Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
WOW

Bit of a shock tonight.

Our Vet goes for a 16 weeks !
I am no expert, but I would have said 16weeks was way to young.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-04-2007, 11:19 PM
That was my reaction. It was 'our' vet's partner that saw Breagh tonight. We discussed it and she said that Clair (our vet) is really up for doing it young. I've obviously asked for opinions on here and read them all but to think she could only be 4 weeks away is a shock.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-04-2007, 11:23 PM
That was my reaction. It was 'our' vet's partner that saw Breagh tonight. We discussed it and she said that Clair (our vet) is really up for doing it young. I've obviously asked for opinions on here and read them all but to think she could only be 4 weeks away is a shock.
The people I know always say the same, some vets say before and some after the first season, but the one who do it before it tends to be 6/7months. Thats why I thought 4months is a little young
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
The people I know always say the same, some vets say before and some after the first season, but the one who do it before it tends to be 6/7months. Thats why I thought 4months is a little young
I'm perhaps going over old ground (with this thread) but we can't let Breagh have a 'first' season with Skye and Fingal on tap.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm perhaps going over old ground (with this thread) but we can't let Breagh have a 'first' season with Skye and Fingal on tap.
I read that, the point i was trying to make was there seems to be two schools of thought and i have never seen 4months suggested.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2007, 07:18 AM
My bitch, Meeka, was spayed at 17 weeks. She is now 2 and there have not been any problems and she is fit and healthy. She is on the slim side but so is her brother (castrated at 19 weeks) and her sister (spayed at 8 months) so that could just be the way they are built.

Interestingly, her sister is incontinent after spaying and will have to be on medication for the rest of her life but Meeka is fine.

My vet has been spaying at a young age for over 15 years and the dogs are often with his practice into old age and he says that he has not seen any adverse effects from early spaying/castration. He prefers to spay bitches at this age due to everything being less vascular hence less risk of bleeding during surgery and also they recover a lot quicker.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Our vets go for 5 months Pip. That was when Fudge was done. I think you also need to think about who will be around to look after her when she has had it done. the summer hols for you would seem the best time?
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2007, 08:55 AM
i had bonnie spayed at 6mths, before her first season. the vet wanted to wait till after her season but i said no because of hector, even tho' he was 'done' in october.

i wouldn't take the chance with 2 entire males. you cant watch them 24 hours and accidents do happen.

16 weeks is early, wait till she's 6 months.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Our vets go for 5 months Pip. That was when Fudge was done. I think you also need to think about who will be around to look after her when she has had it done. the summer hols for you would seem the best time?
She'll be about 6 months by the summer hols.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >