View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 03:46 PM
I had a deprived childhood....I was never allowed a dog!

My Dad said I loved my dogs more than my kids! Which isn't strictly true

My dogs are my companions, my hobby, (we do training, now agility and hopefully showing in the future) my interest that is just mine (rest of my life tends to revolve around home and family) my reason for exercise, to get me out of the house and talking to more people. To snuggle with on the sofa in the evenings and keep my back warm at night.

In short my life is much richer for having them, although I am poorer because I could do with going back to work, but you try finding something that fits in with kids and dogs!

J
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 06:53 PM
I have dogs because they are great company, are unconditional and can make a crappy day good just by snuggling up to you. I also enjoy the training part but nothing beats just sitting and chilling out knowing the world can pass you by but you still have your companion by your side.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Guard dogs... I recently visited Spain, and without exaggeration most households have a dog for that very reason. ( Normally kept outside )

Me, well it could be debated that I love them more than the oh

I have dogs as I enjoy spending each minute with them, training them, walking them, swimming with them, talking to them, playing with them, and most of all loving them
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 07:30 PM
I find dogs easier to connect with than people they're just greatful for what you give them instead of demanding everything. (well jobie is anyway )
some people are just stupid to think of all the poor dogs in the world that are wasted sitting outside on a chain, 'guarding' all day
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 07:46 PM
same here , i love mine to bits , i love haveing them around ,i would not be with out them .i love the long walks ,the special days out ,with them ect ,i just cant understand why they have a dog ,then leave them out side never walk them ,to be honest its a disgrace i think .
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 08:12 PM
As somebody has already mentioned, my dogs are my hobby. I love getting out and about in the countryside etc and walking through fields just isnt the same unless you have a dog or 3 with you. Having a long walk in an area where you dont have to see any other human beings, you've just got the dogs for company and entertainment is my way of destressing and keeping my sanity. I too prefer the company of animals to humans.

My garden is pretty immaculate, so is my house but I have to be on the ball to keep it that way. Just because I have 3 dogs and have OCD about tidiness doesnt mean I care for my dogs any less just because I dont let them trample on my flowerbeds.

If I had my way, my dogs would live outside or live in a special area. I love my dogs to bits and I would never be without them but at the end of the day, they are dogs and although they are household members, they arent family members.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Life isn't complete without dogs. The house is too quiet and too tidy
They make me smile, take me out, introduce me to nice people, keep me company and just make life so much richer. I enjoy their different personalities and the feeling of partnership with them. They're more than a hobby. They're an essential.
colliemagic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Life isnt complete for me without a dog, or four. During really bad times in my life my dogs have always been there for me, always loved me and never judged me. They helped me bring my sons up to be kind, caring dogloving people, whose favourite childhood memories are centered around the dogs and the things they did with them.

They make me feel safe when Im on my own, make me laugh even when Im feeling depressed or sad and are always ready for a hug and a cuddle. They make me exercise, one of the things I love best are walking, just me and the dogs, and unwinding.

Thanks to them I have met some really great people, though doggy forums and taking them to training classes, have developed an interest in dog behaviour and training, and they have given me the incentive to look at taking part in activities such as flyball, agility or trials with them in the future.

They also mean I have to constantly clean the floors, pick up mounds of hair, plan before going out for the day, and never have enough money since most of it is spent on them!

As I type this 2 of them are lying on my feet, one is next to the chair and one just outside the door.

I could not imagine ever being without dogs in my life and would not rule out adding to the pack at some point in the future. (Just dont tell OH!)

The great thing about this forum is that nobody thinks I,m mad and everyone understands why my dogs are so important to me.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I got a dog as part of my rehab while I am recovering from a brain tumour. Before we got Bryan I didn't leave the house on my own at all and couldn't walk very far. Now I'm up at the crack of sparrow fart, tramping through mud, in wind rain and snow. I love it!

As well as having a loving companion and living hot water bottle, Bryan has given me a lot of my confidence back. And I've made 3 really good friends who I meet every day while our dogs play together.

Recently I got a mountain bike and I'm cycling up to 2.5 miles now. I think without Bryan there's no way I would have done this.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I agree with other posts, I prefer their company to humans... I love the fact that no matter what I look like or am wearing, I am not judged. I like their company and the fact they make this youngish wannabe recluse have to go outside and face the world
My only reason for having them is the selfish one of keeping me company, I want nothing else, just to feed them and love them
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >