View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 10:43 PM
I have had entire GSDs for over 26yrs none have contributed to the dog population, neither do they howl or pine or become distressed if an in season bitch is around, infact where I lived before a local bitch used to try and dig her way under the fence untill she got bitten, my dogs will treat a bitch the same as a dog.
In this period I have had 2 neuts one done at the age of 5yrs he was undergoing surgery for other reasons hence why he was done. After that his coat went curly he constantly threw his coat. The second one was done at the age of 3yrs whilst going under GA for a tumor removal; I have had him done due to bringing two bitches over to the UK shortly and I dont want the risk of crossbreeds. Since he has had the op his temp has changed and he is now aggressive to other males and he wasnt before. This as seriously made me consider on not having my other male done. All my entire males have not been aggressive to other males.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I'm broadly pro-neuter but I agree with that.

However those of us who neuter are adding to that social pressure.
Thanks, but I don`t think neutering helps the dog in all cases. It is occasionally done for `political` reasons unrelated to the welfare of the dog. Neutering when the dog is still a puppy, for instance.
I feel that dogs now are seen more and more as a commodity / childs toy / fashion statement, not as a sentient animal with all that entails. Surgically altering a dog should be in the dog`s best interests IMO - not to prove a point.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I've had both entire and neutered animals and to be honest there has been no difference in their health, their behaviour or their growth. None of them have been responsible for increasing the canine population or even shown much inclination to do so. I'm not sure my entire males knew what it was for, although my neutered males now could show them. I think it's a decision to be taken on an individual basis and what anyone else thinks of your decision is pretty irrelevant. In previous posts you've mentioned your dog becoming extremely stressed by in season bitches in the area so it's probably worth consideration, whereas my previous entire males wouldn't have batted an eyelid.
Thats right I have mention it in various threads and am seriously considering it.
BUT, I am trying to get as much info about it a possible all the pros and cons and and any expierences others have had.
It is not something I am taking lightly I have to be sure that it is best for my dog at the end of the day and not just because other people think I should get him done!
I am trying to weigh it all up and then and only then will I make that decision.
The fact that he does show intrested in bitches in season now does not mean that by having him neuterd he will stop...and then I have put him through an op, ga, removed an organ etc all the for nothing
He is never goin to mate and have pups...Entire or not, so I am just doing as much reserach as I can before I make that decision.
I do have real concerns about somethings I have read and will take them up with my vet and then and only then will I make that choice.
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post

What do I think the dogs lose out on? Their testicles and the hormones that they produce. I don't think that we should underestimate what neutering is...it may be a 'simple' operation, but at the end of the day it removes an organ that produces an important hormone, so I do feel that makes it quite an important thing that the dogs are losing out on.
That is a very big concern of mine!
As well as some health issues, I have recently found out about, and some other things to.
Dont get me wrong I know there are issues that go with keeping him entire to, thats why I have to weight them all up.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think the breed of dog you own may need to come into consideration.

Due to the above quote, many rottweiler owners tend not to have there dogs done, bone cancer is a problem in the breed, the risk is far higher for a dog that is neutered.
The quote you gave is one reason Cosmo hasn't been done. Flat Coats are really susceptible to cancer, if you ask any Flat Coat owner what worries them most it is cancer, it is massively prevalent in the breed...
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm sorry - I never meant to say that people who dn't neuter are irresponsible (I don't think I did actually say that). What I meant was there are a lot of irresponsible people out there who have unneutered dogs (just as there are irresponsible people who have inappropriate breeds of dog for there 'reputation').

I agree that it should be done on a case by case basis, but I seem to remember that Hades' dog was having a lot of problems (i'e' keeping the whole family awake at night howling) because there was an inseason bitch around. Maybe I have the wrong person?

Anyway, please don't think I am saying anyone here is irresponsible and I am not telling everyone to have their dog neutered. I'm pretty sure I never said that, but I kow people can read things into posts that aren't there sometimes (or weren't intended that way).
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
please don't think I am saying anyone here is irresponsible and I am not telling everyone to have their dog neutered.
course not! But this is an emotive subject because people tend to feel strongly about it. The flak I got when I mentioned to someone that I wasn`t getting Daisy spayed because of her aggression was unbelievable - I got people telling me I should give her back because it was in the rescue contract to have her spayed (which it wasn`t BTW). So I`m over-sensitive on the issue.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I totally understand CandD I don't believe neutering helps with aggression either.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 02:35 PM
I own a breed that are not highly sexed and whose coats suffer if neutered... therefore my boys are still entire and will be for the forseeable future... They are good natured, happy, healthy boys and I see no benefits to being neutered... Our duchess is speyed and was done for health reasons before she joined us, her coat is thicker and woolier than the boys'.

I am not anti neutering at all, but I don't think one size fits all....
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 04:24 PM
When their coat goes wooly, does that stop it being as water resistant?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 04:29 PM
I would say yes...both my neutered dogs went woolly and yes, they were less water resistant but that may have just been my older dogs. The younger ones it was harder to tell as their coats weren't fully in when they were neutered.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3