Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Poor little mite
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Terrible story,happened to Kizzy when she was playing with her brother once while at my dads.Lucky I was able to free her and no damage was done,it was a horrid lesson I learned.Now they don't wear collars in the house.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

28-06-2007, 09:48 PM
How awful for that poor owner. I only put Loki's collar on going for a walk. May the dog RIP.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
This is a ezydog collar.

looks really good and it has a quick release catch, but they can still kill,
I would say it would be alot better than most collars, providing you see that the dogs are caught,

Mabey for reasons of ID if your dog is prone to wander little collars {ones I used for pups} which open if a certain amount of pressure is applied could be a good idea

Then a stronger collar for taking them out for walks,
I tend to not have collars on my lot most of the time but if they got out I would be breaking the law,

Still I would rather do that as have one strangled again, I had been lucky the last time but wouldnt want to take the chance again,
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 10:48 PM
That is so sad but not the first time I've heard of this happening either.

We always take Suki's collar off in the house and even when she's in the garden (she's always supervised).
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Terrible story, although I have to admit I wouldn't have thought it wise to leave a dog in a 'choke collar' all the time. Our wear the collars with the quick release catches. I tend to leave them on my old guys if I'm honest, but take it off the pup in the house, unless i know we will be in and out or have visitors.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-06-2007, 05:01 PM
What a sad sad story. As one or two have said I also didn't know it was so common an accident. We adopted the policy of 'no collars at home' about a year back and am glad we did, certainly won't put them on at home now.
LabLover47
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2007, 05:21 PM
wow that is a terribly sad story. i didn't know this was common either =(
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 05:24 PM
It would be nice to see collars come with a warning to owners on them, I think people who only own one dog never really think about it, but I did notice a post where one dog got caught on something in the kitchen so not only other dogs are a problem, I am still gob smacked at the sheer amount of people who have had problems or know of others who have,
Clipper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2007, 06:07 PM
This story is tragic. I don't kniw how I would ever get over something like that.
I read about a young dog getting it's collar caught on it's crate while unsupervised at home. when the owners came back in, they found the poor wee soul had been literally hung.
One of my clients, I'm a groomer, called to cancell her appointment with me, a while back. Her little yorkie was upstairsand had got his hind leg caught in his very slack collar, had then tried to come downstairs, tripped and fell, breaking his neck. The owner was distraught.
It has been years since any of my dogs have worn collars at home, and after hearing stories like these, I can't see any reason to change now.
I do hope that the dally's owner can find some comfort in knowing that her dog was very much loved.
Clipper & the furry gang.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3