Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post

But, I do believe that all dogs should be taken on for life, be it as a pet, a show-dog or a breeder
What about the workign dog, do they also not deserve to stay in the same home for the rest of its life..

Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
.... as for breeders or show-owners who re-home their dogs because they're too old (and/or they keep them outside in unheated kennels).. sorry... not a good excuse for me at all.... as I believe that all dogs should be allowed that fireside home, regardless of their breed or job.....

ok, rant over
Where did the unheated kennel come into it??
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup, I guess these things go on in lots of different hobbies - but its only in the showing world that I see so many people defending it
I dont see any obedience, agility of heelwork to music people coming on here and saying its OK to get rid of a dog when it is no longer of use
Maybe they're too scared to say anything for fear of getting slated

I don't think any of us are saying it's necessarily ok, I would much rather see people keep their dogs for life, but if its a choice of seeing life out in a kennelled environment or a fireside home, then the latter is my preference every time and I think that is what most people that seem to be defending rehoming are saying.

I also don't think some show people are the only people that see their dogs as some sort of commodity, to make money from and to exploit, but thats another thread entirely.

Not all show people part with their animals when they are no longer of use, not all show people kennel their dogs. I don't think there was any difference in the way my dogs were raised and kept to someone that doesn't show and simply has dogs that live indoors enjoying family life. If kennelling and rehoming are the only gripes non showers have against showers then its not really a valid reason to be against showing as it happens elsewhere.

With regards to kennelling, it isn't just show people that kennel their dogs, working people do too, and possibly obedience/agililty people...and I'm pretty sure some of them would rehome under the circumstances mentioned above. I wouldn't have a problem with them doing it either, if it meant that the dog was going somewhere to be loved and treated as a family member.

Just because I don't see a problem doesn't mean I would necessarily do it myself..the same as I have nothing against minority groups, doesn't mean I have to follow suit
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 08:15 AM
I don't show, I would have like to shown Deacon had he not developed his skin condition... that was the plan, he was to be shown, hip scored and if successful, he would have been used for stud... sadly the skin condition ruled it out... is he rehomed? No, will he be? Not if I can help it, my dogs are pets and if in the future I can show a dog, it will be a pet first and foremost...
I said I have no problem with people rehoming their kennelled dog for a better life as part of a family, I have no problem with it... but that doesn't just apply to show kennels. Agility dogs, working dogs all must find themselves up for rehoming at some point, its just seems that showing is frowned on, as a few bad apples give them a bad name!
A dog is not a commodity, no animal is and most decent breeder/shower, if, they need to rehome, will ensure to rehome it to a decent, loving home....
Some pet owners on here kennel their dogs, I know of at least one and no-one moans about that, so why is a show kennel any different?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Maybe they're too scared to say anything for fear of getting slated

I don't think any of us are saying it's necessarily ok, I would much rather see people keep their dogs for life, but if its a choice of seeing life out in a kennelled environment or a fireside home, then the latter is my preference every time and I think that is what most people that seem to be defending rehoming are saying.

I also don't think some show people are the only people that see their dogs as some sort of commodity, to make money from and to exploit, but thats another thread entirely.

Not all show people part with their animals when they are no longer of use, not all show people kennel their dogs. I don't think there was any difference in the way my dogs were raised and kept to someone that doesn't show and simply has dogs that live indoors enjoying family life. If kennelling and rehoming are the only gripes non showers have against showers then its not really a valid reason to be against showing as it happens elsewhere.

With regards to kennelling, it isn't just show people that kennel their dogs, working people do too, and possibly obedience/agililty people...and I'm pretty sure some of them would rehome under the circumstances mentioned above. I wouldn't have a problem with them doing it either, if it meant that the dog was going somewhere to be loved and treated as a family member.

Just because I don't see a problem doesn't mean I would necessarily do it myself..the same as I have nothing against minority groups, doesn't mean I have to follow suit
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I don't show, I would have like to shown Deacon had he not developed his skin condition... that was the plan, he was to be shown, hip scored and if successful, he would have been used for stud... sadly the skin condition ruled it out... is he rehomed? No, will he be? Not if I can help it, my dogs are pets and if in the future I can show a dog, it will be a pet first and foremost...
I said I have no problem with people rehoming their kennelled dog for a better life as part of a family, I have no problem with it... but that doesn't just apply to show kennels. Agility dogs, working dogs all must find themselves up for rehoming at some point, its just seems that showing is frowned on, as a few bad apples give them a bad name!
A dog is not a commodity, no animal is and most decent breeder/shower, if, they need to rehome, will ensure to rehome it to a decent, loving home....
Some pet owners on here kennel their dogs, I know of at least one and no-one moans about that, so why is a show kennel any different?
Excellent posts both if you!!
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2010, 08:52 AM
i think the children shows are gross

but if you watch the documentaries you will see the children love it, they wouldnt show well if they didnt
horrible brats the lot of em too

seeing as some people seem to have axes to grind about other peoples hobbies with their dogs why dont you start a thread bashing them instead of petty digs some of you are sooooo amusingly dropping into this thread
this one is about showing

Too true!
I assume you are not talking about me in this paragraph bearing in mind that I don't have any axe to grind nor do I have a problem with anyone showing their dogs - I personally would neither do it nor go to one, but I would never say that people shouldn't do it - that's their choice same as mine is not to!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Not sure how you come to that conclusion, but never mind,

The post you quoted was in answer to an earlier one from you, where you said re homing a dog (old) is cruel (from a breeder) I merely pointed out that if "re homing" is cruel, then it must apply to all dogs who get re homed by that logic thats "not" being unable to accept others have different opinions, its simply trying to figure out the logic to that statement.

but I think it only applies (for you) if the re home has come from a showing home, thats cruel, but if it comes from a home where it is unavoidable and the dog goes into rescue, then thats not cruel....

Bit of an anti showing attitude coming through I think!!
I came to that conclusion because of the tone and attitude of your post. Your post is so arguementive, but my opinion will not change, it isnt something i just decided on a whim, it is something i believe. I don’t even know why I am responding to you, but against my better judgement I will.

I didn’t say only people who rehoming ex showing or breeding dogs is cruel. I was merely saying that some people have a valid reason for rehoming their dog eg. due to ill health, and that as sad as it is for both owner and dog, it is unavoidable and not something that the owner could forsee. Someone (whether it be a breeder, show-er or just a pet owner) who rehomes there dog for some pathetic excuse, such as the dog no longer being of use to them, is IMO wrong and cruel. How someone can use a dog for years, and then just dispose of them when they can no longer fulfil a purpose, is something I just cannot ever agree with.

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I can see the logic in rehoming a dog in certain circumstances, i.e. if the current owner is no longer able to care for the dog for whatever reasons, or the dog is unhappy in the current home & someone else could offer the dog the sort of home it needs ~ but these should be the exception, not the rule.

But what no-one has mentioned so far is the emotional well-being of the dog in all this. We seem to have forgotten that dogs make strong emotional attachments to people & places & the other dogs/cats etc that they live with, so rehoming for the convenience of the owners, rather than for the welfare of the dogs, is not a particularly nice thing to do, from the dog's perspective.

I've no doubt that my dogs would love it if I had a much bigger garden, set in the countryside, with lots of interesting things to do. No doubt my dogs would prefer it if I didn't have to work full-time & could spend more time with them. But I wouldn't dream of rehoming them just because someone with a big garden & at home all day could give them a home. My dogs are attached to me & my family & friends & I don't think that uprooting them for no other reason that a large garden would be a very kind or ethical thing to do.

Yes some dogs do adjust well to a new home, but I wonder what the dog would choose, if it could speak? I agree with Rune on this one.
Excellent post!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 10:28 AM
My biggest problem is people saying that the fireside home is a better life for the dog so AFTER the dog is NO LONGER OF USE for the show person then they should be moved onto this better home

If the fireside home is better for the dogs then the dogs should be there NOW not when they are no use any more

This thread wasnt about working or agility homes - but why people are against showing
My views are not from false ideas I have had in the past, they are based on people on heres answers to these type of questions.
The fact that they see nothing wrong with people who treat their animals as stock
Yes farmers with working dogs often see their dogs as stock, they are kenneled and moved on
and sometimes they are not treated the best - and of course that is wrong
But every day they are doing a fufiling job that they love, they are getting to use their instincts and act as they were bred to
Yes often farmers pass them on when they can no longer work - but that is because the farmer NEEDS a working dog, its not just a hobby

Yes guide dogs are often passed on when they are too old to work. They have been used to working for different peopole and have been used to living in different homes
They have a job to do day in day out and the blind person is often not in a situation to be able to care for more dogs
But they NEED a new dog when their dog cannot work any more
Its not just a hobby

I am sure agility people pass on their dogs when they are no longer of any use - but I in no way defend them
I think that is very wrong and I will tell them so
As will the other people I know

A blind eye is not turned
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-05-2010, 10:43 AM
My biggest problem is people saying that the fireside home is a better life for the dog so AFTER the dog is NO LONGER OF USE for the show person then they should be moved onto this better home

If the fireside home is better for the dogs then the dogs should be there NOW not when they are no use any more
When people say "better home" its does not really mean the dog was in a poor home before, simply a perspective or what "we " class as a nice home for a dog.

All my dogs have a fireside home, they settle on sofa, have warm comfy beds by the radiators, and lay in front of the fire on a cold day... to me thats the best home a dog can have.

BUT!!!!!!

A dog that is not a pet, a working dog a show dog, may not lead that life, the life they lead is adequate to its needs, it gets fed , walked, worked, a warm bed (many in kennels) they dont starve and are not mistreated... they are happy with their lot...

So I can only speak for myself, when I say an ex show dog is retiring to a better home, its merely the sort of home I see as "my example" NOT its coming from a "worse" home

Many farmers have their dogs in out door kennels without heating, in sheds or makeshift accommodation... its not what I like for my dogs, but I dont think its cruel or worse either.. so in my eyes , my home is a better one, because my dogs are pampered and wrapped in cotton wool.

So ofcause I am going to say mines a better home than the other type...but in fact its not , its just different.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-05-2010, 10:48 AM
in different homes
They have a job to do day in day out and the blind person is often not in a situation to be able to care for more dogs
Its not just a hobby
But does the dog NEED a new home, Is the guide dog going to feel less trauma than the show dog that is re homed..

No one has yet to answer that?? forget the human emotions we place on what is acceptable to re home and not.... the perspective is from the dog point of view. does one type of re homing mean any less to the dog than another.

And thats the base of my argument, from day one... the dogs perspective NOT ours!!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 10:55 AM

This thread wasnt about working or agility homes - but why people are against showing
My views are not from false ideas I have had in the past, they are based on people on heres answers to these type of questions.
The fact that they see nothing wrong with people who treat their animals as stock
Yes farmers with working dogs often see their dogs as stock, they are kenneled and moved on
and sometimes they are not treated the best - and of course that is wrong
But every day they are doing a fufiling job that they love, they are getting to use their instincts and act as they were bred to
Yes often farmers pass them on when they can no longer work - but that is because the farmer NEEDS a working dog, its not just a hobby

Yes guide dogs are often passed on when they are too old to work. They have been used to working for different peopole and have been used to living in different homes
Its not just a hobby

I am sure agility people pass on their dogs when they are no longer of any use - but I in no way defend them
I think that is very wrong and I will tell them so
As will the other people I know

A blind eye is not turned
I never said I liked it, I never said I would do it either, I don't show, but if I was in a position to do so I would, imo my dogs do not make the grade show wise, all fantastic dogs in their own right, but not shining examples of their breed (you can bash me about that if you like too, but as their pics are rarely commented on I doubt people will argue otherwise )
Before I got Codee, I decided to get another dog, as my time with Remy was getting shorter, I went to English setter rescue, none available, I also went to my own breeder he had none and though he has dogs unsuited to showing, he wasn't rehoming any, even his mother was having difficulty locating an older English setter, that says alot about my breed I think. She got an Irish setter that had been run on, I got Codee...
To me, when you get a dog, it is yours for its life and you move hell and high water to keep it, my dogs are members of my family, they live indoors and are treated with love and respect.
Most top breeders keep their dogs the same, not all rehome, not all are kenneled, those that are are not just shut away and forgotten until show day... they are well cared for, fed well, loved, trained etc.. If they didn't care for them, especially the human needy setters, you would not get the best out of them at all...
Yes there are rotten show kennels, but there are rotten pet , working homes, agility homes etc..
I said I have no problem with someone passing a dog on to someone who can give that dog more in its life, alot of thought and heartsearching goes into that decision, especially if that dog has won shows or produced pups.
This thread is actually about showing, not about rehoming... to me there are alot of pet homes, that get rid of their dogs alot easier than some show kennels, some who don't care where that poor dog who has done nothing wrong, ends up. That is more disgraceful in my opinion..
Page 32 of 36 « First < 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 > Last »