View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 07:49 PM
as you say it wasnt easy to do ,but you felt ,you had no choice (i couldnt have done it ,but sitting blubbing wasnt going to sort the matter was it ) you did it out of kindness
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, i expected at least a few people to take issue with it, it caused a real problem at the time with some people but like i said, there wasn't any other option that came to mind.

I'd like to reasure people that it was indeed very, very quick, but i'm sure that was more to do with luck than judgement. A few of the guys who came around are going back to the site this year, apprently its exactly the same, still lots of feral dogs in quite big packs. Its a shame that the situation hasn't gotten any better there, but i think theres alot of this all over the world.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I think I would have done the same, though I wouldnt have found it easy.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 10:37 PM
I think you did the right thing Mike. I would have found it very hard to do, but I would force myself to do it rather than see the dog in such pain.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 10:40 PM
It is very easy for other people to criticize, when they themselves have never (fortunately) been in the same situation.

You thought only of the dog and ending it's pain, what exactly was their argument? Should you let it die in agony for days? You acted selflessly and it must as a dog-lover have hurt you to do this.

Anyone saying differently, well - I think they are being judgemental and not altogether truthful

I for one admire your strength, because I'm not altogether sure that I could have done the same - but had I not would torture myself forever thinking of that poor dog
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Oh gosh - what a horrible, horrible situation to be in I know for a fact I couldn't have done what you did, as I am too much of a softie. I would have probably tried to take the dog home with me and made it as comfortable as possible. I know this is a real wimp's way out, but I couldn't have done what you did. I am not saying what you did was wrong - if you are sure there was no other way then what you did was the kindest thing for the dog.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 11:27 AM
I think people get a bit funny with things like this happening to 'pet' animals. If it had been a snake or a rat for example would they have questioned you? I wonder. It's sad, personally I think all life deserves the same amount of respect and that certainly doesn't include allowing any animal to die slowly and painfully I think you did the right thing and i certainly hope that i'd do the same if i were ever in that situation, as difficult as it would be.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Well I'm sure in those circumstances it was best for the dog but I'm not sure that I'd have had the courage to do it. I'd be scared I wouldn't kill it quickly enough What a horrible situation.
myshell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2008, 02:54 PM
You did the kindest thing, but there is no way I could have bought myself to do the same, I just wouldn't have the guts.
But well done you for setting the dog free of its pain and suffering.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Mike, you 100% did the right thing, I don't see how anyone could question you.
You are very courageous, I have problems dealing with humane injections. But that is where the fault lies isn't it? We think of our own wishes and feelings often, before the animals.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >