View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Both my dogs tend to be unharnessed and i sometimes let Muffin let her head out the window since she enjoys it so much and looks so funny but I may now have to rethink this. I have a seatbelt for them but I tend not to connect them.

Feel quite guilty for not even thinking about eye infections etc. Didnt even come into my mind.

Will need to stop letting her do it
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2010, 12:55 PM
No, have never done it, just dont think it's safe
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
Over the last 15 years we have been shunted up the rear by other negligent car drivers 4 times and the last one was on the junction from the M40 onto the sliproad of the A34 where we were sat waiting for the traffic lights to change when a car smashed into our car - had our dogs been unsecured in the boot they would have flown through the air and hit us - by unsecured I personally mean without a dog guard or crate, seatbelt or harness. Luckily, thery were not with us but it just goes to show.
Thats great, if its an option. Its not for everyone though. I do not have a car, its my mums. She would never let me get a guard specifically for the car, especially when he is in the car so little. And any other one wont be secure enough. We had one for my old boy, and it was rubbish so I wouldnt get the same one again. The gap between the top of the seats and the roof is small anyway. When I get a car, he will have a harness but that also isnt an option just now as my mums car is new, so she doesnt want him on the back seats especially as sometimes he gets very sick in the car. Thats her decision. So I use the best option available for us, and what I consider safe.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Oh very true, and when you hit back you get called a bully or the posts get removed. I don't harness my dogs, they sit in the boot space behind the back seat, always have and always will.
x
I know what you mean, some members seem to be able to say whatever they want but whenever other members stand up to them, they are in the wrong and are criticised for it!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Tbh I can see remarks from both sides that are ott, but I must admit I would of thought the two people on this thread that as far as I know work as nurses would appreitate safety more, as I'm sure that they see the damages that can be caused by car crashes an awful lot, ok when the people are in need of care you may not know who had a dog in the back or not as that wouldn't come into the care that the person in needs, but I would of thought that they would appreiate what can happen more then other people, and see the need for restraints for all passengers (including animal), whether that be car seat harness, dog gaurds, dog crates anything, tbh as long as your dogs are as restrained as they can be, and in the safety that a vechile can provide (although in a crash this more then likely isn't a lot espcially in a high impact crash) and not leaving the dogs in the foot wells, or on the seats in the back without any restraints whatsoever, as even though they are there, in the event of a crash they are still unrestrained and a danger to themselves and others

Mind you unforantly it isn't a law as of yet to restrain animals in cars etc, and I think that it should be, I feel that it can save lives, and it makes the journey safer for the animal too.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2010, 02:44 PM
I think reading some of the comments on here shows just how difficult it is to decide what the best thing to do really is.

I have Bobs in a crate in the boot and have been happy with that. He can stand or sit up, turn around or lie at more or less full stretch, but what if I am involved in a rear end shunt? Would he be safe then? Maybe not.

If I have him on a harness inside the car, then he doesn't have the same range of movement as in the crate, may get restless and distract me, and I will spend the journey worrying about him not being able to move freely.

If he is totally unfettered, then there is a risk to driver, passengers and dog if I am in a crash, and the dog could also escape from the car and run out onto the road.

I will still have him in the crate - it seems the best option for me, but I am not totally happy with the idea of him being back there.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I know what you mean, some members seem to be able to say whatever they want but whenever other members stand up to them, they are in the wrong and are criticised for it!
Why are you using the thread to have a dig at those you have had a disagreement with at some time or another.

Your story has changed a few times on this , you allow Jake to stick his head out the window, because you see no danger, then he is behid a dog guard and can only just get his nose out, now your mum calls the shots.

Lozzi, no one is forcing their opinion onto you , what they are doing is pointing out the danger of the exercise , but in typical form you are taking it as criticism , and being picked on.

I said earlier on in this thread, I don't really care if people take risks with their dogs. As long as no innocent bystander gets hurt.

Your dog your choice.

Rips...bit of a low jibe to bring azz into it to back you up!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 04:57 PM
I can't believe on this forum you cant even disgaree or have a debate with some one with out claiming to be picked on or mentioning others, and what was said in other threads highly laughable.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
I think reading some of the comments on here shows just how difficult it is to decide what the best thing to do really is.

I have Bobs in a crate in the boot and have been happy with that. He can stand or sit up, turn around or lie at more or less full stretch, but what if I am involved in a rear end shunt? Would he be safe then? Maybe not.

If I have him on a harness inside the car, then he doesn't have the same range of movement as in the crate, may get restless and distract me, and I will spend the journey worrying about him not being able to move freely.

If he is totally unfettered, then there is a risk to driver, passengers and dog if I am in a crash, and the dog could also escape from the car and run out onto the road.

I will still have him in the crate - it seems the best option for me, but I am not totally happy with the idea of him being back there.
I remember reading about a dog that had been in a crate in an estate car that had been in a bad accident where the car was hit in the rear (car was written off) and the dog was completely unharmed. It was a Labrador so I think this is a safe option.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Why are you using the thread to have a dig at those you have had a disagreement with at some time or another.

Your story has changed a few times on this , you allow Jake to stick his head out the window, because you see no danger, then he is behid a dog guard and can only just get his nose out, now your mum calls the shots.

Lozzi, no one is forcing their opinion onto you , what they are doing is pointing out the danger of the exercise , but in typical form you are taking it as criticism , and being picked on.

I said earlier on in this thread, I don't really care if people take risks with their dogs. As long as no innocent bystander gets hurt.

Your dog your choice.

Rips...bit of a low jibe to bring azz into it to back you up!!
But it happens time and time again, on this thread and many others and it really gets beyond a joke.

At no point have I said jake is behind a dog guard, coz he isnt and I specifically said he wasnt. I also explained that I dont have a car, and he only goes in my mums or bfs car and it is their decision in what way he can travel. Which I said right from the first post explaining how jake travels! So I havent changed it!
Page 36 of 49 « First < 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 46 > Last »