register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I very rarely get involved in these threads but do have one quick question for the OH really!

What would he and Gnasher have resorted to with this dog if e-collars were not available ie banned?

(this is regardless of whether they work or not - which I agree with pretty much every comment on here that they do not)
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I want to say I am shocked at reading this but to be honest I am not

Gnasher lets her dog chase deer because it helps with her sad delusion that she has a 'wolf cross' She doesn't want to run him in a harness or keep him on a long line because that isn't the thing a 'wolf' would do She wants to let her 'wolf' run free because keeping a 'wolf' on a lead isn't natural

Gnasher you have a crossbreed DOG that needs to be kept under control for his own safety and if that means being on a long line until you can teach a recall then so be it. It isn't being cruel as you have a DOG not some half wild wolf beast

Incidentally my 'wolf dog' had 100% perfect recall and absolutely no prey drive whatsoever, in fact I have never owned a dog with a prey drive as I have always taught a good recall!

You need to get your head out of cloud cuckoo land and get it throught your incredibly thick scull that you have a crossbreed DOG and for Ben's sake train him properly!!
Brilliant post Pilgrim..
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Precisely, Ben has already attacked her o/h and seriously attacked her other dog. But it doesn't seem to bother her or her o/h that Ben could do this to other humans or other dogs as long as Ben can be a "free spirit". Where is the common sense in that? Poor Ben needs to have owners that understand his needs and traits.
.....but Ben only attacked the other dog because it attacked him more than once when he first came to live there, he had to learn to defend himself, he possibly attacks out of fear in case he is attacked again

If the dratted e-collars and their like (prong/pinch) were banned this would never have happened to this dog & no doubt many more like him

Maybe we should all think about changing OR adding to our signatures to something like:-

BAN E-COLLARS, PRONG / PINCH COLLARS
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
OK, I have read through the last couple or so pages, and have run out of time. There is just a few things I need to clear up.

1. We tried a citronella collar, Ben took absolutely no notice.

2. We tried our extending lead, and then an extremely long line. Ben took absolutely no notice, we never managed to get him to come to us ONCE, he is like his father in that respect. I spent several weekends trying to get him to even vaguely come away - unless HE wanted to, and there was no set pattern, rhyme or reason for this, he would not.
3. OH is not "just" a scientist, he is a Zoologist, having been offered a job by no less eminent a person than Sir Peter Scott back in the 70's. He is a practical, logical thinker and no bunny or tree-hugger it is true, but neither is he a typical "scientist". He used to rescue and nurse back to the wild birds of prey, and for a long time kept a sparrow hawk and a tawney owl in his bedroom (much to his mother's disgust!) (not at the same time of course). He would never deliberately be cruel to any animal, but like me thinks it the HEIGHT of cruelty to keep a dog like ben permanently on the lead. All the long lines, recall techniques, bells, whistles, treats, are not going to work. The e collar was our last resort, our very last hope. So far, we have not been disappointed.

Ben has been behaviouristed and trained using every technique known to man, by ourselves and by experts. It is true 6 months - actually it is nearly 8 months, is not a long time, but time is a luxury we do not have. We needed to fix this problem, and fix it now.

I so hope that we have succeeded, but touch wood, so far looks good.
I'm sorry, but the bit in red would be laughable, if it wasn't so sad for poor Ben
You spent "several weekends" training re-call with a long line!! Thats not enough time. I had Drift on a long line training re-call EVERY single day for approx 3-4 months; he had freedom to run (60ft line) but gradually learnt to recall to me. It took time, patience, and lots of praise when he got it right; now i am reaping the rewards of my patience because his re-call is fantastic, so too are his emergency stops Not bad for a seriously screwed up rescue boy.
You do not seem to posess either the time, nor the patience to train your boy properly, thus resulting in you going for the quick fix you should never have taken him on if you weren't prepared to put in the work of rehabilitating him. Sadly the only loser in all of this is poor Ben because you have set him up to fail at every opportunity

Jann x
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I want to say I am shocked at reading this but to be honest I am not

Gnasher lets her dog chase deer because it helps with her sad delusion that she has a 'wolf cross' She doesn't want to run him in a harness or keep him on a long line because that isn't the thing a 'wolf' would do She wants to let her 'wolf' run free because keeping a 'wolf' on a lead isn't natural

Gnasher you have a crossbreed DOG that needs to be kept under control for his own safety and if that means being on a long line until you can teach a recall then so be it. It isn't being cruel as you have a DOG not some half wild wolf beast

Incidentally my 'wolf dog' had 100% perfect recall and absolutely no prey drive whatsoever, in fact I have never owned a dog with a prey drive as I have always taught a good recall!

You need to get your head out of cloud cuckoo land and get it throught your incredibly thick scull that you have a crossbreed DOG and for Ben's sake train him properly!!
It is great post, and I agree with you Liesl and I also agree with Linda below, as I am in the same boat as her. 95% time is wonderful, but he will/would chase and kill small furries,deer, livestock given the chance ,so I don't allow him to do it. It is frustrating, when you work so hard at it, and I know how Linda feels. Some dogs do have very high prey drives As owners we have to be responsible and manage and control that drive, and I feel Gnasher isn't at the moment.

Not justifying Gnasher's actions for a moment either.

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I don't agree that it follows that good recall = no prey drive. My 'wolf dog' doesn't have 100% perfect recall, does have a very high prey drive (always has) yet I have done my very best to teach good recall from day one - I still do.
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
He has it too, when it suits him. My dog can walk off lead perfectly well, even keeping close to me and coming instantly ... unless there is something worth chasing, even old tyres in a field. Hell, from a distance it could have had feathers or fur. At least he comes back when he's done ... . Perhaps I am rubbish at training. Still, I keep trying ...

I can empathise with some of Gnasher's frustration, even though I do not condone the use of an e-collar.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:05 PM
2. We tried our extending lead, and then an extremely long line. Ben took absolutely no notice, we never managed to get him to come to us ONCE, he is like his father in that respect. I spent several weekends trying to get him to even vaguely come away - unless HE wanted to, and there was no set pattern, rhyme or reason for this, he would not.
What did you do the other five days of the week?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:07 PM

Ben has been behaviouristed and trained using every technique known to man, by ourselves and by experts. It is true 6 months - actually it is nearly 8 months, is not a long time, but time is a luxury we do not have. We needed to fix this problem, and fix it now.

HOW
Did you use the long line & flexi?

WHICH ONES, List please & length of time spent Training & proofing each one
every technique known to man, by ourselves and by experts
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:10 PM
We don't I think what I may have said is that I believe in PINNING dogs to calm them. I can't remember EVER having had to pin Hal, or ben for that matter.

I NEVER use the term alpha roll - if I have, then please correct me, but I cannot believe that I would have done so. I would have said pinning if I said anything at all.
BUT you Agree with CM have stated that you ue CM techniques on your dogs
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
It is great post, and I agree with you Liesl and I also agree with Linda below, as I am in the same boat as her. 95% time is wonderful, but he will/would chase and kill small furries,deer, livestock given the chance ,so I don't allow him to do it. It is frustrating, when you work so hard at it, and I know how Linda feels. Some dogs do have very high prey drives As owners we have to be responsible and manage and control that drive, and I feel Gnasher isn't at the moment.

Not justifying Gnasher's actions for a moment either.
Thanks Susie. I think "manage" is a good term.

Loki gets to run off lead but I'd never wander through a sheep field with him off lead. I take him to places where he gets to run and play and fetch, etc. Even if I had a dog with unquestionable recall I wouldn't leave him off lead in something like a sheep field.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
What did you do the other five days of the week?
Worked ... and damn hard too! If you bothered to read my posts, which clearly you haven't, you would know that my husband has to walk the dogs twice a day during the week, and do all the training etc.
Closed Thread
Page 30 of 83 « First < 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 40 80 > Last »