Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
my biggest issue with harness type things is

: 99.9% are poor fitting, they can make things worse if they start to nip, cause sores and so on, you would not just go buy a harness for a horse and slap it on or your could be killed if it began nipping the horse, I would be alot happyer if these dog harnesses had more than small dog size med size large size two dogs who fall into med size could be a million miles away in shape and so on, It would be good if when buying these things you could go to the shop have the dog prof fitted, with clear instructions given on how to adjust, fit these should you need to in the future, also many dont look at these when out and if in course growth they often have thorns and so on stuck into them. To me its a personal choice I prefer not to use them, but to date I have not had to, I would never say never, you just dont know what the future holds, hopefuly though I will be able to continue without them.

FWIW, when doing one to ones with people, when I recommend a harness I do cover everything with them, teaching them about fit and adjustment, checking for wear and tear etc, how it works, harness handling tips, and often meet them at the shop in the area where people can take their dogs in to try them on, or if its not possible for me to meet them there [ timing wise ], I have lent them one of my own harnesses of the right size to take in to make sure they get the right one then I`ll help them adjust it properly if it needs it after they have got their own.

The shop I get most of mine from, [ I like having different colours and spares ], stocks a vast size range from teeny to huge with a variation of base chest measurement going up by two inches at a time through the sizes plus the underneath join strap is fully adjustable for long bodied or short bodied dogs so it really is made to suit all fits and shapes
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by bribiba View Post
I think the way you phrase your post are frankly boring and not worth the effort reading...
Imo of course
I`m sorry that you find my posts boring and of no useful content whatsoever, you are completely free to ignore them of course, but if nothing else, if you ever have insomnia and need a sleep aid, please do look them up as they might do the trick for you then at least I`ll have been helpful in some small way :smt001
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 09:49 PM
I know a little off topic but I have to say it. Patch please keep posting as I dont find them boring.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
FWIW, when doing one to ones with people, when I recommend a harness I do cover everything with them, teaching them about fit and adjustment, checking for wear and tear etc, how it works, harness handling tips, and often meet them at the shop in the area where people can take their dogs in to try them on, or if its not possible for me to meet them there [ timing wise ], I have lent them one of my own harnesses of the right size to take in to make sure they get the right one then I`ll help them adjust it properly if it needs it after they have got their own.

The shop I get most of mine from, [ I like having different colours and spares ], stocks a vast size range from teeny to huge with a variation of base chest measurement going up by two inches at a time through the sizes plus the underneath join strap is fully adjustable for long bodied or short bodied dogs so it really is made to suit all fits and shapes
It comes as no surprise to me that should you recomend a harness to a client that you find the right one and make sure its fitted well, unfortunately not all many will have you around, I feel shops selling these types of things should have a trained member of staff who can fit and advise people on what type would best suit them, I dont know of any shop who offer this sort of service, saddle makers train long and hard before they are let loose on horses, so I dont feel a half day course that most big shops such as pah would do if they did any would be enough training, just feel some shops will sell you anything, not really giving a fly flluk if it helps or not, so long as the cash is in the till, just out of curiosity, how much do these cost? is there a vast diff in prices
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2007, 10:18 PM
My local pet shop is one that will help you out in finding the right harness. They are quite happy for you to go through their entire range til you find one that suits you and your dog Saying that they are the same with everything from leads, collars, toys food etc. I suppose you get a better service with the small independant shops. PAT are useless when it comes to advice re their products I learned that the hard way
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
I feel shops selling these types of things should have a trained member of staff who can fit and advise people on what type would best suit them, I dont know of any shop who offer this sort of service, saddle makers train long and hard before they are let loose on horses, so I dont feel a half day course that most big shops such as pah would do if they did any would be enough training, just feel some shops will sell you anything, not really giving a fly flluk if it helps or not, so long as the cash is in the till,
I do agree with you, thats why I like to meet people there whenever possible, its most frustrating and not terribly ethical imo when staff know nothing about the products they are selling. I was in PAH not long back with Madmare and we asked if they had any activated charcoal granules [ Shady was having her tummy troubles at the time and was a tad whiffy in the bottom dept - understatement of the year lol ] and the shop assistant said he`d never heard of it, ` charcoals for fishtanks not dogs` is what he said

just out of curiosity, how much do these cost? is there a vast diff in prices
For the main size for three of my crew theirs are just over a tenner each, the largest size iirc is about 12 squid, small cocker spaniel size was 8 something [ I can remember that ones price as I went and got it for the owner as she could`nt get there herself ], so not a huge variance in price from smallest to largest. They use different widths of fabric and clips depending on measurement so pretty fair pricing I`d have to say, [ and more colour choice than most, bonus ! ] They are also fabric webbing rather than nylon so while plenty strong enough they are very gentle on the dogs coats, especially good for very short or fine coated dogs :smt001
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 12:02 AM
must say I thought they would be more expensive, it cost me an arm and leg a few years ago to have a leather harness made for my gsd, { before anyone jumps on saying oh, you said before you dont use them} it was for tracking., that said it was hand made / fitted with fab bridal leather, lost it around 8 years ago,,,,silly me
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2007, 07:04 AM
bribiba - i only asked if anyone can recommend a harness but you went off on one and to be frank i think your comments were harsh and rude so in future dont reply to my posts as you have offended some of my friends on here and fyi my dogs do not go to training and they only pull little when we first go out becuse they are so excited, they are good dogs!

thanks everyone else for the advice and thank you carole i think i will try the gentle leader, i have the walkezee but me or buster are not really fussed on it, i may even try the easywalk.

bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2007, 07:56 AM
I am sorry if I offended anyone. I believe in free speech and I stand by my guns on this. I did NOT 'go off on one' I mearly stated that I do not and never will like those gadgets to ' help train dogs'. I don't care what excuse you have for your dog pulling it can be stopped by the old fashioned method off training. Most dogs pull when they first go out it is called being excited because they are getting a walk..
If you don't like what I said you don't have to read it!

Originally Posted by Buster & Bella View Post
bribiba - i only asked if anyone can recommend a harness but you went off on one and to be frank i think your comments were harsh and rude so in future dont reply to my posts as you have offended some of my friends on here and fyi my dogs do not go to training and they only pull little when we first go out becuse they are so excited, they are good dogs!

thanks everyone else for the advice and thank you carole i think i will try the gentle leader, i have the walkezee but me or buster are not really fussed on it, i may even try the easywalk.

Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 09:48 AM
I have my GSD on a gentle leader. I find it invaluable as we now enjoy our walks much more as I have more control over him and feel more at ease. There is nothing wrong in using these they are just a different form of controlling your dog. My dog is happy with it. And so am I.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >