Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
im putting my treadmill on ebay tom!

haha thats weird!! shame you arent nearer to me!!
not fancy a walk to cheshire then to drop it off??
packleader
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I should have made it clear that yes the dog was tied to one of CM,s treadmills, but not directly by him, but one of his staff.

I don,t want to turn this into another CM thread. I just don,t think its safe to tie a dog to one . Its too easy to get distracted by a phone call or a unexpected caller at the door.

I have no idea of what happened to the dog at CM,s place. I do wonder how long the dog was left, to be bleeding like it says it was.
daycare4dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I agree with Pam about exercise.
To me exercise is not just about movement, it is just as much about mental stimulation/socialization/ and the dogs well being as a whole, things you can't get from using a treadmill.

Unless a treadmill is used in a veterinary context under the supervision of a vet to treat a specific injury I can see no use for them. In some circles they have connections with dog fighting.
Dogs can still have their daily walks, but can also use a treadmill to burn off excess energy. how many people walk their dogs, get home and after say half an hour, the dog is hyper again? dogs need to get rid of excess energy and they can do this by walking or trotting on a treadmill and once the dog has learnt to walk on it properly and get off it properly then there should be no problems with dogs on treadmills. they should only be on a treadmill for about 20 minutes at a time anyway. whilst dogs are on treadmills they dont need any specific enrichment because they are getting what they need, to remove their excess energy!

if a well balanced dog is happy and gets lots of enrichment before and after any sort of exercise whether it is on a treadmill, swimming, biking, etc, then thats fine with them. dogs that have pent up excess energy that they cant get rid of end up having many problems, like hyperactivity. the reason dogs become hyperactive, again is because they have too much stored energy that they are dying to get rid of and they only way they can is by running around crazily. i think that if a dog needs extra exercise that the owner does not have time for then dog treadmills are a good option. as long as you dont have the dog on the treadmill for excessive times and leave the dog unattended then i dont see any problems with treadmills for dog.
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
took the muts to the vest this morning -nick has a poorly paw - - altogether now.. awwwww

anyhow - antibiotics should sort it out - while we were there we weighed the millie

now - we always knew she was.... well..... on the chunky side at 26 (it is kg????) i work in pounds normlaly lol

anyhow - today she now weighs...... 26.7 - shes been ona adiet the past flipping month,,, no treats etc,, more walks - yet she still manages to put on weight!

totally not good for her i know - soher food is being cut dow slightly,,,more,,,, and her walks increased

my mum suggested a treadmill,,, as well?? i want want anyway for me,,,, but can dogs use them????

any info/thoughts/ welcome.......
i have one for my collies they love it
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I wouldnt use one for a dog
much better to just increase their overall exercise
Slightly longer walks, meet ups with other dogs, swimming, playing fetch, bike riding - or what about joining agility or flyball? much more fun for both of you
you can even make up games in the house to have them running about a bit more - find the toy, find you, go get the duster?
I do agree... but ....

What about dogs who's owners can't do slightly longer walks (I, for instance, can't always go for a long walk due to my problems), dogs that don't like other dogs, hate water, don't fetch (Eddy doesn't even know what to do with a ball and Takara takes it and hides it!), some people dont' have the facilities to get a bike to safe place for riding with your dog or some dogs don't like bikes and I'd love to do agility but currently can't due to my leg and can't afford private lessons to teach distance cues.

I know someone who's dog is afraid to go out due to sight problems and aggression issues with other dogs so they only go for a short walk at very quiet times. Perhaps treadmills would be a good way of making sure they don't get overweight as well.

I do have to say though, I hate that people will have dogs in appartments and not take them for walks but just stick them on a treadmill to wear them out. That should never happen imo, they get far more from walks than just physical exercise.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3