View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

21-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I'm not going to bother responding to you again, I asked a simple question and you went off on one. I think your views are so set in stone that you can't see what is in front of you.
I will say this. It is NOT reputable breeders who cause a rescue problem so may I suggest you do your best to campaign against the puppy farmers and educate the public on how to buy a puppy responsibly because that is what will get the problem solved not telling people they shouldn't buy puppies or breed.
Becky
Its hardly a simple question is it!

Can you point me to where Ive said any different to this? Ive said exactly the same thing as you re education etc in the other thread which is why I thought some of the posts on here would be better stated in that thread.

Why are my views set in stone and obviously in your opinion so wrong, yet they are in many ways exactly the same as yours?
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Today...

Yesterday ...

I am rather confused by this..
Sorry, why?
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Rescues are in a no win situation, if they dont take dogs in they are called heartless, if they do take in dogs ( ie from puppy farms etc) they are said the be encouraging them. its a very difficult line to walk IMO, at the end of the day rescues are there to RESCUE, wether it is to take an old girl that has been bred to death, or puppies that a breeder has no homes for, they ALL need attending to and given a chance, maybe one day in an ideal world authorities will step in and make it impossible for puppy farmers to exist, or idiots breeding their pet because they think all bitches need at least one litter, or giving their child the experience of seeing the realities of birth, or just people that let their in season bitch run amok while they are at work or at the pub. But until then rescues have a duty this duty is to the DOGS before them, first and formost.

Mo
Well said!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
I'm slightly confused
First you say

Then you say

So which is it?
To set this straight (hopefully once and for all).
Our dogs sleep in their own room, which is dog gated from the kitchen, where their food is kept. Me and my son dish out their food in the kitchen, which he just loves to get his hands in.
We then both put the food in our garden and let the dogs out for their dinner.
Hope this calrifies are do feedind and peoples concerns on this matter.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
Hi spot, I didnt read it that way, I dont think mahooli is saying that, I think she is saying that if there is a rescue which will take on his spent bitches then by doing so they make way for a new crop of breeding bitches, which in a way is helping them along, its not a win, loose thing, the problems as someone said is rescues have a job and that is to rescue,,,irrelevant of background, but to some it may be like saying,,,,we made way for the next lot, so we dont disagree with the mass production of pups and the over breeding of bitches,
Not sure I put it very well, but its that never ending circle of abuse that is the problem somewhere the chain needs to break in order to make it more difficult, we all say the law this the law that, but in real life the law will drag its feet, so who makes the stand, Im glad Its not a choice I have to make, there is no clear winner for any of the dogs involved, or the pups they sell,
sorry if I didnt put it well but Im sure someone will word it better,,,
I do agree with you, but i dont think rescues not taking in breeding bitches and stud dogs is the answer, its just simply not buying the puppies from them, after all thats the only reason puppy farms exist!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Spot what the lady was saying in effect was that by taking on the two old useless breeding bitches she was making way for more young bitches to be misuses thus perpetuating the chain of misery. It is a statement of fact, she was not saying that it was wrong to rescue the bitches, just that doing so was not a solution, it was if you like 'a sticking plaster for the problem not a cure'.

Similarly stopping legitimate breeders from breeding as the OP suggests would not empty the rescue centres, there would still be accidental matings and it would in fact aid the puppy farmers/BYB who would probably continue to breed or would find a way around a ban like selling puppies on the net/ importing them from abroad . The rescues would still take in redundant breeding bitches 'no questions asked' and the sick or badly bred dogs thus aiding the puppy farmers and BYB who would now with the rescues be the only source of obtaining a dog .
Surely the answer here then is to encourage people to get dogs from rescue!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Sorry about all this mass of posts, just finding this very interesting and catching up on all thats been said since i was last on.
Loving dogsey!!!!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I think what Mini is trying to say is that by having 'agreements' with puppy farmers that they will say nothing but take on all their ex-breeders or rejects is allowing the practice to continue without any kind of guilt (if they are capable of feeling that) on the part of the puppy farmer by just palming off their unwanteds. If it wa more difficult for them to get rid of unwanted stock then maybe they'd think twice. I know they are probably heartless and will just shoot them but then they will have to dispose of the bodies so it does make it more difficult for them.
I have to say by doing this and turning a blind eye, I too feel that it is, in a way, condoning puppy farming by giving them an easy option, no questions asked, for getting rid of their stock. I wonder how many of you would be willing to turn a blind eye to say buying stolen goods, you know it is happening but you chose not to say anything.
Becky
Maybe as a rescue it is not there job to say anything, but all of ours who are dog lovers, a rescue is just that a rescue not a campaign centre.
I have to say that many rescues do speak up about them and support others who do, for example the rescue where i got my girls from.
There was a succesful prosecution, but the sentence was pathetic and the puppy farm continues.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Maybe as a rescue it is not there job to say anything, but all of ours who are dog lovers, a rescue is just that a rescue not a campaign centre.
I have to say that many rescues do speak up about them and support others who do, for example the rescue where i got my girls from.
There was a succesful prosecution, but the sentence was pathetic and the puppy farm continues.
I think your last sentence says it all the law needs to crack down harder on these people if there is to be any hope of stopping them.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I do agree with you, but i dont think rescues not taking in breeding bitches and stud dogs is the answer, its just simply not buying the puppies from them, after all thats the only reason puppy farms exist!
I had a call from someone a few weeks ago, looking to buy a pup, I explained I rarely breed and it would be poss two years or more before my next litter, they mentioned they had a rott already which they bought from a puppy farm near stirling, now these people thought they were doing the right thing, I was gob smacked, I explained what a puppy farm is and they were horrified, now they ment a farm who had a litter of pups, {there are a few farmers in the area who have rottys} hence puppy from farm, they mentioned that they did seem find people frosty when they mentioned it, but untill they had talked to me they had no idea that the farming of dogs even went on,
they said they new of people who hold puppy farms in high regard, these people had said to them, PFarmers had such a high knowlage of what they were doing due to the amount they breed, so there is a huge part in educating joe soap as to whats what,

as said before, there is no easy answer to this problem, the bitches from such farms are as entitled to be rescued as the next, but somewhere there needs to be a break in the chain,

Poss a good way forward would be for the goverment to clamp down on such breeders, in the way that hits them hardest, the pocket, eg, taxing the profit they make on sales, thus accounts need to be kept, these people need to advertise pups as they dont have homes waiting, so they would be easy enough to catch out, mabey if they had to pay up and keep records it would help, mabey not, as with most things there is a way round it,

personaly I have only ever had two litters, with no clear profit in them, but I spend a fortune on the pups, I would have made some profit on my last litter after expenses,,,which came to over £3'000 but the little darlings ate my lovely ox blood leather chesterfield so alas out of pocket again, never mind I have two adorable puppy that I kept from the litter,
Page 31 of 32 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 >