Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 09:56 PM
such a shame
most likely a pound - my nonna got a lovely dog from the cat and dog home, but no homecheck, a gsd cross for a 70 year old woman - luckily she was an older dog and was quite happy with a quick walk round the vblock and a blast in the garden, but not really well suited if the dog had been younger and a bit more energetic.

I see a tiny old woman who walks ( and by that i mean is dragged) by a HUGE GSD across our local park, Bruno unfortunately always barks at it and it retaliates and almost takes the woman off her feet... I really hope that she is just taking this dog out at lunchtime for her son or something because if this is actually her dog it seems like a real mismatch.

One of these days she will be pulled over and injured by this dog.

I really feel for this old couple and i hope you manage to get through to them.

xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
such a shame
most likely a pound - my nonna got a lovely dog from the cat and dog home, but no homecheck, a gsd cross for a 70 year old woman - luckily she was an older dog and was quite happy with a quick walk round the vblock and a blast in the garden, but not really well suited if the dog had been younger and a bit more energetic.

I see a tiny old woman who walks ( and by that i mean is dragged) by a HUGE GSD across our local park, Bruno unfortunately always barks at it and it retaliates and almost takes the woman off her feet... I really hope that she is just taking this dog out at lunchtime for her son or something because if this is actually her dog it seems like a real mismatch.

One of these days she will be pulled over and injured by this dog.

I really feel for this old couple and i hope you manage to get through to them.

xx
I hope so too. I wouldn't want them to feel they have to re-home...then I'd be feeling guilty as I know they love him....any fool could see that, but perhaps a little training wouldn't go a miss, just so that he didn't see himself as the leader and give them the 'up yours' reaction
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 11:29 PM
One of my older ladies 'got' a dog from the blue cross, or rather she told me the guy knew someone who was getting rid of a lhasa pup just over a year old, so he got it for her.
Well, it hardly goes out, I posted on here at the time about my concerns.

Surprise surprise, after 6 months or so it is very over weight, just as she is. She can't stop feeding him and he never goes out.... and now it's the summer hols her grandcildren are there and everyday they bring a bag of choc drops and markies for it.

I work full time, but my dogs get walks, good quality food, are not overweight at all, etc etc but I can't have a rescue dog as I work full stop...... she doesn't leave the house and neither does the dog and that's fine. It lives in a tiny bungalow and as she lies in bed most days it is behind a stairgate in the lounge. I'm going to smuggle him out one day to come for a run with Tonts!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
One of my older ladies 'got' a dog from the blue cross, or rather she told me the guy knew someone who was getting rid of a lhasa pup just over a year old, so he got it for her.
Well, it hardly goes out, I posted on here at the time about my concerns.

Surprise surprise, after 6 months or so it is very over weight, just as she is. She can't stop feeding him and he never goes out.... and now it's the summer hols her grandcildren are there and everyday they bring a bag of choc drops and markies for it.

I work full time, but my dogs get walks, good quality food, are not overweight at all, etc etc but I can't have a rescue dog as I work full stop...... she doesn't leave the house and neither does the dog and that's fine. It lives in a tiny bungalow and as she lies in bed most days it is behind a stairgate in the lounge. I'm going to smuggle him out one day to come for a run with Tonts!
that pretty awful. but as you say, this lady didnt get the lhaso apso from the Blue Cross.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 06:43 AM
What a sad story. I'd be really interested to hear the full story of how they got him, if you should meet up. It seems so unbelievable that anyone would home a collie of that age to this couple, I'm starting to wonder whether the dog started off somewhere else in the family (e.g. with their children or grandchildren) and when the decided they didn't want him, this couple decided to keep him.

Unfortunately even if you do meet them again, I'd be surprised if you could persuade them to give him up.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 02:04 PM
A lot can happen in 3 years perhaps the dog was only a puppy when they took it on & they were more active, They may also be avoiding the rescue. We heard of a dog from a rscueI help with who was in trouble & whn someone visited theysaid they hadn't been in touch as they thought we would take the dog away. Actuallywhat happened in this case was the dog went to the person who'd originally fostered it until the owner was well enough to have it back,but if a neighbour had not interferred we may never have known about it.
I agree I would not home a border collie with these people in the first place but some small rescues know nothing of certain breeds & this is where troubles can arise. what you see in a puppy may be very different from how he will be as an adult, unless he is in the right hands.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 03:56 PM
I think a result may of been found.

Patrick and I have (how fortunate) seen them again, BC was on a very long lead, but really not a happy boy.

Anyway I have had a good sit down and a lovely chat to the old couple, who bless them, do want him trained, but were to embarrassed to ask in case any training classes, thought that he was too naughty. He came from Birmingham Dogs home around 3 1/2 years ago, they think he was about 1 to 14 months and it was thier daughter that got him for them as thier old dog had died.
She told me that last night they had been speaking to thier daughter and SIL and the SIL has offered to help.
They have taken the number of training classes off me and I have reassured them that all they need to do is be perfectly honest with them about his behaviour.
The old man thinks that they are to blame as they have allowed him to have his own way ( not good with BC) who now has alot of 'bad habits'.

But the best news of all, the Police Dog Man was the one who caught him yesterday and popped into see them this morning, he has offered them his help apparantly the old lady said '''he was a lovely young man' and he is going to call in each day for a while to help Ferguson (Hubbies name) and me sort him out with exercise and mental stimulation. As he his bored.

Here's hoping they do.....I have given them my telephone number if she needs to chat

They don't want to give him up as they are very attached to him............so lets hope ''Lofty' (dogs name) gets some mental stimualtion and starts getting on better.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Oh, YS, that is such, such good news.

Well done to you going back to see them and well done to the police dog handler - I really hope he does visit them regularly, I'm sure he would make such a difference.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Oh, YS, that is such, such good news.

Well done to you going back to see them and well done to the police dog handler - I really hope he does visit them regularly, I'm sure he would make such a difference.
I think he will Fiona, he has given them his mob: number (sorry forgot to say) incase they need him before tomorrow.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 04:49 PM
That is great news
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »