View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:40 PM
I had Marley and Me as well and haven't read it yet as I was saving it for a special occasion so the Dogsey Book Club sounds like a good place to make a start on it
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:43 PM
it does seem like a good first book for a Dogsey Book Club...an easy one to get us started???
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:04 PM
That sounds like a really good idea. I do enjoy reading but tends to go through phases; sometimes I'll read a book in a couple of days and other times I'll be reading the same book for months!

Ramble and Lizziel - I hope that you'll really enjoy Marley & Me. There are several references to Marley having his choke chain tugged, which did make me cringe but all in all I really enjoyed it!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
it does seem like a good first book for a Dogsey Book Club...an easy one to get us started???
I've got Marley and Me too, and am just coming to the end of my current book (about 25 pages left). Looks like the perfect book to start with.

It's probably going to be one of the few times we've all got the same book (well, some of us anyway!)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2007, 10:12 PM
count me out of that one I have already ordered mine and will be one holiday for 2 weeks and nowhere near bookstores. | certainly am not going to be writing reviews either. so maybe I will just bow out and leave you to it.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:21 PM
How about this then? As it's going to be near impossible for more than just a few of us to read the same book at the same time, for various reasons, why don't we just review the latest book we've read. That way, none of us are under pressure to read to a time scale (this could end up being like "homework"), you won't have to go out and purchase a book especially to join in, and we'll get reviews on a wide range of books and subjects.

If we put the title of the book in the subject line, then anyone who has said book, but hasn't read it yet, can chose not to read the review in case it puts them off, or spoils their enjoyment of it.

I certainly wouldn't like being under pressure to read a book in a certain amount of time ... it would end up being a task for me.

Just a thought....

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2007, 10:41 PM
I always thought the basis of a book club was to read a preselected book in a reasonable time scale such as a month, The point being that it would then be discussed rather than reviewed and that because the books were chosen for you it expands your horizons and introduces you to authors you may never have read before and even genres you may never have ventured into. The reason for discussing is manyfold as I think we all put different intrepretations on what we read and sometimes we may even misunderstand what we are reading. Cause that could just be a load of old cobblers
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I always thought the basis of a book club was to read a preselected book in a reasonable time scale such as a month, The point being that it would then be discussed rather than reviewed and that because the books were chosen for you it expands your horizons and introduces you to authors you may never have read before and even genres you may never have ventured into. The reason for discussing is manyfold as I think we all put different intrepretations on what we read and sometimes we may even misunderstand what we are reading. Cause that could just be a load of old cobblers
I agree with Trouble here.
I wouldn't much fancy writing reviews either, I have enough writing looming at the moment!!! I'd be hapy to go onto the thread and post about the book. People should be able to feel free to come and go from it, as people may have read the book at another time and want to comment.
Can I suggest...
We take Marley and Me as an easy start...
Give ourselves 3 weeks to read it (say to Jan 31st?)
During this month we can sort out the next book (Trouble, you could leave your suggestions before you jet off)...in fact I could start a thread on that in the next couple of days?
On Jan 31st we can start a Marley and Me thread...if you want to comment (and are ready to) comment...if not leave it??? No-one has to 'review' it unless they want to!
What do you all reckon?
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 08:52 AM
I really like the ideas here, perhaps we can take both forward? We could have the core book club, reading agreed books by an agreed time, but then if people want to pop in a review of their latest read separately they can do.

I love reading reviews on books, it is generally what makes me buy them rather than buying on impulse. Just my thoughts anyway
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 08:56 AM
People could feel free to post their reviews on the thread, it may make the thread more interesting anyway for those people who haven't read the book???
What do you think???
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >