View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-11-2010, 11:51 PM
While looking at some information on e collars I read a number of case histories of dogs who had been subjected to them, some were quite horrific and very sad. Because they were on forums I can't post links to them on here.
Here from the many I have read are a couple of e collar cases from another site
A local trainer was doing shock collar demos at a pet expo where my club was doing clicker and agility demos. She was using her 5 month old Jack Russell Terrier (JRT) as the demo dog.
The puppy got out of her crate when this trainer left her booth, and ran loose around the expo. A friend of mine caught the puppy and was carrying it around looking for the trainer. My friend noticed that the puppy shook hard in her arms intermittently. my friend then noticed that when the puppy shook, the red light on her collar was on. The trainer was trying to find her puppy by shocking it as a cue to recall.

The next year, at the same pet expo, we had another shock training demo. after the demo, the trainer was taking his two GSD's outside and the collar broke on one of them. the entire audience saw this happen.
The collar was burning the dog and would not turn off. the dog was screaming at the top of its lungs and bolted for the open exit door. The trainer was shouting at him to SIT! SIT! while he was trying to turn off the collar with his remote, and he couldn’t turn it off. The dog was screaming and running. and the other German Shepherd was in a total panic because he was off leash and was trying to stay in heel position with the trainer who was running after the other dog. This trainer had walked his dogs all around the expo off-leash and would shock them if they got out of position. Finally the trainer caught up to the screaming dog and grabbed the collar and literally ripped it off the dog's neck while continuing to yell SIT!
I realized I was crying and holding my Sheltie/Border collie/Jack Russell Snap, who only weighs 20 pounds, really tight against my chest as if to protect him. and I yelled really loud, "I guess electricity doesn't always work to train dogs! That's a shock!" A bunch of people laughed.
Later I was mortified that I lost it and behaved unprofessionally. But the image of those two Shepherds is burned into my mind, many months later. my heart is beating faster as I relive this, actually.
Leslie McDevitt

Erdenheim PA
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 12:17 AM
The terrible thing is that there are many, many more accounts like this. Some ending with the dog being put through unnecessary suffering, some culminating in the death of a dog so traumatised by its experiences that the owner feels there is no other choice.

Ask any trainer who has seen the fall-out from the damned things and they will all say the same - ban them!!!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Hmm well this adam isnt holding his own quite so well!

And dosent know how this invisible fence is trained with the buzzer noise and stuff
But Im not going to go into that because I dont want anyone to read what I say and try and train their dog with it - just put up a fence!

as for dogs not having a good enough recal with just treats

It is so sad that a trainer who charges money cannot teach a rewarding recal
I would say Mias recal is still not great, still a WIP, but today I called her from rabbit hunting about 500m away, she ran full pelt the whole distance and actually skidded to a sit infront of me with the biggest grin on her face - her reward - I sent her to chase rabbits again
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Whats important is conditioning the dog to respond to the stim in the way you want.

So with the collie we spent the first session just working on recall with the collar, teaching her that whenever she felt the stim she could turn it off by turning twards us.

2nd session just the same but around sheep, initially on long line then off lead.

3rd session off lead on the moors with sheep appearing out of bushes ect and triggering the prey drive with the element of sudden appearance.

Note first and 2nd session was actually two sessions run together.

As long as you do this you will find the dog realises it has to come back, theres no element of blasting through like an e fence (usually at the point the dog feels the fence he's past the point of turning anyway) because you just hold the button down until the dog turns back! In some cases its actually bets to let the dog really go for it to show the dog no matter how high on the chase/kill he is he has to come back.

Adam
Adam, WTH!! Anyone that knows dogs would know they don't think like us!! That is a human thought not a dog thought!! and to bait a dog up to "let the dogs really go for it" is just about the stupidest thing I have heard!!

As it has been shown to you before, dogs are not always able to understand why the pain has being caused, and for you to think the dog will just turn around and come straight back to you if foolish, the dog could run a mile, I know if you put it on the JRT I had right now that dog would take off in fear mode and could end up anywhere but near me as an e-collar would put her into a high level of fear mode, and you yourself have stated to have put it on dogs with fear issues would not be 'ideal', yet put it on dogs that need rehabilitating!! The girl I have needs rehabilitating and was dumped into the pound as a chook chaser.
You make little sense of what a 'decent' trainer would do, you may think you are one but you are nothing other than a glorified e-collar salesman.
A true trainer would know the behaviour behind prey drive, about curbing some behaviours not suppressing them and the time it takes, you look for instant results, deny any study or posts made in regards to the things that can go wrong, show you know little about dog mentality and have said nothing about a certain poster getting an e-collar on the readings of your post, with no consult on how to work it as irresponsible, dangerous and the fact there seems to be little attempt on the poster trying to curb the behaviour before resorting to a painful way about training.
Speaks volumes doesn't it
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
While looking at some information on e collars I read a number of case histories of dogs who had been subjected to them, some were quite horrific and very sad. Because they were on forums I can't post links to them on here.
Here from the many I have read are a couple of e collar cases from another site
That is truly sad reading Minihaha
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
With an e collar the dog stops the discomfort in a sec.
No matter how fast your dog is he isn't going to get back to you quicker than that for a treat is he?

Adam
want for a treat does not cause discomfort,
but if you train it properally you will already be Praising/clicking the actually running bit of the recall, so he treat becomes ust a motivator, not the main form of reward.
The dog will enjoy charging back on the recall because of the excited praise the owner /trainer is giving
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Can anyone do a poll? [I am not skilled enough lol]

Do you use a e collar?
Would you use an e collar?

etc etc
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 08:41 AM
In reply to MichaelM

Seeing as you're so concerned about animal welfare - overall, who do you think causes the most pain and suffering for dogs: someone who uses an e-collar as they want to achieve some end result, or irresponsible breeders? How is it that you managed to accidentally produce a litter from your dogs given that you're such a concerned, responsible, caring dog lover?

Having found out that your bitch was pregnant, did you test the sire/dam for genetic problems?
No, is this testing automatic in UK for all dogs?
Were the results clear, and if not did you inform the new owners of the pups of any potenial problems?

Or did you make it clear to the prospective owners it was an accidental mating and that no health tests had been carried out?
Yes.
Did you make them sign a contract stating that if they were unable to keep the dogs for any reason then they must be returned to you, the breeder?
No no contract, but all the people who took my pups know full well that if there are any problems they can bring them straight back to me, I know most of the people who had my pups personally and the other 2 that had pups send me photos and e mails regularly to let me know how they are doing. I would not have let my pups go to anyone I wasn’t happy with If not why not, after all -you brought them into the world.

And while we're on the point of animal welfare:

Can I safely assume that all your other animals are well cared for? How can I be sure given that you too have had an accidental litter? Would you care to answer the questions I posed above to Zoe to regarding your litter?
And yes all my animals are well looked after and cared for, we work really hard on a small farm to make sure all our animals have the best life possible and I find it rude and insulting that with out knowing me you can suggest otherwise.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Can anyone do a poll? [I am not skilled enough lol]

Do you use a e collar?
Would you use an e collar?

etc etc
Jols - I think that 99.9% of the users on here wouldnt and dont use e-collars - have you read the thread - it's heated a little
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
...Everything with e-collars seems to be putting the dog in the situaiton where it is going to get things wrong...then creating pain and rewarding with the removal of the pain....
Yup, and it's the main reason why I feel they need to be banned. It's basically a kind of mental torture.

It's tricking the dog and cheating the bond between dogs and humans. It's lying to the dog.

I wonder if we need to think about asking the powers that be if something could be altered on this forum? I am all for free speech, but sometimes that speech can just end up being a platform for cruelty

Wys
x
Closed Thread
Page 35 of 98 « First < 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 45 85 > Last »