View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Reports here suggest it is most unlikely that great whites would come close in in our waters. The temperature range really is too low.
The day after this reported sighting, a Porbeagle was caught by a Cornish fishing vessel.
This is often mistaken for a great white.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/p...agleshark.html
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Sharks are amazing creatures, I love them I doubt the one off Cornwall was a basking shark as I've never known them breach out of the water the way this one did. It's definatly a predatory shark, but I doubt it's a great white. The Porbeagle shark can reach lengths up to 200cm in British waters and the british record for a boat caught porbeagle shark is 507lb. The colours are quite similar to that of a great white too.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Sharks are one of the things I could watch for hours, them and crocodiles. Both are truly fascinating creatures.
That picture reminds me of skye jumping at the kitchen worktops when she has smelt something that needs eating.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 10:53 PM
lol, you probably have more chance of winning the lottery than ever getting attacked by a shark! It just doesn't happen that often so they go crazy on it when it does.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks...tack/World.htm
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Wow, we have some experts on here, I would never have known you all knew so much about sharks, they do fascinate me but it is a morbid curiosity, I am scared stiff of them and would just panic if I was in the water with one. My ex and I went to the waterworld place in Hull last year, I had to come away from the big tank that had the sharks in as I felt really faint
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Would you be scared of this fella? (Not a shark pic)

http://www.coloradocollege.edu/dept/...aSealBeach.JPG
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Would you be scared of this fella? (Not a shark pic)

http://www.coloradocollege.edu/dept/...aSealBeach.JPG
Yes, that scared me too I think it's the overall size, I wouldn't want to be one of those seals, I can tell you Also, how can the whales tell the difference between swimmers and seals yet sharks can't ?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Better vision, Sharks tend to come up from below so they see just a shadow and rely on the shape to tell them what it is, Orca's tend to hunt very large prey (including Great Whites!) and do so in a pack. They hunt the baby sealions because they are easy pickings!
Becky
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I am scared stiff of them and would just panic if I was in the water with one.
I guess we all have something that triggers our living nightmares. With me it's rats, OK I know some people like them (We have a few on this forum that actually keep them as pets) but for me they are the worst.

I wonder did you read anything as a kid that put the idea in your mind that sharks are bad. Or, as my OH used to say to me, it's not knowing what's below you when you're swimming in the sea. (Her childhood was spent in a landlocked country and she never got to swim in the sea as a kid)
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I guess we all have something that triggers our living nightmares. With me it's rats, OK I know some people like them (We have a few on this forum that actually keep them as pets) but for me they are the worst.

I wonder did you read anything as a kid that put the idea in your mind that sharks are bad. Or, as my OH used to say to me, it's not knowing what's below you when you're swimming in the sea. (Her childhood was spent in a landlocked country and she never got to swim in the sea as a kid)
I think I just have a vivid imagination, when I used to go on holiday I never liked paddling in the sea in case a fish touched me or something, when I was in a pedalo once I froze with fear as I saw something black beneath us in the water, was just a shoal of small fish but I couldn't get out of the water quick enough and haven't been back since. If I watch a film where people are diving off boats into water I shudder as they have no idea what is beneath them

You know what I'm like with birds, moths, mice, spiders too, its a wonder I ever leave the house
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >