Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

09-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
that would be lovely... I havent seen the boys for so long... must catch up and give them some hugs... if your good you can have a hug too lol

Gee thanks, I think......
Tish's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Mo i am 31 now but worked in a kennels from the age of 15, it started out as a saturday job but then went full time at 16 and gained an NVQ in small animal care and a diploma of kennel management, this was all before the age of 18. Unless things are different now i don't think it's a legal requirement.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 07:22 AM
i used to walk my dog (bc) when i was tenish -

i wouldnt let anyone else walk them though - i was ona bout this last night actualy lol!!

were getting a dog sitter in next year when im at work and i woldnt let her/him walk the dogs - as i dont trust my dogs! lol!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 08:27 AM
I haven't ever met a child I would allow to walk Woody, but I'd probably judge it on an individual basis, if my own grows up to be like I was around dogs then I wouldn't hesitate. As for a dog walker, no, that's our job!!
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 08:49 AM
No-one but me walks my dogs, not even my daughter and she is in her 20's! It is something that I enjoy doing myself, and I always worry that something happens when I'm not there.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 10:30 AM
good heavens no not unsupervised.
having said that, i used to walk peoples dogs from the age of about 8 because i couldnt have one
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 10:54 AM
No child and no stranger walks my dog.
She's my dog - mine. That means I care for her and her welfare. Especially on walks. What if someone had your dog for a walk and then lost it? If the child let the lead slip and the dog ran? No, the consequences don't bear thinking of.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I won't let my kids hold the lead when we are out, never mind walk them on their own. Rio is all over the place and bouncy and Loki listens to me and only me (and only if it suits) so he won't obey my son.

BUT as a professional dog walker I think I get tarred with a dirty brush! I have met a load of dog walkers and there are many who take far more than they can safely handle and spend more time exercising their jaws than the dogs. BUT we're not all like that. I take small numbers usually three or four max. If I have a busy day my Mum gives me a hand or I take them in two seperate groups. I do interact and I'm very safety conscious. And I know all the dogs as individuals, their likes and dislikes etc. I am very particular about who walks mine though. Only my Mum gets to walk Loki and Rio, and if I was really stuck there is a dog walker I could call.
Hi Loki's mum,

I walk dogs professionally too, and I to think that some give others a bad rep. I too have seen dog walkers with 8 or so dogs running riot round them, and I can't see how they can control them or keep them safe. What if one runs off, what then, when there are another 7 to look out for.

Safety of the dogs in my charge is my utmost concern, and so I only walk 1 dog, plus my own at a time. if the family I am walking for has more than 1 dog then I'll walk those together obviously. I will also keep them on a flexi until I have built up a bond with them and am confident they will come back to me.

Having said that, there is nobody I would trust with my boy . I love him dearly and am paranoid something would happen to him. I've allowed hubby to walk him once in the time I've had him, and that's because I couldn't avoid it. He doesn't really listen to hubby. But I am in the fortunate position of being able to be with my boy all day. Things would have to be different if I worked full time. Then I would be forced to have someone look in on him and walk him mid-day, but then I might have opted not to have a dog.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm a real miserable cow.................No-one is allowed to walk mine, unless it's Pat, and then Reah stays with me.

She ran back home once when he took her.....he'd never get another chance

But they are too precious for me to allow anyone to take them walks I'm afraid.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 02:16 PM
I used to walk other peoples dogs as well, I grew up with JRTs and always loved big dogs.

My son who is 14 does walk my older lab but is not allowed to walk Kato (NI) or Kiera (Ridge x). He puts Paddy on a lead even though doesnt need one with me as walks to heal. If its dark he will walk round my Mums with him or pop round his friends. And because we back on to a park with a gate in our garden leading straight onto it if he plays football over there Paddy sometimes goes and sits in goal watching the world go by, when he is playing.
Paddy is very much my sons dog has slept with him every night since he was 14 weeks. He follows him everywhere. My son is very very responsible and is very dog savvy as he has had to be as we have lots of fosters.
But Kiera and Kato are both under 2 and very powerful and young and stupid LOL so no to them.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »