is condemned to death by the laws of this country from the moment of it's birth? Irrespective of whether it's the sweetest, most lovely family pet on the planet it will be destroyed if brought to the attention of the authorities??? How can you not see that this is a problem?

Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I assume that the poster may have been referring to when the DDA/BSL became law in 1991.Owners of those dogs previously legally owned where given until March 1992 to register their dogs with the Index of Exempted Dogs in order to avoid prosecution. Registering the dogs meant the owners had to comply with the following restrictions:

The dogs had to be:

Neutered
Micro chipped
Tattooed with exemption number on the inside of the back leg
Kept on lead at all times in a public place
Muzzled at all times in a public place
Not to be owned or walked by a person under 16 years of age
To be covered by third party liability insurance cover.

That's all I can think off.
So Liverbird is obviously misinformed regarding this, in what else has she and her family been misinformed?

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So there is one rule for some to own ilegal friendly/pet pits, but another for those who own not so friendly ones.

What about the law , you seem to have dismissed...a pit is an ilegal dog.

And as long as people take that attitude, the problem will never be fixed.
Have to say I agree with Jackbox.

Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
If the dogs are registered then they are not illegal and the law has not been dismissed.
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong - they had until 1992 to register these dogs that were previously legal - that would make them all 17 years old now if they were babies when they law was brought in - the dog in the pictures on here didn't look 17 to me....so how can it be registered, or am I missing something?
Exactly, these dogs can't be registered and as long as people are prepared to part with their money unscrupulous people will be prepared to breed them and lets face it the majority of their customers will be looking for a 'hard' looking aggressive dog, not a well balanced family pet. So there will be more tragedies just waiting to happen.

J.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post

Forgive me if I'm wrong - they had until 1992 to register these dogs that were previously legal - that would make them all 17 years old now if they were babies when they law was brought in - the dog in the pictures on here didn't look 17 to me....so how can it be registered, or am I missing something?
I don't know Lorna,maybe I am missing something too,think Liverbird needs to clear this up for us.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 12:13 PM
It's very risky posting pics of a dog which one admits to being part pitbull as police do look at forums like this (I have a friend in CID).

You may like to consider removing the photos?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I don't know Lorna,maybe I am missing something too,think Liverbird needs to clear this up for us.

Me too, along with johnderondon posts , I am at a loss.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So anyone wishing to breed and own pitbulls can aproach the court with their intention of breeding and owning pits, and they can become legal
Not breeding because one of the conditions is neutering but essentially, yes, since the '97 amendment a person could approach the police (not the court directly) and ask for their dog to be assessed and, if of type, to be entered onto the Index.

Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
I'm sorry Liverbird but how could they know this when breeding these dogs is illegal and must necessarily be a secretive activity?
Even perfectly legal breeds can produce dogs which are of 'type'. It's not illegal to breed a staff and a mastiff or a sharpei and a retriever yet the offspring upon maturity may become illegal. It's one of the failings of our current legislation.

Exactly, these dogs can't be registered
Yes, they can. The majority of owners whose dogs are seized as 'type' are successful in their application to have the dogs entered onto the Index.

Pretty much the only cases where they are not entered onto the Index is if they fail temperament tests, or are involved in a crime or where there are several puppies (because, once registered, the dogs cannot change owner).

Edit to add: Of course stray dogs have no owner to fight for them so they are doomed regardless of temperament.
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
I agree and as for killing the dog myself - how many of us who have heard of a child being murdered (never mind if it was our child) advocate the death penalty being brought back. If my child had been killed by a dog or a person I would be very vengful.

Rehabilitation - who on here would like a "rehabilitated" child murderer next door to them or would be willing to take the dog on that has just killed this child? Lets be sensible here.
Humans and dogs do not think the same, i do not think thst dogs premeditate murder, that is why a human murder is different as there is the intent, i think the dog is more guilty of manslaughter in this case hence a human death is required not a 'stabbing'.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't think Borderdawn was calling you an idiot. You said that the dog, after killing a person, should be rehabiliated and PTS "as a last resort". I totally agree that any person attempting to 'rehabiliate' such a dog would be boarding on idiocy given what the dog had done. After a dog has caused fatal damage there is no 'rehabilitation'. When there are plenty of dogs out there that have never hurt never mind killed a person needing rehabilitating, why waste time and effort on a dangerously unstable dog?
yes, thank you- and you managed to express that without being rude, so it can be done.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So you agree that saying it could be rehabilitated is a bit far fetched? I didnt call YOU an idiot, I said there are idiots like that, meaning those that would take on such an animal are idiots! I certainly stand by that. My question was perhaps you would like it? That stands too, would you take such a dog on?
No i would not, i do not consider myself a dog trainer, i am just a dog owner and lover, i do not have the skill or patience to rehabilitate a problem dog, there are professionals that do that sort of thing. i am not a dog professional, why would i want to take it on?
I do however know of a 'dog professional' lady that would consider taking it on, it is her job, she has the facilities and the skill and patience, she will only have a dog pts as a last resort.......... and is obviously an idiot.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I for one and not defending this dog that took away this poor child life.
It should of been killed, and if that means shoot it because its the safest way then so be it.
If i was there and saw such an attack, I would not think twice about shooting it myself!
Children come before any dog in my opin.

But I also feel that this dog was not just your average family pet, it had been aggressive to neighbours, had been reported for snarling at people in the street.
The address had been reported for breeding aggressive, illegal pitbulls terriers.
Does your average owner...own, breed, and sale aggressive and illegal breeds?
Would you let someone look after your children somewhere these things are taken place?
Did the people who own aggressive pits and were breeding them, think about who they were selling these dogs to, and what could happen to them or there kids?

The child was an inoccent victim, but the people at the address were not (be it familly members or friends.)
This poor child payed the ultimate price, and should of never been in that situation.
The dog killed this child yes, but let me ask you all whos responsible?
Is the dog responsible? or is the person/s who was breeding, owning, aggressive illegal dogs responsible?

In my opin, its the person who owns, breeds the aggressive, illegal dogs that is responsible, and someone who does this god only knows how these dogs were treated and trainned.

Again my heart goes out to the poor boy who died.
R.I.P Little man
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
And sorry yes- for the record I think in this case rehabilitation is a bit far fetched.........my mistake, forgive me.
Page 39 of 53 « First < 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 > Last »