View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 01:07 PM
ok... IF the dog is drugged or disabled, then yes this is very wrong but...

Worse than a puppy farmer?! I think not... this dog is not being kept in bad conditions, not sleeping in his own urine (from what we can see), not being bred to death, not producing deformed puppies, has loads of one to one time with his owner who loves him (even if she has a funny way of showing it), is not being kept in a kennel two small for him, etc. etc.

The tongue thing - talk about making assumptions!! His tongue sticks out so he MUST be drugged or ill. My friend has a crossbreed who is perfectly healthy and leads a normal life, but her tonger never goes in her mouth. Even when she closes it, she just closes her mouth on her tongue.

Could it not be that the dog is extremely laid back?!
Ok, I've not come across that many laid back dogs, living in the world of dalmatians, but having met the occasional dog that would be dead if it were any more laid back, could it not be that this little dog is so used to the atmosphere of photography studios, due to the nature of his owner's work and that he goes everywhere with her, that he is laid back and able to stay put when asked to.

I don't find it tasteful, but if it's causing no detrement to the dog and he enjoys being in the limelight, and it's where the money is, why judge her?

It really winds me up sometimes how people can get on their high horse before they even know the ins and outs.

For goodness' sake, this woman picked this dog up, spent fortunes of time and money on bringing him back to health and absolutely adores him.
Having watched the 'King of Wishful Thinking' it's clear he can interact normally, and isn't paralysed - perhaps, just perhaps, he's happy?!

If there was any proof this dog was drugged and not leading a full life due to her selfishness, then that's a totally different story, but it winds me up when people jump to conclusions so easily just because they wouldn't do it or because their dog wouldn't be happy doing it.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-05-2007, 01:20 PM
the tongue could be medical.......ie undershot jaw.
from the bits i have seen regardless of how much she has spent on him she is treating this dog as a toy not a living beathing animal.
there is no way unless it is medically need i would shave buddys coat down to change the appearance of the dog "to look like a soft toy"
sorry but if she was a cuddly toy buy 1 not a dog, what kind of message is she giving to others, get a pom shave it down and treat it like a little toy.
got to be a no for me, even my kids see bud as a dog and treat him as such she should know better.
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2007, 01:25 PM
I thinking dressing him up, putting him under hot studio lights and photographing him for any length of time whilst he is panting away IS cruel. But thats just my opinion
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2007, 01:39 PM
I watched the video last night , King of Wishful Thinking and a couple of others. I didn't reply last night as I was not happy with the way this little dog is being exploited. I just had to go and have a cigarette before replying now. Whilst it's good that the owner saved the dog , who was found lying at the side of the road and had a severe ear mite infestation , I do not agree with the way the dog is dressed up like a doll and put into different poses for the camera. To me , the dog looks like he has a disability. In one video I watched , he was finding it difficult keeping his balance. He was swaying constantly and wobbled every time he took a step. Yes , look after and take care of the little mite, but don't exploit him by making him pose in positions he has no ability to get up and walk away from , whether he enjoys it or not. You wouldn't do this to a disabled person so please don't do it to a disabled animal.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 02:41 PM
he is a sweet dog bless him but though I think it's great he was saved and she likes to talk about him and show him to people etc etc, I don't like how she keeps propping him up for the crowds etc. If he does many appearnces that last quite a long while just let the little guy be as he would, if people don't like it - tough - but if he needs to lie down or would be more comfortable not posing then they shouldn't get him to do it and if it doesn't draw in so much of a crowd - to bad.

I don't think it cruel to keep the little fella alive and not put him down as we don't do that just because people have a disability and if he is getting well cared for all good and well but I'm not comfortable with the making money off his disabilities - would people think he was so 'cute' if was able to behave like he would minus the disabilities or are they only interested in him because of them - because they see them as a novilty? If so that is weird and I don't like it.

So yeah I'm not sure about the people who follow these movies / books / visits etc etc but the little guy is sweet with or without what he has wrong. I just hope people like him for what he is; a dog and not for any other reason.

Personally I would love to hear about him minus the 'sex in the city' appearances / book signings or what ever they do.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Missysmum View Post
don't exploit him by making him pose in positions he has no ability to get up and walk away from , whether he enjoys it or not.
If this is the case, then I wholeheartedly agree.

However, if it's not and he has the choice to get away from it, then, although distasteful in my opinion (and the obvious distaste I have for 'handbag dogs') I can't say it's wrong.

He could just be enjoying the attention. If he's not, then fair do's I agree with you all, but as there is nothing to say that he has any disability, I refuse to judge her.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
I never judge people like you Lottie but after watching more - the little guy is clearly disabled and can't move around as he would minus the disabilities which is why I feel uncomfortable with it.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
I never judge people like you Lottie but after watching more - the little guy is clearly disabled and can't move around as he would minus the disabilities which is why I feel uncomfortable with it.
Fair do's. I saw the sick bed, the sex in the city and king of wishful thinking (all on mute ) and didn't see that, only saw him running around or laid in bed, etc. so can't say.
It also says in his story that he can now lead a normal life - hence my reasoning.

What wound me up was the people who said 'I only saw the pictures and think it's sick' etc.. you can't tell anything from the pictures really...
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:40 PM
lol@on mute...you should have had the sound up, the crowd was really irritating in one movie. But yes people do jump in too soon with opinions on most topics I agree and know what you mean

If you check out the one where she has his bed on a table in what looks to be a book store he didn't look like he could even hold his little head up for long and she kept re positioning him so people could get the best view. His movement was quite off in a few of the things I saw I'm asuming he is disabled / brain damaged.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by ebrcknrdg View Post
I thinking dressing him up, putting him under hot studio lights and photographing him for any length of time whilst he is panting away IS cruel. But thats just my opinion
According to the owner [ in the comments on one of the links ] when someone else there said :

"I have always thought Mr. Winkle was adorable, but after watching this, I feel sorry for him. He was under the hot lights so long he had to have water. Notice early on when he is picked up off the bed and re-arranged -- it looks like his legs are bound together. There isn't any individual limb movement, his back end moves as one unit. Is he restrained in this manner to keep him from leaving? Dog modeling doesn't look like a fun life to me."

she responded :

"Mr. Winkle was NOT under hot lights during this photo shoot - or any photo shoot. The lights used are strobes that generate no heat whatsoever. Nor were his "legs bound". He was just relaxing in a soft little bed, the same way most dogs do half the day. Mr. Winkle is the love of my life and treated like royalty all the time. lara jo regan"

[ I havent formed an opinion other than feeling a tad uncomfortable re the Patient vid, I`m still going through the comments to see what the owners responses are to any concerns posted with the vids...]
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >