Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Apologies, I haven't read the whole thread and this is probably OT

Just wanted to add that this was my first experience of being at Crufts, and after having the pleasure of watching handlers in Obedience and Agility, and the fantastic gundog displays, both of whom very much got across their point about postive reinforcement...............it was such a let down to see the show dogs in the main arena being jerked about on the leads by their handlers. I saw one Alaksan Malamute get several very angry, harsh jerks on it's choke chain in a row at one point for daring to not stand exactly still in the exact position the handler placed it's feet!!

Surely a basic requirement should be for the dogs to be able to walk/jog on a loosh leash??
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
You do see some who could do better in the handling department at any dog show but more at Crufts.

I saw a handler pick his dog up by its tail and neck to lift it from the table to the floor. He was not english and when I spoke to him he could undersatnd hardly any english.

On an other note a couple getting out of their car with their Stafford did not have it on a lead. It was beautifully behaved, very calm and stood waiting for instruction, they wern't english either.

Having said that I do hold the lead straight up with my Lakeland but there is no tension on the lead, he wouldn't walk if I did.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Basset had ectropian and secondary conjunctivitis according to runes link

Thanks only wanted to know, because this is his "niece" and the owner was worried

_MG_1391 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

She did enter her in a few shows when she was younger, and she did win a few classes, but stopped when people in the breed told her to stop walking her because she was getting too muscled, which was causing her back to dip, and to feed her up as she wasn't big enough , thankfully she saw sense and she's now allowed to be a dog, although i still call her fatty
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Thanks only wanted to know, because this is his "niece" and the owner was worried

_MG_1391 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

She did enter her in a few shows when she was younger, and she did win a few classes, but stopped when people in the breed told her to stop walking her because she was getting too muscled, which was causing her back to dip, and to feed her up as she wasn't big enough , thankfully she saw sense and she's now allowed to be a dog, although i still call her fatty
She's such a cutie

Noones ever said that to me and if they did I would be furious my dog loves her walks.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
She's such a cutie

Noones ever said that to me and if they did I would be furious my dog loves her walks.
Well thats what they told her, if she was ever going to do really well thats what she needed to do, i have a very soft spot for Mavis she spent 6 weeks staying with us when her owner was in hospital, and she was there this morning terrorising the rest of them
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 03:48 PM
I was often told to stop my Kirk from running about and to crate him because he is a lean lad with muscles in his legs.

needless to say I ignored their advice and althoough he is not to everyones taste I have had some sucess with him.

I just said well if that what I have to do to win more thanks but no thanks.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Someone should post pics of all the dogs that were held back...

I dont mind doing it if someone can provide all the names ...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
and seriously can you honestly defend the dogs posted above?? Id
I don`t think I have defended any dog that has been booted or as above... can you find me where I have.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Bassets ate supposed to be circular appearance when viewed from the back, I thought it was having muscley legs that made it that way
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 04:04 PM
If you google working bassets look what comes up. Now you can't say that the show basset isn't exaggerated?!?

I would post a photo but there is a copywrite notice on the page I was looking at, and as it has a forum, I can't post the direct link.

Helen
Page 35 of 40 « First < 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 > Last »