View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I dont think this is a very good idea to be honest. When mine were puppies they always had access to their water and I was on constant puppy watch during the night to re-direct to the back door if he got up for the loo! I don't think you should take the water away.

Some people choose to crate overnight and give the dog paper or a pee pad to go on, but i never saw this as necessary.

I did get told that I was crazy for getting up in the night to take the dog out for the toilet, but its the same as having a new baby if you ask me. you do what you have to do!! lol
boris
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I took the water up at night when my current dog was younger, as he's fed raw he doesn't drink so much anyway. I think this is more of an issue with dogs fed commercial foods with higher sodium levels and obviously dry foods.

Ian
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I don't leave water in the crate with my pup, Yogi, when he goes in it to sleep, as inevitably he knocks it over and drenches his bed. He has access to fresh, clean water all day and at night, up until around 10pm when he goes to bed. He comes out of his crate at around 5am-6am and then again has access to water, the same as the other dogs. I have found no problem with this and certainly don't consider it to be cruel.
Hector was treated exactly the same! IMO it would be more cruel to leave him in a wet bed.
We survive all night without a drink so why should a dog be any different.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by boris View Post
I took the water up at night when my current dog was younger, as he's fed raw he doesn't drink so much anyway. I think this is more of an issue with dogs fed commercial foods with higher sodium levels and obviously dry foods.

Ian

My Beardies are raw fed and I often hear them taking a drink at night. I would never deprive them of water for a long period
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't always make it through the night without a drink and often hear my dogs drinking in the night. I have a heavy, ceramic bowl in the crate..but as I say you can buy clip on ones. I don't fill it right up, just enough for the pup to have a couple of drinks from it in the night...which he does. Current pup sleeps 7 hours without peeing...is 8 weeks. Unfortunately doesn't sleep 7 hours without telling us he's turning over to sleep on the other side....sigh....
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Just read you can get bowls that clip in to the cage. Good idea.
I have also to say that i never intentionally didnt give Hec water so he didnt pee....i did leave the bowl, he tipped it up so thought it best to not leave it in there again. He always had a bowl of milk b4 bed so i knew he was hydrated.
Think it is each to their own really. When the Dashies sleep in my bed they dont move all night..maybe if i had water in my room they might drink but they dont go looking for it.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by catsta2001 View Post
Hector was treated exactly the same! IMO it would be more cruel to leave him in a wet bed.
We survive all night without a drink so why should a dog be any different.
I don't think it's the fact that we/dogs can 'survive' all night without a drink.......I think it's having a 'choice'.
We have a choice to get up and pour ourselves a drink if we are thirsty in the night.

I too used coup cups in Teagans crate as a pup.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3