Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Nice to see a well-balanced piece of broadcasting with a range of views.

Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Interesting.

I didn't read the article that was placed on here, due to the first sentance. I don;t feel an article that starts like that will be fair.

However - when I mentioned this to someone else, she said, well its true and it says a lot about him.

I haven;t watched enough of the episodes to comment on him. I will not watch programmes like this unless for a specific reason - I do not want to give them the ratings. It is nice to see him mentioning that his way is not the only way and I very much agree with what the guy said at the end of the report - I just wish more people would pay attention to that!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I very much agree with what the guy said at the end of the report - I just wish more people would pay attention to that!
I agree too, but unfortunately stupid is as stupid does.

I liked the fact that he said it wasn't the only way and I have to say that I am very disappointed he was using a shock collar. Although I don't remember him using one in that episode? It was the one where he was getting the dog and the cat to get along I think.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I would not want to condone all that he does but neither would I want to say that he has nothing to offer in the way of training dogs.
Hi Talassie I would agree that CM may have something to offer in the way of training dogs, but in many instances I think he is sending out wrong messages to the public one message being that it is ok to kick a dog and to choke it into submission.

I noticed a list of videos on the side of the one posted by Skilaki . I had a quick look at one using a full screen....

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dog-whisperer#tab-Videos/05998_00

..This spaniel likes playing with tissues and may even be possessive of them so reluctant to give them up. CM answer to this is to choke the dog, notice how it screams in fear. The problem could have been treated by offering the dog a swap with the tissues and teaching it to 'give' so there would be no risk of this dog associating tissues with a negative experience in the future.

I think the fact that CM may occasionally treat a dog using desensitisation and positive reinforcement methods can lead people to believe all of the methods he uses are the most appropriate methods to use when they are not as agreed by most respected behaviourists and trainers. Even with a 'health warning' on the videoes some people will try some of the methods and to me this is dangerous for both the dogs and the owners.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 10:48 AM
As the guy on the clip said it will give hope to dog owners that their problems can be solved.
Hopefully sensible owners will enlist the help of a trainer to show them how to retrain the dog. As for the others ... well if they think they can sort it out themselves they are unlikely to seek anyone's help including reward based trainers.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, firstly have to say, well done to the Broadcaster for actually showing a balanced report!

Milan reacted to critisism exactly how I imagined he would. I think he is a good, honest man. He obviously understands that his methods don't work for every dog but certainly it works for many.

The information at the end, regarding the charities, etc., he is involved with, has made me even more sure that CM has so much to offer in a positive way.

Seeing the behaviour of some of those dogs in the short clips, makes me wonder whether any Trainer's methods would work for them. They were extreme cases, in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't like to have to train dogs so out of control as those shown.

If anything, this clip has made me even more Pro CM, so thank you for posting it
Meg
Supervisor

25-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
http://www.komonews.com/home/video/3...?video=pop&t=a

Hi CandD I note the clip shows the behaviour I mentioned earlier in the thread 'redirected aggression' and how suppressed aggression will often find an outlet somewhere and can be redirect onto other people/animals/things later, the 'ticking time bomb'.

It also mentions 'cutting off the dogs air supply' also known as choking, a method CM regularly seems to use to force dogs to submit to him .

I am still waiting for one of the CM admirers to tell me why it was necessary to kick and choke the dog shown in Skilaki's video clip when it was standing calmly?

Referring to the clip I posted showing the spaniel, I wonder what reaction people would have if they saw someone in the street with their hands around a dogs neck choking it until it screams with fear and pain ...
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Sorry, I must have missed some of the clips. Don't have time to check all through the thread (many many posts and cooking dinner inbetween checking out Dogsey) so would anyone be kind enough to direct me to the clips Minihaha is referring to. Many thanks
Meg
Supervisor

25-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Sorry, I must have missed some of the clips. Don't have time to check all through the thread (many many posts and cooking dinner inbetween checking out Dogsey) so would anyone be kind enough to direct me to the clips Minihaha is referring to. Many thanks
Hi CheekyChi how can you form an opinion on the points people have made and comment on them if you don't read all the thread ?
Here is the spaniel having its air supply restricted..

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ideos/05998_00

And here is the 'out of control dog' which appears to be standing and walking calmly until CM gives it a back kick and restricts its air supply, don't know about you but I would put up a fight if some strong man did this to me and having failed in my attempt to dislodge him I would ' play dead'
post 233
Page 38 of 40 « First < 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 >