Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
If it was heavier than a kilo or so I'd say £2 was quite good What you can do is to give it to her whole and then she may regulate how much she has herself but if she is a bit greedy just swap it with something else when you think she has had enough and give it to her again next dinner time. With the whole pig shoulder I get (10 + kg) I whack it in half and give half each and let them decide how much they want and keep giving it till it's gone - they get so satisfied eating that way. Takoda regulates what he has extreamly well and it's only ever about twice as much as he would normally have but if it is something Keena likes she can eat up to 3 x's her usual amount - their bellies after are funny they look like fat lions lol. Then after that they will have a rest day food wise here and there to ease back down. (just like in the wild). (No heavy excersize when they are fat lions - I run them well before etc)

I haven't used a hacksaw but I was after a bonesaw - I still want one but people who don't know it's all for innocently sawing meat and bone for the dogs must wonder why the hell for! lol
Well from memory I'd say it was at least the weight of Pickles, so it sounds like I got a good deal!

I could never do with Isla what you do with your dogs. She's just so greedy she would never self regulate!

Might try it once her weight is at the right level though? Trobule is 40% of the time I'm at work so not feeding her, which would make it hard for me to judge what she's getting.

Originally Posted by colliemad View Post
never thought of an axe...........

I have just done a search for a bonesaw and can only find american sites but managed to get a good description of the type of blade it has so a decent hacksaw might do the job, wonder how hard it will be to cut up frozen pigs trotters...........
Hacksaws really are brilliant and I manage most of Isla's meat easily with it. As long as you have a good strong blade you'll have no problems!

Oh and also adequately pick the times at which you are going to be sawing. At midnight in the garage, with the door open and next doors kids out with their dog in their garden, for example (), would not be a good time to be hacking away! :smt043
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2007, 11:38 AM
here we go again! Lamb shoulder on offer in Morrisons, it's £3 a kilo, usually £5.50 a kilo so almost half price and for those of you that get confused with decimalisation thats approx £2.50/lb down to £1.36/lb

Now I am sure I saw a recipe on here for a lamb curry but I can't find it and I may even have dreamed it....... can anyone help?

p.s; The butcher will take the bone out for you free of charge wrap it back up and give it back to you (including the bone) for those of you that want to eat it themselves (like me:smt002)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Can you only do this if you're a raw feeder please? I'd like to give Georgie a little treat?? He's fine with marrow bones once in a while, no runs, no eating big chunks of bone, but do you think it would be a bit risky to give him something like this. This would keep him occupied for hours and fed for a whole day or two!!! I'd take it off him after an hour or so each time. What do you think please???? Are lamb bones a bit "splintery" for a dog not used to them?? Thaks!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Can you only do this if you're a raw feeder please? I'd like to give Georgie a little treat?? He's fine with marrow bones once in a while, no runs, no eating big chunks of bone, but do you think it would be a bit risky to give him something like this. This would keep him occupied for hours and fed for a whole day or two!!! I'd take it off him after an hour or so each time. What do you think please???? Are lamb bones a bit "splintery" for a dog not used to them?? Thaks!
I don't think Lamb bones are to "splintery", but a lot of Lamb in one go can give a dog the runs if they're not used to eating it!

I'd try Georgie with a small amount of Lamb first and if that goes down ok try him with something larger til you're feeding the whole joint!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks Rips He's had lamb before many a time, but always cooked. I was thinking more of throwing him out in the garden with this big shoulder???? Take it off him in an hour or maybe less? That way I could put it in the fridge and get it out again the next day? I just thought it would make a nice treat for him, but then again, lamb shoulder is very, very fatty, and he's had that enlarged liver a few months ago, so maybe not such a good idea. I think I'll stick to a marrowbone for him
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Lamb doesn't make much difference with mine regards it being more fatty and upset stomachs. I don't know about these shoulders of lamb - if they contain much leg bone, I don't really like leg bones but everything else I'm fine with. With the pork shoulder we get it contains spine, rib and a bit of the leg bone - they are fine with all of it.

For an older dog used to commercial dog food for along time I might think about giving him an off cut of raw meat now and again to see what he is like before giving him a large chunk. If you find he has no problem with a little bit of raw lamb then you could try the big treat with less worry. If lamb didn't agree with him at all you could try a different meat to see what you could give him as a treat. If it was me I would sneak him a little off whatever you are preparing for yourselves and get a rough idea.

Generally depending on the quality of 'dog food' they have been fed has an influence to how they do with raw treats or diet. The more aditives and fillers in their food and the longer they have had it the more adjusting time they need. And in saying that some people will say their dog doesn't tolerate raw at all well when it may well just need time to get used to the difference.

Try not to make your mind up not to try it at all as he may well be great with a raw treat and love it.

Something else in which the bones would be fine would be half of a whole large raw chicken - that would provide his food for a day and give him some softer bones to chew. (again you could try him on a little raw chicken off cuts 1st)

Georgie doesn't have the epi does he - that was Cassie...Just making sure. Their are lots of epi dogs fed on a raw diet but obviously it needs to be adjusted to be suitable - britbarf is the ideal place for people needing to know more about special needs raw diets - as well as regular raw diets. Even if it's just to give the odd treat now and again.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Oh thanks Mys. as usual you've been most helpful. I don't feed kibble now, I stopped all that 3 months ago when Cassie started being ill, so I cook everyday for them, or buy a cooked chicken and do the veg and potatoes. I never liked feeding commercial food anyway, I now have the time and money to cook fresh food for them, well him now, and quite honestly it makes me feel better knowing he's having human food and I know what he gets. If I could have my time again with Cassie, having the EPI,I know for a fact, she would have done a lot better on raw food, but it was too late in the day to change over.

I've always thrown Georgie a bit of raw when I'm cutting up meat, although not chicken, coz I'm a bit scarey about that, but always beef and sometimes lamb. Like I said, he seems to be fine with the odd marrowbone, so I'll have a go with lamb, but not too much to start off with.

Has anyone ever asked in Mr. S or Tesco for bones? I feel a bit guilty going into my local village butchers just to get a bone, as I don't buy my meat there, so I'm wondering if you can ask in a big supermarket if they have any in the butchery department?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I bet Georgie is loving his new food As he is on cooked are you giving him a supplement to replace calcium etc - although I know green leafy veg are good for calcium but wouldn't provide enough in a balanced diet (you probably have all that covered already )

Sounds like your good to go with trying him a few things.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Takoda with some of his pork shoulder = dogs in seventh heaven!

(the tough skin is great for teeth and keeping them chewing for a long time!)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Well Kody certainly looks a happy dog with that great big shoulder!!!

Yes, I've got some supplement tablets, mainly B vits though. He has cabbage every day coz I do!!! Anything green I like, so he has to to!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >