Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
I think with dally's you need to be careful of anything that could cause bladder/kidney stones - not sure exactly what it is that causes them but i know of several that suffer with it and have to have a diet that is not to high in whatever it is that causes it. (that's vauge and waffly isn't it!)
Yep, low purine diets is what dallies need. They can have protein but it depends where it's sourced from and try to keep away from purines.

Thanks all - I did speak to the vet nurse (who loves anything to do with supplements and nutrition) and she's had her rottie on synoquin since he was a pup and she said anything the body doesn't need it just excretes (although she didn't say if the same goes for vit c and I forgot to ask) so it's fine to put her on it but keep away from human variations.
She said most dog supplements have something in it to help the uptake into the joint which human ones don't have (so aren't as effective for dogs) and the human ones tend to have a lot of sodium in them whereas dog ones don't.

She said she's recommend Synoquin but it's expensive so I could give Stride a try... as it happens I gave my aunt a big tub of Stride shortly before her GSD died so I might see if she still has it.
Gillbo64
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks all.

I've had a look in our cupboard, we have the healthy direct (I think) Glucosamine, Chrondoitin, MSM and Vit C, we also have Glucosamine Sulphate capsules, or we have plain MSM tablets.

This morning I gave them half a MSM tablet each and one capsule of the Glucosamine Sulphate because of the Vit C in the other one.

Not sure what to give now... I had a look for a CSJ blend and found this: http://www.naturalpetchoice.com/prod...af534618ad681c

Anyone any thoughts on it? I'm not sure about the nettle to stimulate their appetite! These are dallies! Their appetite needs no stimulation!

Kate, I'll google - thanks.
Have a look at Zipvit, they do a similar product in their pet vits section called flex-a-joint, containing Glucosamine 400mg, chondroitin 50mg & MSM 50mg at £12.99 for 360 capsules.
http://www.zipvit.co.uk/cgi-bin/popu...?prodcode=A302

Their products only use top grade (90%) chondroitin too - check this detail when comparing as many companies use an inferior quality (20%) product
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Another link is that of Dorwest Herbs: http://www.dorwest.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GC

Glucosamine and Chondotrin only.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Ziva, do you have a reference for the info that supplementing vit C actually stops the dog from doing it for himself. I'm not questioning it, just really interested to find out more!

Ziva - you are a fountain of knowledge on feeding lol.
LOL Thank you!

I've just looked for the article, and can't seem to find it, although I will keep looking.

Basically, it's not a problem to supplement Vitamin C you just need to be aware of the theory that once you start you can't stop.

Vitamin C is manufactured in the liver of most mammals except by us, primates and guinea pigs! Some experts believe that dogs and cats don't manufacture enough of it so it should be supplemented anyway. Others say that's nonsense and a "healthy" dog and cat manufacturer all that it needs.

You can't overdose on vitamin C as (like the B vitamins) it is a water soluable vitamin so theoretically excess will be eliminated by the body. Other vitamins, the fat soluable ones, you have to be more careful with.

How do I know all this?! - I found my 2 year old girl in the street as a puppy already with arthritis so I have researched diet and supplements to death!!
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Well done you for rescuing your puppy off the streets. How is he/she doing now?
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Oh she's doing great thanks, she's on some herbal supplements which keep her comfortable and active. I'm a bit of a street dog addict actually, we have loads of them here and I keep an eye on my local ones.

I'm still looking for that vit C article, however everything I come across now is saying that it's no bad thing, as dogs can always do with extra. Will keep digging

This one looks interesting....

the wild pup does get extra vitamin C from the livers of animals the mother kills, some green vegetation, and sometimes from fruits and berries. The domestic pup gets none because we have decided that he doesn't need any.

http://www.schlossfelsenkennels.com/vitamin_c.doc
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3