View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2008, 07:01 PM
I get salmon offcuts for my dogs. They're whole salmon with the fillets removed and the dogs love it! Worth asking your local fishmonger for these (if you have one). I get a very large bag (about 10lb) for £2.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Cooked bones will be more dried out and run the risk of splinters. Raw chicken legs are fine to feed, as are raw chicken or turkey necks, never cooked though.

Impaction can occour when too much bone is fed. The odd bone now and again shouldn't produce any problems in the average healthy dog. A good rule of thumb is if the poops are coming out whitish the dog is eating too much bone.

Thanks Evie, I'll see if I can persuade OH to give the turkey & chicken necks raw from now on. I try to check their pooh everyday and have never seen it white, it did go green once when we had them on two denta sticks a day each, they are green and have some green veg. in them, they get only one now and things in the pooh department seem pretty good
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 07:20 PM
If they are getting bones they probably don't need the dentastix My step-dad was giving them to his Bedlington (dentastix) and his poo was terrible!

I've persuaded him to give dried tripe sticks as a more natural alternative and his poo is loads better (the dog's not my step-dad's ).
nana
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2008, 10:51 PM
I feed all of the above, always raw. I have however stopped feeding rib bones, unless they are broken. I have had incidences of the larger dogs swallowing them whole in their haste and they have actually come out the other end whole!!. That was seriously scarey,
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi Nana,

Welcome to Dogsey.
I'm wondering if your fed the dog you mention individual rib bones or as a slab, that is, a few joined together. Personally I prefer to fed them in a slab all joined up.
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Any raw bone is okay. Dense bones, like cow femurs, are not okay.
nana
New Member!
Female 

24-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Evie. Ive fed both loose ribs and slabs, the problem only seems to occur when Ive fed single bones, some dogs are so greedy for them, ive seen them suck them down like spaggetti. so if I do get them in the packs. I make sure only the dogs I know have more manners gets those. If I can only get single ribs. I crack them with a hammer. They are still in one piece but shattered.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the info Nana, always good to know.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all the info again guys. I had a bargain on a pack of chicken wings in town today ( bought ten for 75p) so I bashed a couple with the rolling pin and gave the boys one each. Milo ate his straight away but Jack needed for encouragement. Again just an extra but they love it!!
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
Thanks for all the info again guys. I had a bargain on a pack of chicken wings in town today ( bought ten for 75p) so I bashed a couple with the rolling pin and gave the boys one each. Milo ate his straight away but Jack needed for encouragement. Again just an extra but they love it!!

I don't feed raw so forgive me if this is a silly question, but why did you smash them first?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >