Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
This is what I was trying to say.
Does Max (much as I am sure he loves you) sit at the gate because when he started to do it your OH went and stroked him, stopping whatever he was doing outside to do so...making a fuss of him etc...thus rewarding him for the behaviour, so Max learnt that when you go out and he's outside, if he sits by the gate, he gets lots of fuss, even if it is only verbal????
No, it's never been reinforced...

My OH went to work down in our field the first time it happened, and got worried that Max wasn't with him. He thought he might have slipped out of the gate with me, or got shut in the house when I left.

He trekked back up to the house and there Max was, sat by the fence, looking at the space that my car usually sits in!

He then called Max to come down to the field with him, and apparantly Max turned his head towards him, then turned back round and laid down looking out onto the driveway/road....

OH went down into the field and Max didn't follow him at all.

TBH, since we've got a secure garden etc, we don't mind, but we find it quite funny as he does it every week on a Thursday...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
When I go off somewhere (e.g. my slimming class) and my OH is outside working, Max will sit by the gate/fence for the whole time I am gone waiting for me. No amount of attention from my OH will make him move until I come back.
He may not have done it the first time...but if he tried after that time...it doesn't matter how small the reinforcement was or how inadvertent, just that it was there.

That said, I do think dogs 'miss' (for want of a better word) people more when they are left in the same environment and their familiar people aren't there...they will be seen to 'look' for people more then.Like I say, just like people, it's worse for those that are left behind...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Yes...but I didn't post about it! :smt002 He left about 9 weeks ago.
Bless it wasn't Saturn that we were concerned about, although flatties don't generally do well in a kennel environment, it was Ember, our GSD X GR.
How are you coping without him. Have you heard how he is doing?? PM if you prefer, so we don't go off-topic
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Will do..!!!!
He settled really quickly... let's just say, he is behaving like a true flattie and having a whale of a time!!!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I know that if I was ever split from mad dog, she would deffinately pine for a long while without me. And me her.
I bet she wouldn't you know If she came to live with me (for example) who would fuss her, feed her well, give her treats and training and lots of long walks, do you really think she would pine?

I have no doubt that you would, but I don't think she would.

As long as a dog is well provided for with good food, plenty of exercise and stimulation, warmth, comfort and affection I think most (if not all) would settle down within a few days.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:45 PM
You can put anything forward regards a dogs behaviour and it be pulled apart as routine or behaviour, however I believe that your dogs do build up a loyal bond with a particular person or persons in the household and my view won't change. My dogs are very socialable and happy to be with anyone, however they will still constantly check the window for my homecoming. Is this down to routine, no, waiting to be fed, no. Just waiting for me.
As for dogs in history, yes you can pull it apart but the fact i'm impressed that my dogs will do a 30 minutes down stay. Greyfriars bobby did it for 14 years, so I don't believe that there wasn't a special bond there. The dog left and had his lunch somewhere else on the sound of the gun before returning to lie on the grave. As for the Akita, he too made the same journey to the rail way station for many years looking for his dead owner. Yes dogs have a routine but I don't know of many that would continue alone doing something, lying and waiting for their lifetime.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:48 PM
He may not have done it the first time...but if he tried after that time...it doesn't matter how small the reinforcement was or how inadvertent, just that it was there.

That said, I do think dogs 'miss' (for want of a better word) people more when they are left in the same environment and their familiar people aren't there...they will be seen to 'look' for people more then.Like I say, just like people, it's worse for those that are left behind...
Oh yes, I think he waits for me/looks for me, but we probably have now reinforced it!!

I'm sure he thinks I'm off somewhere exciting without him... I'm sure Slimming World is exciting to a dog!
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:51 PM
I do think dogs built up a very loyal bond but I also think they are very adaptable creatures and when that bond is forced apart they look to build a new bond elsewhere.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
You can put anything forward regards a dogs behaviour and it be pulled apart as routine or behaviour, however I believe that your dogs do build up a loyal bond with a particular person or persons in the household and my view won't change. My dogs are very socialable and happy to be with anyone, however they will still constantly check the window for my homecoming. Is this down to routine, no, waiting to be fed, no. Just waiting for me.
But is it YOU in particular they are waiting for? Or are they waiting for the person they know will walk, feed and love them? If you left your dogs with me for a week or so, I wonder if they would transfer that loyalty to me I bet they would.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I bet she wouldn't you know If she came to live with me (for example) who would fuss her, feed her well, give her treats and training and lots of long walks, do you really think she would pine?

I have no doubt that you would, but I don't think she would.

As long as a dog is well provided for with good food, plenty of exercise and stimulation, warmth, comfort and affection I think most (if not all) would settle down within a few days.
Well my father does the same when i'm away from home, and he is a familiar person to her you'd think she'd find some comfort in that? She still pines.

I'd be prepared to put money on it with Maddy. :smt002
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >