View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi Gemma Many human shampoos are too harsh and strip out the natural oils that give a dogs coat a certain amount of waterproofing .

It really is best to use a dog shampoo on dogs, dogs have a different skin PH to humans and using the wrong shampoo can dry the skin and make the coat dull. A dogs skin PH is about 7.2 to 7.4 and human is 5.0 to 5.4, maintaining the correct PH balance for a dogs coat/skin is important for regulating the natural bacteria and preventing skin problems, also a dogs sebaceous glands are nearer to the surface of the skin than humans and can become clogged with unsuitable shampoos.

A dogs coat contains oils that make it semi water repellent, when you bath a dog you should just be removing excess sebum and dirt and should not remove all the protective oils, some human shampoos are very harsh and will remove much of the natural oil .
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Only once have I used human shampoo, and that was Pantene Smooth and Sleek the 2 in 1, and their coats felt lovely afterwards, haven't used it again though as I know the ph levels are completely wrong for dog fur.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
frequently bathing your dog in human shampoo will cause dry skin and brittle damaged fur. Human shampoo is much harsher than dog shampoo and more acidic.
Rubbish.

I've been preparing American Cocker Spaniels for the showring with 'human shampoos' and conditioners for the past 10 years. There has been no damage done to the coats with up to twice weekly use. Fact.

Dawn R.
IHeartDoggyz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2007, 12:38 AM
There are so many different opinions regarding this, thats why i was confused and thought better to ask..
i was always told human shampoos no good for dogs, as not right for there hair, also to bath a dog to often will take dogs natural oils out their coat...but saying that i have myself used human shampoo, my grandma would only bathe her yorkies in human johnsons ''baby'' shampoo, or doggy shampoo.
But i like to use conditioner on honey my yorkie so wouyld that be ok?
im still confused bout dog or human shampoo, i wantr honeys coat to stay healthy and in good silky condition.

Also i really must post a pic of honey all wet through in the bath!!! she looks so funny all you can see is a teeny smidgen of a dog and these HUGEEEEEE ears! lol
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by IHeartDoggyz View Post
im still confused bout dog or human shampoo

Well you've had lots of opinions, so really, it's now down to you to take from this thread what you want, and follow your instinct.

We could debate the subject for pages and pages, but you will still only get those for, and those against. You need to make your own decision.

We'd love to see pictures of Honey.

Dawn R.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by IHeartDoggyz View Post
There are so many different opinions regarding this, thats why i was confused and thought better to ask..
i was always told human shampoos no good for dogs, as not right for there hair, also to bath a dog to often will take dogs natural oils out their coat...but saying that i have myself used human shampoo, my grandma would only bathe her yorkies in human johnsons ''baby'' shampoo, or doggy shampoo.
But i like to use conditioner on honey my yorkie so wouyld that be ok?
im still confused bout dog or human shampoo, i wantr honeys coat to stay healthy and in good silky condition.

Also i really must post a pic of honey all wet through in the bath!!! she looks so funny all you can see is a teeny smidgen of a dog and these HUGEEEEEE ears! lol
As you say lots of different opinions, at the end of the day consider it all, but only you can make the final decision for your dog and im sure it will be the right one.
Take care
Gem
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I always use dog shampoo. Never had any problems.
My lot haven't had a bath for 2 years.........
I don't actually have a bath, and can't get both me and the dog in the shower so it would have to be a grooming parlour for them.
I saw on American Chopper (USA programme on Sky) that there are "dog wash" places, like car wash places. It looked just great. They basically supply the place to bath your dog. I wish they had them here......

Hi Vicki, we have one in this area it's called the Poochmobile.
It looks like a huge shower cubicle on wheels towed behind a car.
Not sure how it works or what the charge is, but I see it so frequently that a lot of people must make use of it.

Just found this;

http://www.thepoochmobile.co.uk/
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I have used VO5 (human shampoo!) on both Kenny and Jazzie - it brings their coat out really nice, soft, smooth and very shiney.

Highly recomend it actually!!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Get yourself a proper dog shampoo, as others have said, it's for dogs, it retains the oils in their fur and skin.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2007, 12:12 AM
The FACT is that human shampoos were not formulated for dogs, and can be harsh, drying and irritating to their skin and damanging to their hair coat. Some dogs have allergic reactions to the chemicals in human shampoo. In other dogs, the loss of the essential oils that protect the skin and coat allow environmental irritants to do more damage (fleas, rain, etc).

I have no doubt people have bathed their dogs in human shampoo and have gotten lucky re: no side effects, but for everyone that has, I've seen more than haven't.

To wit: "I don't understand why my dog has chronic skin infections, I use a very high end designer shampoo and conditioner on her, same as I use in my own hair!"

FACT: Dog shampoos were formulated for dogs, and at the end of the day, are safer for your pet. You can take a chance, or you can go with something you know won't harm your baby. Either way, its up to you.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >