View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 03:30 PM
I agree with Mahooli 100% on this. Weight pulling is used as yet another way of making your dog look macho. Its all those kind of thing that ed reid likes to do at his shows that give bull breeds there image. IMO
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Malamutes, huskies etc have been specifically bred for pulling sleds for thousands of years, that's what they live for. Bull breeds were bred for completely different purposes.
Becky
Malamutes and Siberian's also compete in weight pulls:smt002
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Northern Inuits and Utonagan's are also starting sled pulling in Finland.

IMHO, if a dog enjoys weight/rig pulling, then I don't see any problems with it. The only issue I have is the 'no brains' that do it for the wrong reasons
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
would bull breeds be good at pulling rigs over a distance?
I suppose some would be pretty good at pulling rigs over a long distance, such as the American Bulldog..But I have never tried it with mine so wouldn't know Another thing I suppose it depends on is the fitness of your dog..

Sara1210
I agree with Mahooli 100% on this. Weight pulling is used as yet another way of making your dog look macho. Its all those kind of thing that ed reid likes to do at his shows that give bull breeds there image. IMO
I strongly disagree, my dogs don't look macho just because I happen to get them 'out' there doing what they enjoy doing. I have never entered them into tornaments because as I said they don't have to prove themselves to me, nor anyone else. As long as they continue to enjoy doing it, I personally don't see the harm, it's not hurting anyone, it's not hurting the dogs and it's not hurting me or my seven year old. Infact it helps keep them fit, works off excess energy for me it's a way of getting all my dogs to interact with each other and most of all they think it's fun..What is the harm with that?
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-01-2007, 05:31 PM
There is an image problem; unfortunately like everything in life it only takes a smallish minority to ruin and create negativity in the minds of most people. However as AB owner it’s frustrates me at the ignorance of (some not all) people and the way they embrace media hype.

Just because I have an American Bulldog at the end of my lead (an easyleader, what was you expecting? 3” thick metal chain ) does that mean I’m using my dog to act macho? No it doesn’t …….why don’t you get to know me before you judge me. A lot of dogs do things that they weren’t originaly bred for? Does it mean that we should not have these dogs anymore?

To say bull breeds were not bred for pulling is just wrong – Rottweiler’s just one example.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Whilst I agree that some people who part take in weight pulling do not fight their dogs nor do it for the 'image' I'd put money on the fact that the majority do. It's the 'legitimate' face of their 'sport'.
As for pulling rigs a team of Standard Poodles has completed the Iditarod 4 times! I believe they are now banned from taking part!
Becky
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Whilst I agree that some people who part take in weight pulling do not fight their dogs nor do it for the 'image' I'd put money on the fact that the majority do
What a sweeping statement to make, I am not one of that 'majority' and most people I know within the circles are not like that either..
Some of the nicest, most genuine people I have come to know are from the world of American Bulldog and the Olde Tyme Bulldogge..I've made many friends, all of them decent, genuine folk who wouldn't dream of using their dogs as an image extention and wouldn't dream of putting their dogs in any danger, most people I know (and I have come to know a lot of them in the four/five years I have owned my dogs) love their dogs, all of which have worked very hard to promote each breed in a very positive light..
I find it VERY hard to belive that these very people who have done good for each breed are in that 'majority' many a decent dog/men/women among these circles..
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 06:59 PM
I personally think that the majority of bull owners that use their dogs to pull weights, are doing it because their dogs (and themselves) enjoy it, not because they're trying to turn their dogs into some sort of 'lean, mean, killing machine' although I do agree that there is 'p*nis extenders' that are out there doing exactly that.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I personally think that the majority of bull owners that use their dogs to pull weights, are doing it because their dogs (and themselves) enjoy it, not because they're trying to turn their dogs into some sort of 'lean, mean, killing machine' although I do agree that there is 'p*nis extenders' that are out there doing exactly that.
If you really believe that, go to ed reids website and see when his next meeting is, go and watch one and i guarantee you come out with a completely different opinion
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
If you really believe that, go to ed reids website and see when his next meeting is, go and watch one and i guarantee you come out with a completely different opinion
It's not necessarily what I believe Sara, just what I think. I'm always open to suggestion and will look at both sides of a discussion.

Could you PM me the link please. Unless his meeting is in the east Kent area, I'm unable to attend.
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »