Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
My family and myself have used organic honey with great results on wounds and boils. I've never thought on trying it on the dogs. Manuka honey I've heard is the best, but it's v expensive so I've never used that type.

The only thing I'd be wary of is the smell attracting insects when outside.

I was only thinking about the flies etc this morning, good job its not the summer.

I've spent nearly £8,000 on this in 18 months, so its worth a try. Its costing me at least £20 a week extra to run up to stroud. So in the long run if a £20 pot of honey works i will be overjoyed.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
Its fabulous stuff!!! I use it all the time on my skin ( i have severe contact dermatitis) and on the dogs. My step mother had some really nasty bites that left her in A&E . I told her about it and we used it on them. Within 2 days they were almost gone after 2 weeks of ABC's and anti-inflammatories.
Sounds good Just out of interest, if you use it on your skin. Is it just straight out of the jar or are you diluting it in any way. Just find it very thick and mucky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:21 AM
This stuff is just brilliant! Having had an acute anaphalaxys reaction to an Amoxycillin I'm not too keen on trying out other ab's, so I did some searching. This Manuka honey comes from New Zealand (don't get any other!) and is very expensive but worth every penny, it's pure anti biotic properties. You could also try Colloidal silver, which I have used on a horrendous ear infection and it cleared it up overnight!! This is an age old NATURAL anti biotic too, give it a whirl if the manuka doesn't do the trick. Good luck with her leg!
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
Sounds good Just out of interest, if you use it on your skin. Is it just straight out of the jar or are you diluting it in any way. Just find it very thick and mucky
I buy it in a tube ready to use.
I'm not sure I'm allowed to put up a link but Mods please remove if I'm not.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...l.asp?pid=1060
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:33 AM
I buy it in a tube ready to use.
I'm not sure I'm allowed to put up a link but Mods please remove if I'm not.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...l.asp?pid=1060

thanks, didn't think h&b sold it, but there you go Is this one just like a cream then, rather than looking like honey when you use it. I've got a jar of active manuka honey, not a tube. Just wondering if this would be easier to use.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:53 AM
thanks, didn't think h&b sold it, but there you go Is this one just like a cream then, rather than looking like honey when you use it. I've got a jar of active manuka honey, not a tube. Just wondering if this would be easier to use.
It comes out like a cream but it is pure honey and I think the UMF is about 18. Its dead easy to use. Its the same one I use on the dogs
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 07:52 PM
It comes out like a cream but it is pure honey and I think the UMF is about 18. Its dead easy to use. Its the same one I use on the dogs
Been shopping and bought the same one as you now. Will give it a go and see how that works.
wilmasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2008, 08:13 PM
I,ve seen a few episodes of animal cops on animal planet,where the vets have used honey to treat open wounds on dogs and horses.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2008, 08:19 PM
never eaten it. but sat next to a manuka bush in my back garden
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Been shopping and bought the same one as you now. Will give it a go and see how that works.
Lets face it. Its only 11 quid. I'm sure it will help( I'm sorry I've missed the original thread with whats wrong with that leg) but I have recommended it for use on all sorts of animals at work. The thing is, its totally edible, so if they do lick it off its no big and its not breaking the bank cos it goes such a long way. Its a damn sight cheaper than anything you'll get from the vet ( sorry I did I say that!!! ) and it will probably work too. Plus if it does no good at all, you've got a fabulous addition to your home first aid kit for your family and pooches!!!!

A VN promoting alternative therapies ??? not me guv...(slinks away before vet catches me!!!!)
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >