View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Woody and Pickles will come back 100% of the time in any and every situation, as such they are rarely on lead. I'm very, very lucky with them both though.

Isla is off lead whenever possible and recalls 100%, as long as nothing catches her attention! Basically all it means is as long as I'm always aware of whats ahead of us, we have no problems as she's back on lead before she has chance to get distracted.

I don't think you're being cruel, just sensible. Better safe than sorry with a dog that has a tendency to wander. Considering he's a rescue he's probably just grateful to have someone to love him.
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I will not let mine off the lead as they can be selectivley deaf and also they will not tolerate other dogs running up and barking etc. I do have them on a flexi-lead so that they can have their spag moments but i am still in control of my dog and i'm aware of my surroundings.
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm really lucky with my two, although Nudge is by no means perfect. They seem to answer really well if there is a dangerous situation, other dogs around, cars coming, farm animals. It's the times when you think they will be safe that they throw a deafy!
You are doing the right thing, don't feel bad about it. You are better to have a safe dog rather than a flat dog. x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi I can let 4 of the rotts of anywhere any time, the four being, Royce, mea, kaos and tegan,
the pups vinnie and holly are not as well trained,. normaly all my dogs by the age of 6 months are pretty good, but I have not done as much with the pups as I should, holly is fine so long as a rabbit does not pop up in her path, if one does she is off after it and hears nothing, vinnie is ok with rabbits and so on, but I would not say he is 100% if a good looking doggey strolled by, hes a real ladys man, he wouldnt run off, well so long as the other dog did not, he kinda runs so far and then comes back, but you cant class this as 100% recall,
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2007, 06:52 AM
well gotta say a big thanks to all your replies. seems i'm not being a cruel mummy after all . there are certain areas i can let him off-lead and he is fine, but open spaces are his downfall, all those rabbits, squirrels etc. he would chase them to the end of the world! he doesn't seem to mind the long line and on some occasions in low distraction areas i can let it trail. i'm not convinced that i'll ever get a 100% recall like my other dogs, but at least i hope he enjoys his walks, even though its not as much freedom as he and i would like.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 07:07 AM
Bongo is not 100% on recall by any stretch of the imagination. She only gets off-lead on the beach when there's nobody else there (or just dogs we know). Parks, or the beach when there are lots of people, especially kids (she wants to play with all of them ), and definitely on roads, she's kept on lead.

Don't feel mean at all. You're acting in the best interests of your dog. I know you put loads of time into stimulating him through training, as well giving him plenty of exercise (and tonnes of love!) It would be lovely if he was 100% reliable off-lead, and don't write it off, it may yet happen, but you are giving Sam a really great life without it. He's a lucky boy to have found such an understanding owner
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Don't feel bad. You are being responsible, good on you.

Biffters and Mo are older and more clam and have a 100% recall to date (there recall is only as good as the last time you called them), all my pups have also had 100% recall....except for my special Flat Coat boy who had an APPALLING recall, he had to go share his love with anyone and anyhting he saw, some dogs are just like that.All you can do it work with it and keep at it, which is exactly what you are doing and the improvements are already astounding aren't they. No...you are being brill.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Diesel can be let off lead if in a fenced in area, if there is access to roads then no way, he has NO concept of traffic and has been known to "do his own thing" and ignore you completely. So, on lead unless fenced in
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3