Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I think any dog feels trauma being ripped away from what it knows
I think guide dogs are a little more conditioned to that as they get used to moving around homes a little, and when they are working they still get moved to other homes when the person is on holidayFrom what I have seen even tho the dogs bounce back - some in a fairly short time - every dog suffers when it is rehomed
That is what the honeymoon period is - the dog adjusting to its new life. Some dogs honeymoon period is a week or so some can be over a year

A friend of mine has a dog who right from a puppy stayed in several houses, stays with his parents a couple of days in the week, hers once a week, goes on holidays with them or the parents and stays with friends
He takes things in his stride because it is the norm, he has been socalised to dealing with lots of different houses
He would be pretty easy to rehome

My Ben is used to staying with me in many different locations, he is happy to stay anywhere - just so long as I am there, but he isnt happy in a strange place without me - because that is not what he is used to
So a dog who was bred in a show kennels, always in the same environment
It is going to be more traumatic to be moved - especially into a fireside house - because they have not been used different living environments
I think you are giving the dog far more ability to work out why he is re homed that he is capable of.

So you are saying that a guide dog is more understanding to why he has been taken from a home he has spent yrs in, with an owner who relies on him 24/7..

The guide dog will have had what 2/3 homes, the puppy walker the training centre and then the home he is placed in, where he will spend the majority of his lifetime....yrs in fact, are you seriously telling me the dog will remember all the previous homes in his puppy hood and conditioned himself to being moved on in th efuture

Yes he many go to kennels (of foster homes) for holidays, but so do thousands of other dog, and they dont sit and add up all the homes they have had... they live in the moment, not the past !!

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I think you've missed the point Ben Mc was trying to make. No-one is saying that it is necessarily better for guide dogs & other working dogs to be re-homed when they can no longer fulfil their role. Unfortunately the people that NEED these sort of dogs are not always in a position to keep a dog once it cannot do it's job. They have to get another dog otherwise their own quality of life will be compromised.

The difference with show dogs is that these dogs do no more that fulfil the owner's HOBBY ~ & that's all it is, a hobby! Nobody's quality of life is compromised because these hobbyists can no longer show a particular dog. Unlike a blind person who may be left house-bound or have their independence severely curtailed because their dog can no longer do its work, or a farmer unable to gather in & inspect his flock of sheep because his dog is no longer as active as it used to be. That's a very different kettle of fish to someone who just wants to win prizes for the way their dog looks!!

And whilst this thread started as the reasons why some people are anti-showing, one of the reasons is exactly because some people rehome (or call it discard!) their show dogs when they are no longer capable of winning prizes.

However, on reflection, perhaps the discarded show dogs would be better off in new homes if some of the people that show dogs think no more of their animals than to get rid of them because they won't be so successful at their hobby.

Nope I think you and others are missing my point, or ignoring it ... my point is not about the people, but the dog... regardless of why he is re homed... the dogs welbeing is what counts and a new home is a new home, regardless of why he was re homed to it.

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Thats a lovely post, we all know how you cared for your girl and the breeder certainly sounds like she had her best interests at heart. This is the point I have been trying to get across, that most times it works out to the benefit of the dog. Thank you for sharing your experience

Exactly, but some people just dont want to see that.

[

Originally Posted by tazer;1944167
I am not saying that I agree with large show kennels rehoming dogs after they've retired, just because, [B
but if the owner of the dog, has thought long and hard about it, and feels that it is in the best interests of the now retired dog, then I'm not going to condemn them for it either[/B].

The way I see it is this. To paraphrase Voltaire;

I may disapprove of what you do, but I will defend to the death your right to do it.

I do understand where you are coming from though believe me.

Exactly my point ,
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 04:25 PM
So are you against showing, because you think all the homes rehome their older dogs or run ons? (They don't all rehome.) Do you not like showing because you think the dogs don't enjoy their time in the ring or the pampering beforehand? Or is it because they are pedigree dogs? Because not all dogs are rehomed, dogs that don't like showing will prove it in the ring and pedigree dogs are another thread altogether... Plus not all dogs shown are pedigrees, companion shows have any dogs...!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 05:11 PM
This thread is going around in circles, intesting to read though..

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I really can't see why it is ever right to do it and I find it weird that it is defended so vehemently by people who show and say they would never do it.
rune
Rune, when you say you find it weird because people defend people that do it, but say they never would, are you talking about me?
I have not defended anyone single person for rehoming there dog that is no longer shown/bred/worked/wanted as a pet/wanted in agailty..I have merely said i can UNDERSTAND why some people would rehome a dog to a pet home after its working/showing ect life! Understanding some ones reasons, and defending them is two different things..All i have done in this thread is to try and let others see things from some one that shows, of course i dont agree with alot of things that might go on in showing, but if i choose to understand why some of them things are done then thats my choice, it doesnt at all mean i agree with them.

Just the same as i dont agree with kids being put in care, yet i can understand why in some cases it may be needed! Do you see what i mean? ..
...Oh and before anyone says something (because there bound to), i know this thread is nothing to do with kids in care, i am using it as an example!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Thats a lovely post, we all know how you cared for your girl and the breeder certainly sounds like she had her best interests at heart. This is the point I have been trying to get across, that most times it works out to the benefit of the dog. Thank you for sharing your experience
But if the breeder felt she wasn't getting what she needed with her----why did she get her in the first place? If she truly had her best interests at heart she wouldn't have had her anyway.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
This thread is going around in circles, intesting to read though..

Rune, when you say you find it weird because people defend people that do it, but say they never would, are you talking about me?
I have not defended anyone single person for rehoming there dog that is no longer shown/bred/worked/wanted as a pet/wanted in agailty..I have merely said i can UNDERSTAND why some people would rehome a dog to a pet home after its working/showing ect life! Understanding some ones reasons, and defending them is two different things..All i have done in this thread is to try and let others see things from some one that shows, of course i dont agree with alot of things that might go on in showing, but if i choose to understand why some of them things are done then thats my choice, it doesnt at all mean i agree with them.

Just the same as i dont agree with kids being put in care, yet i can understand why in some cases it may be needed! Do you see what i mean? ..
...Oh and before anyone says something (because there bound to), i know this thread is nothing to do with kids in care, i am using it as an example!
I am NOT just knocking show people who may rehome---I extended it to all activities----but no one is defending that----in fact a couple who do other activities have condemned the practise in their field. Not the showing fraternity though---they are defending it.

I wasn't specifically meaning anyone actually.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
So are you against showing, because you think all the homes rehome their older dogs or run ons? (They don't all rehome.) Do you not like showing because you think the dogs don't enjoy their time in the ring or the pampering beforehand? Or is it because they are pedigree dogs? Because not all dogs are rehomed, dogs that don't like showing will prove it in the ring and pedigree dogs are another thread altogether... Plus not all dogs shown are pedigrees, companion shows have any dogs...!
I am not against showing---or any other dog activity. I think its great that people get out and enjoy their dogs in whichever way they choose to.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I am NOT just knocking show people who may rehome---I extended it to all activities----but no one is defending that----in fact a couple who do other activities have condemned the practise in their field. Not the showing fraternity though---they are defending it.

I wasn't specifically meaning anyone actually.

rune
I don't see how some one can defend it in one activity, and not another!
and I know you said it about all activities, I have been reading the thread.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But does the dog NEED a new home, Is the guide dog going to feel less trauma than the show dog that is re homed..

No one has yet to answer that?? forget the human emotions we place on what is acceptable to re home and not.... the perspective is from the dog point of view. does one type of re homing mean any less to the dog than another.

And thats the base of my argument, from day one... the dogs perspective NOT ours!!
I have already said the ex guide dog I knew well and looked after for many weeks WAS traumatised.

Until I had him I hadn't even thought about it----now I am not sure.

rune

rune
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Nope I think you and others are missing my point, or ignoring it ... my point is not about the people, but the dog... regardless of why he is re homed... the dogs welbeing is what counts and a new home is a new home, regardless of why he was re homed to it.

Exactly my point ,
Yours and my points both.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2010, 09:15 PM
But if the breeder felt she wasn't getting what she needed with her----why did she get her in the first place? If she truly had her best interests at heart she wouldn't have had her anyway.

rune
Well my guess would be the "breeder " bred NOT got her..and unless that particular breeder had second sight and could guarantee the bitches potential, before she bred, then like everyone else who breeds one has to x their fingers and hope that the with the careful planning for said mating is going to produce exactly what you wish for, then its a waiting game.. no-one can predict how a pup will turn out, and thats why breeders "run on" young pups to see how the mature.
Page 34 of 36 « First < 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 >