Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Sorry if this sounds harsh but choosing a job opportunity over the welfare of your dogs doesn't exactly make you a good dog owner. I really hope you decided to turn the job down but if not it’d be in your dogs best interest to find them new fully committed homes, which is what I imagine will end up happening anyway
I believe jobs are what brings in the money to provide food, bedding and vet care for our dogs.....
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I believe jobs are what brings in the money to provide food, bedding and vet care for our dogs.....
Yes but only if it doesn't mean abandoning our dogs which in a sense is exactly what is going to happen
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Yes but only if it doesn't mean abandoning our dogs which in a sense is exactly what is going to happen
But this is EXACTLY what she is avoiding trying to do!
Instead, taking responsibilty, and looking for the very best home for the dogs to live in whilst she was gone.

If she had come on and posted here saying she had this oppertunity and that she was seeking new homes for the dogs alot of people would be on her back about taking on dogs and not planning ahead. Disposable society and all that.

Clearly SV cares alot for her animals. Before the job is even properly confirmed she is trying to find the best way to care for these animals in her absence.

So many animals are handed in to rescue centres when people go abroad to make a life for themselves.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Sorry if this sounds harsh but choosing a job opportunity over the welfare of your dogs doesn't exactly make you a good dog owner. I really hope you decided to turn the job down but if not it’d be in your dogs best interest to find them new fully committed homes, which is what I imagine will end up happening anyway
I have to agree with Anne on this one and I can speak from experience. I waited for years until I got my first dog, as I worked for an airline as cabin crew.
I knew when I had my dogs was that it was a job I could not return to. Not long after I got my first dog I was contacted by an airline an offered a job in Dubai. Although this was exciting and my brother was working out there at the time. I made the decision when I got a dog that unless anything happened to me, I would never part with them, I will not even go abroad on holidays now as I won't put them in kennels (nothing against kennels, just personal choice) So it's off to Scotland every year on holiday for us, which I wouldn't want any other way.
Having dogs are a tie and causes a lot of restrictions regarding jobs, holidays etc. It was a tie I was more than happy to have though. Nothing (apart from death) would part me from my dogs.

I don't mean this as a get at sweetveronica, just my view. At the end of the day she has come on for help and advice but it's a difficult one to call. You say you are a singer, ie in the entertainment business, therefore you might end up in Egypt or somewhere else in the world for longer than a year.
You have to ask yourself is having dogs the best thing for you right now. I don't doubt you love your dogs but maybe it would be better to find them permanent homes instead and have dogs when you're more settled and back in this country.
Your asking someone to take them on for a year, bond with them, train them and then want them back in a years time. At that point the dogs might be perfectly settled and happy with someone else. You have to put your feelings to one side and put the dogs first. Personally I think they would be happier in the long term permantly rehomed with someone else. Hard on you, I know but It would probably be the kindest thing for them and cause you less heartache in the long run.
Good luck
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 12:59 PM
I also don't think its fair on the dogs to up and leave them and probaly seperate them for a year at this tender age.
I can see its a good opportunity for you but I could never do it to my dogs and god knows I need the money, but I got my dogs to have a secure home with me, whatever.
If you take up this opportunity for your dogs sakes you should permantly rehome them in suitable homes as soon as possible, so they are still young enough to adapt well.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 01:29 PM
I agree with Anne also.
Yes your job oppotunity maybe to good to turn down,but in all honesty,you should have thought long and hard before committing to owning a dog as it is a lifelong commitment.
I don't think it would be fair to the dogs either,they will be settled in their new homes.
I know i could never leave mine with anybody especially for that length of time.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Thank you those who have stuck up for me and seen my point of view.

I came on here to ask if anyone would be potentially interested in fostering my dogs, I didn't ask if anyone thought I was doing the right thing.

I love my girls, and will only let them be with people who will look after them and love them, but I cannot justify turning down this chance for me, my partner and my stepson if it all goes ahead as planned.

I thank those who have sent me advice, and I shall definately be emailing my stud dog owner. I'm sorry that not all of you agree with my life choices, but thats always the way!

I'm not a bad dog owner, my girls are all happy and loved! but sometimes things happen in life that weren't planned!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 04:50 PM
I hope you find a foster home for both of your girls.

Whether I agree with your decision or not is totally irrelevant to this post, but, whatever decision you make regarding the welfare of your girls, I just hope it won't come back and bite you in the ass.

Good luck hun, I hope everything works out for you
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks wolfie, much appreciated. I'm sure it won't bite me in the ass lol!
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2007, 09:57 AM
I hope you find loving homes for them. Having been in a similar position I can empathise with you. A friend offered to foster our 2yr old gsd until we were able to take her back but because she would be with them for atleast six months, probably a lot longer, we made the heartbreaking decision to rehome her. That was 15yrs ago & I still miss her to this day though I'm sure we did the right thing for her.
Not all things in life can be foreseen. Good luck
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >