register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 38 of 84 « First < 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 > Last »
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Unfortunately what CM says and what he does are two entirely different things and the vast majority of people will look at what he does rather than what he says. Sadly what he does is bully, intimidate, force and abuse dogs.
Becky
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I really don't understand all this anti-CM stuff. He generally gives good advice to owners (exercise, exercise and more exercise), some of his methods are questionable (alpha roll), but a lot of what he does is just common sense.
Some of the basic advice is good but is not really from CM but from many dog trainers before him. He is just copying or agreeing with, their experience...

I think it is about finding a method of training which works best for you AND your dog. I have found that his hand 'biting' thing to get the dogs attention just does not work; or at least not with the level of force he is willing to use.

However some of his other methods seem to work very well..... Also we have to remember that a lot of the time he is dealing with VERY extreme cases 'red zone' dogs which would probably be PTS by the owners if the issue wasn't sorted quickly.
Does anyone know if it was CM who coined the term "red zone"? I wondered, as it sounds suitably dramatic!

Because he believes dogs need to submit to a leader (based on pack leadership which is highly questionable anyway ... because it originated from studies that gave wrong information to scientists) he makes this happen, no matter what. Even if a dog is showing signs of fear or appeasement or fear aggression, he will often force them to attack him so he can choke them into being quiet.

This is one thing i so dislike about his methods. He could use less harsh methods, like many good trainers and behaviourists in the UK and US who also work with very difficult and aggressive dogs.

The Michael Vick pitbulls were rehabbed via much calmer, kinder methods than his. So that proves beyond doubt that his methods are not needed to help a very difficult dog, as many of us know already

Some good info is here:

Answering the fans; "I have never seen him hurt a dog"

http://www.4pawsu.com/cesarfans.htm

and some good up to date info on why "pack leader" doesn't mean much to a dog:

http://www.4pawsu.com/dogpsychology.htm

I know of someone in the US who has had CM to their rescue kennels, but after seeing someone else who used more modern up to date methods, she is now planning to guide the rescue into the modern methods , not the old methods based on dominance promoted by CM.

Wys
x
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I really don't understand all this anti-CM stuff. He generally gives good advice to owners (exercise, exercise and more exercise), some of his methods are questionable (alpha roll), but a lot of what he does is just common sense.

I think it is about finding a method of training which works best for you AND your dog. I have found that his hand 'biting' thing to get the dogs attention just does not work; or at least not with the level of force he is willing to use.

However some of his other methods seem to work very well..... Also we have to remember that a lot of the time he is dealing with VERY extreme cases 'red zone' dogs which would probably be PTS by the owners if the issue wasn't sorted quickly.
I do agree that you have to find a method that works for you and your dog and CM may not be for everyone.
I found for me that much of the British training methods were far to humanised and dumbed down my dogs. They just tended to look at me "gone out" but with CM and our initial trainer who used similar techniques they responded well, sorting difficulties often with just a couple of attempts, i never felt they were being bullied-they loved all the attention and as i said before my foster dogs are responding well too. I foster a lot of scared exbreeding dogs, so any bullying techniques i can assure everyone would send them backwards. So in conclusion-I never felt CM needed to improve.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Many people on here work with similar dogs.....and you will find they tend to be the ones who disagree more strongly with his methods....generally because it is not actually solving any problems ...but it makes good TV....
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I find people who believe the hype are those who have never read up on modern methods. Have a read of Jean Donaldson`s The Culture Clash and compare it with the CM way.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Unfortunately what CM says and what he does are two entirely different things and the vast majority of people will look at what he does rather than what he says. Sadly what he does is bully, intimidate, force and abuse dogs.
Becky
You forgotten to add to the list the number of dogs he has saved from premature death, Becky.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
You forgotten to add to the list the number of dogs he has saved from premature death, Becky.
I would love to see the list of dogs who other good positive trainers have failed with who REALLY were on their last chance before being put to sleep that he has saved

as a pose to the dogs that the owners training has made so bad that they are at their wits end but have tried no other trainers than CM

and compair that to the list of dogs who have been cm'ed and ended up having to go on and be properly rehabilitated by other trainers
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2009, 09:10 PM
O no....the CM thread is back.

Being harsh....breeds harshness.
Being kind, breeds kindness.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Would that list comprise of what we see at the end of his programee, when we see his follow up... a couple of wks later.......

Do you have data showing his red zone cases are living as good canines, mths and mths after he has visited them.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 09:27 AM
and I also forgot to mention the numbers of dogs that have been abused, traumatised and attacked their owners who have used these methods as well.
If you can't see how abusive this man is then I really feel for the dogs of anyone who believes his methods are a acceptable.
becky
Closed Thread
Page 38 of 84 « First < 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 > Last »