View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 08:43 PM
If we are talking about cross breeding I do not think this should be encouraged at all
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-04-2007, 08:43 PM
God no.

Breagh (my pup) is a black lab crossed with a black lab x pointer.

This is a classic case of people mixing things up to 'create' something for a purpose.

I've nothing against this at all (which I thought you did)
but I (respecting the breed standard) would never throw her lines into black lab breeding.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by cc22peatree View Post
If we are talking about cross breeding I do not think this should be encouraged at all
That's a whole different box of frogs and covered on other threads
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Who decided what the standard was in the first place? It could have been a group of people who, at the time, had the power to say this is what we want and that's the way it's going to be. Is that right?
How do breeds evolve? Do we just stand still, some standards are worded in such a manner that actually calls for a skeletal defect. Is that right?
In poodles the FCI doesn't accept all the colours that we do, or those in the States, so who's right? FCI, us or the Americans.
Great Danes have recently had the breed standard altered to allow the Mantle Danes, are you saying the mantle breeders were wrong to continue to breed them? They are a 'by-product' of Harlequin breeding. Parti Coloured poodles are one of the original colours of the poodles and they crop up naturally even with generations of solid breeding behind them, why should they be excluded? They're still poodles.
Becky
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Who decided what the standard was in the first place? It could have been a group of people who, at the time, had the power to say this is what we want and that's the way it's going to be. Is that right?
How do breeds evolve? Do we just stand still, some standards are worded in such a manner that actually calls for a skeletal defect. Is that right?
In poodles the FCI doesn't accept all the colours that we do, or those in the States, so who's right? FCI, us or the Americans.
GreatDanes ahve recently had the breed standard altered to allow the Mantle Danes, are you saying the mantle breeders were wrong to continue to breed them? They are a 'by-product' of Harlequin breeding. Parti Coloured poodles are one of the original colours of the poodles and they crop up naturally even with generations of solid breeding behind them, why should they be excluded? They're still poodles.
Becky
Good points made here.

There are some seriously fxxxxd up dogs that meet breed standard. There's a lot of healthy dogs destroyed because breeders don't want to admit their dogs 'produced' certain traits.

It's down to the people that know dogs to evolve and improve breed standards not the folk that write them to control what we do and don't accept
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 09:00 PM
OK lets take it another step further. In Germany they have now accepted Parti colours and Phantom poodles who have their own classes, so who is right? Which breed standard do we accept?
Becky
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 09:02 PM
OK lets take it another step further. In Germany they have now accepted Parti colours and Phantom poodles who have their own classes, so who is right? Which breed standard do we accept?
Becky
what does this mean

I don't no the standard fora poodle
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Great Danes have recently had the breed standard altered to allow the Mantle Danes, are you saying the mantle breeders were wrong to continue to breed them? They are a 'by-product' of Harlequin breeding. Parti Coloured poodles are one of the original colours of the poodles and they crop up naturally even with generations of solid breeding behind them, why should they be excluded? They're still poodles.
Becky
The breed standards are right Becky, if you are living in a Country where pedigree dogs are governed by the FCI then you ought to breed to those standards, however you live here and mismarked Poodles are NOT an accepted colour, you have offered nothing to the breed by doing this, you have not improved nor enhanced them in any way, shape or form, its purely asthetics and you being anti-docking would of, I thought would be absolutely against producing anything thats just bred to "look" a certain way.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
but surely when breeding we should be breeding the best,with as few faults as possible and as close to the standard as possible.
we should be aiming to produce the "perfect" example of the breed,otherwise what's the point.

Hey Sal

Because maybe not every person breeding dogs, breed to make the best SHOW DOG Sal. Once apon a time dogs used to be bred for sports and hunting, running around all day and having the best of the best. Then the show world started now its all about creating the best dog to get a title.

I would breed to whatever is the healthiest, as long as the dog is pure breed then I couldnt care less if was Black and Tan, its ears where full prick. Health is way more important and because so many people are staying very strict to the standards, ie, health, height, ears etc, major faults like a short muzzle in staffords are not being looked in to, when it should be.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Every breed is bred to 'look' a certain way.
I don't agree with docking because I think it is cruel and painful and an abuse of a defenceless puppy not because I prefer the 'look' of an undocked dog (although I do).
With regards to the Standards, your basically saying that a poodle can be Black and Tan in Germany and the States (they can show them there too under a different registry) and be a poodle but not here in the UK? That's just plain daft. This is how breeds become split, just look at what happened to the Akita, it is now so different to the breed in the country of origin that they have now been registered as two separate breeds.
However, I'm working on the basis that the breed standard will be altered in time as many others have in the past to include new colours (fawn and blue dobes, brindle basenjis, mantle danes etc) so I just need to ensure I breed the best phantoms I can so they adhere to the breed standard other than their colour.
Becky
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »