View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Those who are saying that the dog was in 'attack mode' and therefore there was no choice other than to strangle it until it physically couldn't move anymore...

Would it not work as well for the dog to wear a muzzle so it can't do any harm and wait until it has calmed down to a point where positive methods would work?

Of course I still believe that the situation is agravated. I realise that I'm not a dog but if I were ever in a heightened state of agitation like that dog is, (lets say I'm walking down a dark alley and fear being attacked) and someone is restraining me in a painful manner and they then make contact with me with their foot, or in someother way do something that makes me think they're going to harm me. Well, damn right I'm gonna struggle and attack and do whatever it takes to get out of that.

What would have happened if the choked dog had not given up and kept attacking everytime it was let go, would CM have ended up doing permanent damage or killing it?

Perhaps if the dog cannot be cured by less extreme methods and really is a danger then it would be kinder to pts. I can't imagine the frustration and anxiety it must suffer, which I feel is only enhanced by CM's methods. I know a lot of people on the dog whisperer say that he is their last shot and no other methods have worked but I for one would like to see if any results could really be acheived by a behaviourist that uses positive methods. For me that would be a true test of just how good he is.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
We were told at uni never to use info from Wikipedia as 99% of it is bullsh*t.
It is also well documented elsewhere though,it isn't the only case and I thinkthere are others pending....
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Fairy snuff Ramble
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
If he is such a good trainer..WHY did he have to KICK the dog???

If my dogs grumble they get an "annoyed noise" from me..not a kick!!

The dog was fine til he kicked it..then it kicked off at him...

Damn sure if he had kicked me I would have had a go at him too!!
Agree. He kicked the dog in this clip. I think he did it to start him off so he could get to work on him for the sake of his TV show.

Dickhead!
Ace_Animals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I ditto all those who don't perceive what CM does with his feet to be kicking. Everything should be taken in context and, if CM feels that using his foot of lower leg to "snap" the dog out of whatever mode it is in then I see no harm in that. Just like the person on the other page (who I've forgotten the name of!) said that you have to look at it as the same as patting a dog - is that smacking a dog?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ace_Animals View Post
I ditto all those who don't perceive what CM does with his feet to be kicking. Everything should be taken in context and, if CM feels that using his foot of lower leg to "snap" the dog out of whatever mode it is in then I see no harm in that. Just like the person on the other page (who I've forgotten the name of!) said that you have to look at it as the same as patting a dog - is that smacking a dog?
It depends on the intensity/severity and intention. IMO with CM it is a kick, it looks like a kick, i've seen dogs on his programme react like it was a kick...
How many of his 'clients' (the canine ones) actually look comfortable in his presence?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ace_Animals View Post
Look at the clip again. The dog is walking calmly alongside him, then CM puts his right leg behind his left and kicks the dogs leg!! THAT is when the dog snaps and rears up.

The guy is an arsehole. I've sat on the fence about him until this clip.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
It depends on the intensity/severity and intention. IMO with CM it is a kick, it looks like a kick
I would agree. On the video it definitely looks like a kick to me. Having said that I have seen him use his foot on tv where it looked more like an attention getting tap.
Muze07
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Surely training would be more effective, any kind of training, if it was carried out whilst the dog was not in the so-called 'red zone'. A dog that is so frantic isn't exactly in the best frame of mind for learning I can't imagine.
No dog is in the 'red zone' all the time.

I'm not a fan of the show, whether or not the methods are necessary or just plain abuse is besides the point, they should not so widely promoted on TV.

I cannot bear this attitude, "but it works". I could beat my dogs with baseball bats when they pull on the lead and it might work!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Muze07 View Post
Surely training would be more effective, any kind of training, if it was carried out whilst the dog was not in the so-called 'red zone'. A dog that is so frantic isn't exactly in the best frame of mind for learning I can't imagine.
No dog is in the 'red zone' all the time.

I'm not a fan of the show, whether or not the methods are necessary or just plain abuse is besides the point, they should not so widely promoted on TV.

I cannot bear this attitude, "but it works". I could beat my dogs with baseball bats when they pull on the lead and it might work!!
But this wouldn't bring in the viewing ratings and make him look a hero would it.
Page 32 of 40 « First < 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 > Last »