Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
What do you say when people walking smaller dogs say "Oh, have they had their breakfast" or similar things and drag their dogs away from you?

Whilst on holiday in Scotland last week, we got several comments of this sort (all fairly friendly) and it annoys the h*ll out of me!

Are you polite, and just laugh along?
Do you explain that your dogs are fine and won't eat other dogs
Are you sarcastic and say that their dog isn't even a mouthful?
It depends on their attitude tbh but usually I just laugh.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I am Scottish and I live in Scotland and I would say it's just the Scottish sense of humour . They probably think they are being really original and funny .
I am really tall and for years I have had to put up with " is it cold up there " and other such silly comments
Holly-Rosee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2008, 03:10 PM
the worst comment i ever had was this woman dragging her oh across to me shouting look thats the most ugly dog i've ever seen!!!!!now that i found just totaly rude
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I get this all the time (having a wolfhound) but i have to admit i find the people making those comments are generally just trying to make a joke and exhcange a moment of conversation. The ones who think their precious little fluffywuffykins is about to be eaten by the perfectly docile and well behaved hound of the baskervilles at my side tend to say much harsher things or scoop their dog up and run. TBH i just tend to ignore them though obvioulsy at times it can wear a bit thin!
artemis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Have experienced both ends of the scale! With Milo the greyhound several people have said "should'nt he be wearing a muzzle" ? There is me thinking "actually no, its that little scruffy ****** you should be concerned about" ! With the two terriers I have had several comments ranging from " Oh my dog would eat that for breakfast" to " I prefer a proper dog" ! Each to their own I suppose! I personally like all dogs. Prefer some more than others, but dont like any of them being labelled. A few years ago I had two whippets. Met a young lad out walking with a Rotty. The sort of owner who gives the breed a bad name if you know what I mean! He made a passing comment about how his dog would eat mine for breakfast! I just laughed and said " maybe" This annoyed me so much I saw "red mist" Slipped the dogs leads and off they went. Took the Rotty down no problem. Lay on its back looking a bit shell shocked. Forgot to mention that it had barked its head off before. Walked up to the lad, called the whips off and said "he obviously is not hungry then"! No response funnily enough!
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Met a young lad out walking with a Rotty. The sort of owner who gives the breed a bad name if you know what I mean! He made a passing comment about how his dog would eat mine for breakfast! I just laughed and said " maybe" This annoyed me so much I saw "red mist" Slipped the dogs leads and off they went. Took the Rotty down no problem. Lay on its back looking a bit shell shocked. Forgot to mention that it had barked its head off before. Walked up to the lad, called the whips off and said "he obviously is not hungry then"! No response funnily enough!
No offence, but although it's quite funny reading that knowing that everything was ok, wasn't that severely risky?!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Even though Inca will approach every dog with her hackles up all excitable I don't get that very often, usually it's just how gorgeous she is.
But, if I do then I have pointed to Tonto and say 'You're dogs are safe, she's bought her packed lunch with her' .
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2008, 04:23 PM
LOL wishbone i like that reply - must remember it Beats saying they have already had breakfast
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2008, 04:58 PM
I have a toy poodle pup and I never make those sort of comments. It's usually the owners of the bigger dogs who say things but never that their dog will eat mine! They always say "don't worry she/he is friendly" but I don't get worried unless there is a good reason (nothing so far). I am relaxed around most dogs we encounter so Oscar realises he's safe. I've seen a lot of uptight people who pick up their "babies". What sort of message does that send?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't comment on a complete strangers size if I saw a tall/short/fat/thin person walking down the street, so why is it ok for people to comment about my dog?

Most people are polite and say 'Hello', or 'Good morning' - I find that works best
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >