View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Hang on, why aren't you supposed to take aspirin? Ibuprofen (active ingredient in Nurofen) is the same family of drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflamatories), and has many of the same side effects. Please don't take any more without consulting a doctor or pharmacist and explaining why you shouldn't have aspirin.

Don't rule out good old paracetamol. As long as you follow the guidelines, and don't have any liver disfunction, they are safe. Codeine is great, but remember that it is not to be taken long term as it is highly addictive (it is a very similar chemical to heroin!), but while your mouth is really hurting I reckon that might be your best bet.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Paramol contains Dihydrocodeine and paracetamol, so that's a good place to start then!

Becky, you have scared me to death saying "as carers we can't touch it unless in special circumstances"!!!!! I am handling my mum's all the time when dishing out her tablets, and they're very, very tiny Codeine Phosphates 30 mg Should I be wearing gloves?????!!! Heeeelp!!!!
We can't touch it as in cannot give it out of boxes. But then we can't really give any medication straight out of the box. Has to be in a dossett or blister pack (on of those daily med packs you put a days meds in)... and then it has to be filled by a pharmacist, not a family member in case they want to bump gran off!

Controlled drugs are usually controlled as they are either highly addictive or easy to overdose on, hence why such strict controls. We usually can't touch them except in certain circumstances such as someone is dying and needs Oramorph, and then it needs two carers present.

So don't panic! Though we always have to wear gloves for drugs anyway, or tip them straight into a cup.

Originally Posted by duboing View Post
Hang on, why aren't you supposed to take aspirin? Ibuprofen (active ingredient in Nurofen) is the same family of drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflamatories), and has many of the same side effects. Please don't take any more without consulting a doctor or pharmacist and explaining why you shouldn't have aspirin.

Don't rule out good old paracetamol. As long as you follow the guidelines, and don't have any liver disfunction, they are safe. Codeine is great, but remember that it is not to be taken long term as it is highly addictive (it is a very similar chemical to heroin!), but while your mouth is really hurting I reckon that might be your best bet.
I was going to say that too, but as he said they went to the chemist they should've known that??
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 10:52 PM
how are you feeling ?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
I believe codeine as mixed with paracetamol is available over the counter from a pharmacy only.

Codeine phosphate however is serious stuff and is a controlled drug so prescription only. As carers we can't touch it unless in special circumstances.

Never buy brand name Neurofen, just ask for Ibruprofen, much much cheaper.... and remember that all painkillers cause constipation, so make sure you drink plenty and eat plenty of fibre.

My OH often gets prescribed painkillers for sciatica, and as soon as he's on them I get to take some lactulose syrup every day to help things tickalong nicely. Better that than some serious senna later! But don't tell him I told you this lol.
My pills are paracetemol / codene phosphate - but are prescription. I did chance my arm and ask the chemist for another box hen I ran out but he needed another prescription. Having said that all I need to do is ring the receptionist and say I've run out and they get another prescription for me without another consultation.

Glad the tooth is a bit less painful for you now though.

It's funny you mention constipation. I've pretty much stopped taking the pills now (for the original problem) but I ended up taking a couple the other day because my **** was killing me LOL
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I don't think you can get codeine over the counter - can you?????? My mum's is on prescription The Paramol I have suggested actually contains codeine though and that's probably why they work better than a lot of others do.

Glad the Nurofen have worked for you Colin, hopefully it might all settle down for you now.
Well mines over the counter from Boots. They are Paracetamol & Codeine caplets. Would only let you have one box though. Perhaps your moms on a higher dose of it though hence the prescription.
It's like Zantac, you can buy over the counter or get a higher dosage on prescription.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2007, 09:43 AM
There are three classifications for how you get drugs...
POM (prescription only)
P (pharmacy only, ie from behind the counter, but without prescription, when the pharmacist has to give the nod that you can have it)
and GSL (general sales list, which is stuff like paracetamol, or anything you can buy straight from the shelf of any shop).

Codeine on it's own, mixed with say paracetamol, is available over the counter from pharmacies (P). It isn't, I believe on the general sales list, ie you can't just pick it off the shelf from a supermarket or garage for example, only from chemist/pharmacies.

Codeine phosphate IS controlled and that is prescription only.... mainly as it is very addictive if used for a long time.

Can you tell I've just done my medication refresher lol.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Wow after reading all this i am shocked

i take codeine phosphate and paracetamol for my headaches when they aint too bad and Tramadol hydrochloride when the pain is really bad

but i wasnt told that codeine phosphate was addictive
i have been taking them for the last 6 months
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by jackiew View Post
Wow after reading all this i am shocked

i take codeine phosphate and paracetamol for my headaches when they aint too bad and Tramadol hydrochloride when the pain is really bad

but i wasnt told that codeine phosphate was addictive
i have been taking them for the last 6 months
It has the potential to be habit forming. This is a good site for info.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/acetaminoph...blets-usp.html

But don't panic, I'm sure you're ok, if your gp saw you suddenly getting through loads they should act.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Thank you for that Becky

Just saw this
General:

Acetaminophen and Codeine phosphate tablets should be prescribed with caution in certain special-risk patients, such as the elderly or debilitated, and those with severe impairment of renal or hepatic function, head injuries, elevated intracranial pressure, acute abdominal conditions, hypothyroidism, urethral stricture, Addison’s disease, or prostatic hypertrophy.

and i have Elevated intracranial pressure

am at the docs tonite so will ask him if they are still okay for me to take
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Well theirs two reasons why I can't have Aspirin.

First they have alway made me sick even when I was a child and the secondly is that I'm on Warfarin after having two heart attacks, and as aspirin is also a bloody thiner I'm not allowed to mix them.

Thankfully and after a good nights sleep my face is alot better this better, save that Michelle was not best pleased this morning when she saw the state of the pillow as I must of had a small bleed over night and the pillow has now changed colour. So she has has to put my pillow slip and pillow in a large bucket of cold salt water.

I must admit that the hardest part about all this, excluding the pain, is eating with just the one side of my month, so Michelle's doing me soup for lunch, or should it be Heniz baby food?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >