Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Nelson's Mum View Post
ADVICE !! if you choose a puppy that's KC registered and there's endorsements on the cert DON'T buy it.
As previously said,i think that is a sign of a good breeder,that wants to do as much as they can to protect there puppy.

All mine including the one we keep will be endorsed.If the new owners don't agree to them then i'm sorry but they are not the sort of owners I would be looking for,and they would be welcome to go elsewhere.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Where do people get to hear of the breeder?
Word of mouth recommendations, Breed Club, KC Accredited Breeders, going to Breed shows [ for instance ], there are all sorts of ways for someone to easily find a good breeder while doing their research, in fact it should automatically be part of that research anyway imo :smt001
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Nelson's Mum View Post
ADVICE !! if you choose a puppy that's KC registered and there's endorsements on the cert DON'T buy it.

I would say the complete opposite.
If a breeder puts endorsements on, they are for the protection of the pup. If a breeder could`nt care less if the pups they produce may be abused by relentless breeding from for profit, or are not the best possible example from which to breed, those are the breeders to be avoided imo.
Breeders putting on endorsements is a plus point afaic.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Yes those who thoroughly research their breed would be able to hear, but it's all the other people we need to educate so advertising is the best way to guide people to buying a puppy properly and stopping them buying from just anyone.
Becky
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
As previously said,i think that is a sign of a good breeder,that wants to do as much as they can to protect there puppy.

All mine including the one we keep will be endorsed.If the new owners don't agree to them then i'm sorry but they are not the sort of owners I would be looking for,and they would be welcome to go elsewhere.
Same here, ALL my pups are endorsed including the one I keep which is not lifted until all health checks have been done and I'm happy with the way she has turned out.

So the statement belows seems a bit strange!

Originally Posted by Nelson's Mum
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by CockerMum View Post
yes!!!! but it is nice to see them playing outside in the garden. as long as you see they spend most of their time inside (if you want an inside doglet)

on a warm sunny day there's nothing nicer than sitting in the breeders garden with a cold drink and a lap full of playful pups
Agreed, didn't think of having a cuppa in the garden with playing pups, i just meant I wanted ton know for sure they were an inside, homebred litter.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:26 PM
i found this on a boxer site i was on .
Finding a Responsible Breeder

A breeder can be anyone who arranges matings between male and female dogs (preferably of the same breed). That's a broad definition, so how can puppy buyers know whether they are dealing with responsible, reputable breeders or simply with "fast buck" breeders? Fortunately, you don't have to be a dectective to find some clues.

Responsible breeders want to know all about you and your plans for a pup. They will ask if your yard is fenced, if anyone in the family has allergies, if you're planning to move anytime soon, if you have children, and so on. They may even ask you to fill out a questionnaire for their files, or even to provide references. They don't mean to pry, but they do want to ensure that their precious, carefully raised pups will go to the right homes. If they don't believe you're the right person, they may refuse to sell you a pup.

Fast buck breeders are always happy to take your money and hand over puppies without many questions.

Responsible breeders provide proof of registration. If a pup's registration is still being processed, they'll show you the litter registration and/or the dam and sire's registration certificates.

Fast buck breeders may insist the pups are purebred, while telling you, "We didn't bother with papers cause they cost more." Some might tell you that you could get papers if you're willing to pay more.

Responsible breeders put a lot of thought into producing litters. They may ship females long distances to be bred to the stud dog that seems a perfect match. They have females checked for appropriate health clearances, and will be happy to share the results with you. They will also verify that stud dogs undergo similar testing and are clear of known hereditary problems.

Fast buck breeders may breed to any dog that's handy, completely ignoring hereditary health and temperament issues.

Finding a reputable breeder may not be easy. Newspaper classified ads may lead you to more of the fast buck kind. The best way to find a breeder is to ask a knowledgeable owner for help. The Boxer Mailing List is a good place to start.
and Contributed by: Shirley Bell Bellcrest Boxers Reg'd,
July, 1997
BML Information

| History | Rules | How to Join | Subscriber Options |
| BML Photo Gallery | BML Memorial Photos |

Other Information
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:28 PM
very good and interresting thread
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:46 PM
I think an unscrupulous breeder is a breeder who;

Doesn't health check the parents
Doesn't ask potential buyers questions
Doesn't discuss the pro's and more importantly, the cons of the breed
Doesn't take steps to encourage buyers to do the relevant health checks
Doesn't at least worm the puppies.

That's all I can think of at the mo'. I don't think advertising means a breeder is at all dodgy, I've seen some of the known kennels advertise and I actually think it's a good thing. Yes, it means there will be more buyers to screen but I think if more of the good breeders advertised and outlined the benefits of the tests that they do, the general public would have more options and may be more likely to buy healthier puppies. I've heard people say that good breeders don't need to advertise which is probably true but look at the way things are. People buy puppies and know very little, if anything about the health of the puppies they're spending money on. Good breeders don't need to advertise but maybe if they did, the general public would be more aware of what's out there.

If I didn't join Dogsey, I wouldn't even know what a breed club was. When I first started looking into Akitas, I spent ages googling 'Akita breeders'. Of course loads came up and I had no idea what I was looking for, other than an Akita. If I didn't join Dogsey, I reckon I would have gone to a 'backyard breeder' and bought a puppy. Dogsey is good in that it gives unbiased views on many matters, whereas when you go to a breeder knowing little about dogs and breeds in general, it's hard to know whether they're legit or not.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

I would say the complete opposite.
If a breeder puts endorsements on, they are for the protection of the pup. If a breeder could`nt care less if the pups they produce may be abused by relentless breeding from for profit, or are not the best possible example from which to breed, those are the breeders to be avoided imo.
Breeders putting on endorsements is a plus point afaic.
i know some of the finest breeders in scotland, and the best ones NEVER place endorsements on their puppies. the most common endorsement is PROGENY NOT TO BE REGISTERED, this is to deter people from mating their new dogs when they come of age. the dog club i belong to has strict rules as to what age a bitch should be when first mated, and how many times she should be mated in her lifetime. puppies with endorsements on them don't belong to their new owners, they still belong to the breeder, who can control whether they can mate, be shown, or any other whim that comes into their heads !!
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »