Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I was looking forward to the remake of Survivors, having thoroughly enjoyed the original.
I switched this one off after an hour, unable to bear it any more. It was melodramatic, dumbed down and unbelievably PC. The sticking point with me came when an earnest Youth Hostel worker lectured us on how `we`ll all have to re-learn old skills...can you skin an animal? I`m going off now to climb in the Peaks`. Of course you are, mate - then when you get in trouble you can lie there on your own and die. In the original, what was interesting was the way survivors clung together to help & shared their skills, gradually finding a new way to live.
I watched the first 2 episodes on iplayer and the first episode of the original on veoh.
i find the remake better produced and the acting more naturalistic and superior. the scene where the youth worker gives a speech about learning to go back to basics was copied from the original. also, the youth worker, whom was an older guy, states that nothing has changed for him, as he has always lived a life with nature. so its quite plausible that he would go out into the hills, as he always has done.
i get the impression that the new series they will be leading up to creating a new community and sharing skills. did the original series not also have scenes where they had to defend themselves from gangs?
Didnt notice any PC referances at all.
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
It could never be as good as the original as we live in different times, when the original was showing we were in dire straights as a country and it really felt as if the world could end, compared to now when we have so much more.
ive been watching the news recently....
....are you so sure about that!

Originally Posted by Asti View Post
How stupid am I! Of course it was The Champions, I got completely confused, thanks alot cava14una. I only watched it the other day on Sky, I used to fancy William Gaunt
also being remade
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

ive been watching the news recently....
....are you so sure about that!

Yes I have but compared to the seventies when we had 3 day week, rubbish piled in the streets, nuclear threats, cold war and many less people in decent housing we do have a lot more to make us personally feel safe and protected. Even our cars are now like little tanks with safety belts and air bags, no one really believes they won't survive a crash hense the appalling driving we now see.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2008, 02:09 PM
good point

i was living in new zealand in the 70's.

although we do have nuclear threats back on the agenda
and the cold war is creeping back in.
having said that, i felt the 2 nuclear superpowers standing off equally was a lot more secure than the inter-connected global economy, extreme global religious terroist threat, and climate change that we have now.
all of this feels way way closer to apocalypse to me.
espesh as terroist groups can lay their hands on nastier chemical/biological weapons these days, and probably nuclear in the future.
also, when we had a recession in the 70's, we only had to rely on ourselves to get out of it, and there were other countries to help, as economies were relatively separated.
now we rely on each other like dominoes. one country falls, we all do.
so its hard to get bailed out now.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Yes you too have a good point, I guess how you view it depends on where you are in your life and how you feel about what is happening, back in the seventies I remember personally not expecting to see the eighties whereas now I feel much safer.
As an aside what on earth possessed you to come to UK from such a wonderful country ? Must be mad
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-11-2008, 06:57 AM
born in UK, unfortunately. parents got divorced.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
I don't know why i watch these type of programs i always get annoyed at the people, OK maybe its just me, but don't you start to think what would i do, well for a start i wouldn't have just walked past a room full of food and water like the prisoner did and not take some,considering he hadn't eaten for about 24 hours. even the mother looking for her son, i would have searched the whole hospital. are there others like me?
re the prisoner. i think he worked out he could just walk into anywhere and get some food. at the moment, his main priority was getting out the prison. the food room represented a cell.

i also wondered why she didnt search the whole hospital
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Now I'm miffed - I set Sky+ to record the next episode (Tuesday) and the bloody thing failed...

I'm hoping for a repeat somewhere......

Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Now I'm miffed - I set Sky+ to record the next episode (Tuesday) and the bloody thing failed...

I'm hoping for a repeat somewhere......

i player......
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3