View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2005, 11:22 PM
There is good & bad in all walks of life.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Dont honestly think we should take killing dogs for no other reason than they arent making their owners any money as anything *but* serious laura-
sorry but I honestly dont see that they should be killed for suh a trival reason

Lots arent even given the opportunity of rehoming
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2005, 11:29 PM
i feel sorry for the dogs and have to say am not a fan of the sport or of horseracing for that matter - I hate the GRand national and just think its unnecessary. greyhound racing is fine if there isnt a side effect of it- but there is a huge amoutn of greyhounds who need rehomed or who dont even get that chance and for what - so that people can bet on who is the fastest - I just dont get it - we dont put Olypmic athletes down for not winning do we !!!

dani
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 06:04 AM
There are "side effects" to everything in life. Just as people are anti vivisection, but how many refuse life saving treatment that has been perfected on animals and continues to be practised? NONE! I think we can all be a bit hypocritical of most things at times, I don't like what happens to some Greyhounds, but I wouldn't want an end to a sport that I enjoy watching and the demise of a breed I adore.

The other thing I think we can't do is compare animals to humans, there isn't a comparison. (JMO)

We feel for dogs, probably because we are close to them, we share our home and life with them, most people that eat meat don't give a monkeys about how it was produced, as long as they get it, lets face it many people go for the "bargains" like the chicken for £1.50 instead of the naturally reared, smaller more expensive chicken, regardless of the fact it has been intensively reared, has soft, bendy bones, had its beak and wattle cut off etc.. Its in our nature to seek out these things!!

I've veered off topic slightly but making comparisons always helps I think, I must say how refreshing it is to be able to voice ones opinions without anyone slagging anyone else off because of their individual feelings or beliefs. Good one Dogweb!
Dawn.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-04-2005, 09:12 AM
I walked Greyhounds as a young boy, during their racing life they are treated like royalty, fed the best diets, massaged to loosen off muscles, in the hope of gaining a few lengths on their rivals, they were even sold to different parts of the country, so they were unknown in their new tracks, Greyhound racing is no different to any other dog related business, there are good and bad in all walks of life, with regard to canine knowledge you would have to go some to beat the experienced Greyhound trainer. Sadly there are even cruel people who raise goldfish.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

09-04-2005, 09:39 AM
IMO greyhound racing and horse racing are sport events I would like to see stopped. Why? Because whenever large amounts of money is involved the welfare of the animals dosen't even factor into it.

If you really like to see these dogs run like what they were bred for why not do it for fun - the same for the horses

IMO just one case of animal cruelty is enough to make me stop and think.

Why can't we compare animals to humans they are born with a right to live a life without cruelty are they not - we were not born here to control animals we are supposed to nurture and care for them - again just my opinion.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Hello Emm,
Nature is both the most beautiful, and the cruelest force on our planet. Whether we like it or not we are all forced to live by her rules to some degree.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

09-04-2005, 11:53 AM
I agree nature is very beautiful and can seem cruel also - but we are not nature
puppydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Laura
Well I have been to the racing and I have a few friends who own racing dogs, better dog men I have yet to meet. I know some dogs dont cut the grade so they are rehomed but I guess with working dogs the same could be said in all breeds. Every sport there will always be an element of cruelty, there will always be ****hole owners and breeders but imo they always make up the minority rather than the majority I will continue to have a flutter and enjoy watching the racing. BTW has anybody ever seen how much dedication goes into these dogs, preparation training & conditioning?
Yes, first hand, which can be said of most animal realted sports, the dedication, conditioning and highest quality of life (for some) is amazing, and although the black side of the unwanted animals is very cruel it happens in every animal sport involving 'industry and money' ... Just as bad as an unwanted pet in the home.. Often it is kinda for the dog (from a sports background) if it is put to sleep.. So many of them out there being pushed from pillar to post cause someone took a rescue dog on not knowing the complications of it.. We just have to keep supporting our local and worlwide charities to do what they can to lessen the suffering of some of the more fortunate animals rescued..

Industry is what makes the world go round and whilst there is human and animal sharing the earth there will always be uneccessary cruelty..

Bless the animals..................
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Why do these people not plough some money into rehoming the dogs instead of killing them?
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »