View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 10:58 AM
It may be a 'medical fact' that the animals are less likely to get cancer, but really its just math - no organs - then no possbility of cancer in the organ that isnt there! not much medical about it really...
As Kathy pointed out, cancer spreads. What may present as a primary testicular tumour can spread to secondary tumours elsewhere. IMO castration and spaying can prevent all sorts of cancers and can be of far more benefit than just preventing uterine or testicular tumours.

I'm also a big believer in neutering noon-breeding pets - the single regret I have with castrating Satch is that I can't show him. It would've been nice to breed from him, but without showing I'm not sure what improvement he could've made to the breed, and I'm simply not knowledgable enough to do breeding justice - JMO.

he changed aggressivly towards other males, i have been told as he is 'neutral' they dont resepct him as they should, as he feels 'a stong male'.
I have heard of this happening, but haven't got any experience of it myself. Apparently, it may be something like "short man complex" - fear aggression rather than dominance aggression.

Becs
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

15-03-2005, 10:59 AM
i wouldnt even know about this, had it not been for my vet recommending it be done as a matter of course to my little male. he changed aggressivly towards other males, i have been told as he is 'neutral' they dont resepct him as they should, as he feels 'a stong male'.
after speaking to a behaviourist who has studied this for many years, i feel i have done the wrong thing. some males turn shy, some it doesnt affect.
In my knowledgable opinion; dont castrate the males unless there is good reason for it....
As a behaviourist I have also logged and kept records on the effects of spaying and neutering.

I have only ever come across one case and that was strangely enough last week, with a English Bulldog that was showing aggression to other dogs straight after neutering. But not before the operation. And I explained that he was probably sore because of the operation and was reluctant to allow other dogs to sniff because of this.

Where does this base of knowleadgable opinion come from Jess? surely you cannot base it on one dog.

I have seen the incidevce of mounting behaviour performed more on neutered dogs than full dogs, but in reality Dogs do not cognitively possess a macho identity, Unlike Men .

Concerned owners should ask your vet about a product called neuticals. It is an implant available for a dog who is to be neutered "they are artificial gonads". some owners believe their pet will miss them! or the owner doesn't want anyone to know. Or the dog will think its manhood has been removed. Not something that I would personally have done but there you go, it takes all kinds to make a world.

Stan
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 11:00 AM
So sorry Kathy it was a terrible time for us too but luckily we had Rosie for 14 years before she showed any signs of tumours we have done a lot of if onlying since her death. We had the opportunity to stop it happening by speying her when she was young but kept putting it off till it was too late.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Oh Julie, you can't blame yourself, especially when there are so many differing views out there. I just wish we'd got Ruby sooner in her life - with her old owners she was a money/puppy machine and they would never have done the right thing by her.

I think more publicity to the risks of mammary cancer and other preventable diseases, maybe people in the same boat as us will read the facts (not the myths) and be able to make the right choice before it's too late.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
he changed aggressivly towards other males, i have been told as he is 'neutral' they dont resepct him as they should, as he feels 'a stong male'.
I have heard of this happening, but haven't got any experience of it myself. Apparently, it may be something like "short man complex" - fear aggression rather than dominance aggression.

Becs
Yes there is some talk to suggest that fear aggressive dogs can become worse when neutered. Typical dog on dog aggression related to hormones will in most cases be helped and certainly not worsened by neutering. The problem with fear aggressive dogs is that there are some that suggest that neutering takes away their last bit of confidence. However, with proper behavioural advice, there is still hope for neutering these dogs, it's about getting them "ready" for it.
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Well it is down to the indvidiual and their circumstances, that apart mine are spayed once they are 5 and after they have had or not had , a litter.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Can bitches who have been spayed not be shown?
They can yes with permission from KC
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2005, 01:26 PM
There are negative health implications asociated with neutering dogs that must also be considered when any decision is taken:

There is an increased risk of malignant prostatic tumours (http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenl...ionindogs.html)

The weight gain commonly associated with neutering will lead to medical conditions associated with obesity

There is an inherent risk with all prodedures carried out under general anaethestic.

In addition, neutering and spaying can effect the coat quality of many breeds, requiring changes to the way in which the coat is cared for/groomed.

My opinion is that all dog owners should be responsible - to prevent unwanted pregancies and to ensure that dogs do not suffer pain unecessarily. How this achieved is a personal decison that may well change from companion to companion
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 01:30 PM
well i had max neutered as he had started obsessively trying to get out of the gardena nd did the off over country park as a man was walking an in heat bitch round the edges on a lead. i couldnt see the dog and max took off. his recall is normally excellent but it was like he wasnt my dog he was posessed by this rampant man! even when i caught up with him having a mild heart attack he didnt want to come witrh me and walked the whole way back air humping! it terrified me it was the first on heat bitch max had come across and he was rampant and if a road had been between him and that bitch he would of run straight across it. there is squillions of dogs round here and i just felt really over stressed with him trying to escape if he got a whiff of one. max has been cocking his leg since he was 6 months and is still doing it now post op but to be honest i am not bothered how he wees as long as it isnt indoors! it has only been a fortnight but he hasnt tried to get out of the garden or run far away from em since where as he was becoming quite obsessive about it. only time will tell if his behaviour in that way stops but i feel i have done the best thing for us. he has never been agressive and i was finding male dogs didnt like him anyway and a lot of owners would say to me oh it is because he is entire they see him as a threat. now he is done i cant imagine him becoming agressive but who knows. we all have to at some times make decisions in life that in hind sight could turn out wrong but none of us have a crystal ball thats life
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 01:36 PM
I tottally agree with you doglistner after seeing a lot of dogs I have never come across one that is MORE aggressive after being neutered they dont lose their character it generally improves so it would be partly true to say that it changes their character but only for the better research carried out in america showed a better than 70% improvement in the behaviour of dogs that were castrated regardless of their age if more dogs not used for breeding purposes were castrated there would not be so many unwanted dogs around
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >