Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-07-2008, 06:12 PM
How many Muslims complained?

Anyone know?

?

Thought not.

And yet all these posts talking generally about "Muslims..."?

I'm certainly not going to defend those who complained (nor the police force).

But I do consider some of the remarks posted so far to be reactionary, predictable, and intellectually lazy. There is a measured argument to be made against. Unforunately I've not yet read it here.
pingu007
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2008, 06:14 PM
total shock!!!!!!!!!! what a country we live in!
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Best post so far!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
How many Muslims complained?

Anyone know?

?

Thought not.

And yet all these posts talking generally about "Muslims..."?

I'm certainly not going to defend those who complained (nor the police force).

But I do consider some of the remarks posted so far to be reactionary, predictable, and intellectually lazy. There is a measured argument to be made against. Unforunately I've not yet read it here.
No-one said anything about 'Muslims in general', I have many Muslim friends who I know for a FACT would be saying the same as myself here, we are talking about those who complained and/or believe that we should change our culture to suit them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 06:19 PM
When in Rome as they say though???? If I went off to live in Dubai or somewhere around there, I sure wouldn't expect to change their laws or the way they live, and nor would they allow us to, even if our numbers got high enough to kick up a stink, and rightly so imo. I have chosen to live there, so I expect to live by THEIR laws, We'd just accept it, being British, that's what we do isn't it most of the time anyway! Same with any Country in the World, you live by their rules and laws, not try and change them or go against them. Blooming religeon again, it always seems to cause problems, coz that's what's at the bottom of all this.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I understand you that religion has to be offered a certain amount of respect but when you choose to move to a county that has different cultures and beliefs you have to understand and respect that as well. What you choose to do behind your own door is your business. We moved to Germany last year and they have very strong Christian beliefs and we've had to respect that. We see German flags flying from cars everywhere we go, it's there county they have the right, we do not complain. They have very relaxed views about sex over here so you can see it advertised on fliers and there are sex shops everywhere with their good displayed in the windows.

In the UK, we are described as being a nation of animal lovers therefore anyone entering the country should respect that and expect to find animals to be used in advertising. For many of us animals are a way of life. Even if the police had looked into their advertisement harder and not posted them within certain areas they would have still been at fault because they would have been in trouble for discrimination. No matter what they used on their advert they would have upset someone. It was never going to be a winning situation.

Heidi
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Im so sorry you feel that way azz, i didnt realise all posts had to be so scholarly and essay like,
this is not a compare and contrast exercise this is for our viewpoints ...

and they have been stated

If our posts appear predictable, maybe that is because it is such a common feeling in our society these days.

Reactionary? what other kind of post is there? surely OP wants reactions/opinion or they wouldnt bother posting in the first place...

If you wish for all posts to be Intelectually robust, it will be a very quiet site.

Alex
xx
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm from the when in Rome camp also.. I really wonder about the state of this country when the law has to appologise for using a cutsey puppy in there ad! regardless of who it offends how can ANYONE find a puppy offensive... I dispair! If I had the money I'd emigrate!!!

tried to give some reps out but I have to spread it about a bit sorry!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
When in Rome as they say though???? If I went off to live in Dubai or somewhere around there, I sure wouldn't expect to change their laws or the way they live, and nor would they allow us to, even if our numbers got high enough to kick up a stink, and rightly so imo. I have chosen to live there, so I expect to live by THEIR laws, We'd just accept it, being British, that's what we do isn't it most of the time anyway! Same with any Country in the World, you live by their rules and laws, not try and change them or go against them. Blooming religeon again, it always seems to cause problems, coz that's what's at the bottom of all this.
I couldn't agree more with this and other similar posts. I suggest we email Tayside Police to give our views!
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 07:03 PM
As for as I can acertain it was 1 Councillor who complained maybe he has done this so that he can obtain publicity as there is likely to be a general election next year.
I live in a town where nearly a quarter of the population is of the Muslim faith both Shi'ite and Sunni, although predominately Sunni, it depends on different peoples interpratations of the readings of the Qur'an. I know many people of the Muslim Faith both in the UK and around the world who have dogs and not just as working animals but as pets.
Have a read here http://www.gsdcp.org/results.html
many countries who have a predominate Muslim population also have dog shows including the Asian countries do not tar all Muslims with the same lack of tollerance to dogs.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »