Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2004, 08:11 PM
*bows*
traybabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Well said Katy - I might even have a fag tonight - why? because I can and all the time we have the freedom to choose (just!) then I will - so there!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2004, 04:56 PM
did you have a ciggie then........

I don't look at life like this ..my mum died when i was younger from drinking related illnesses... i don't feel she was selfish at all she lived her life the way she wanted and was happy and when she died I never felt let down ..just proud that she enjoyed her life.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm afraid my kids we're too young to look at things that way.To answer my son when he asked why his dad had chosen to carry on smoking and die rather than give up smoking and spend more time with him was far from easy.
I do however think,as I said, that it is personal choice.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2005, 10:31 PM
I foced my mum to give up.
I have her an ultimatum.

Smoking or me.
I said to her "Both your parents have died from cancer, my Dad (her husband) has died from cancer, and i'm in remission from cancer. Why do you want to kill yourself?"

She stopped smoking
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2005, 12:25 AM
i dont think the smoking adverts are shocking enough. The one with the old bloke with a tube down his throat and sayin he was gonna c his daughter at xmas, then it says he died b4 he did. that one sends a chill down my spine
the MUM one wasnt very good, they could have made it better. I think the smokin campaigns might deter people from startin smokin rather than quitting??

I also think the drinkin drivin campaigns r very good, they always send a chill down my spine! They really make u think.. well i think.. but comin from a non drinker point of view
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Hello,

I don't think that smoking does as much damage as they are made out to do, I know many a person who lived to a ripe of age of 80+ and in there 90's who have smoked upto 60 ciggarettes a day and died of heart attacks.

I think that cancer is in your genes, as my father's family have all died of cancer at the same young age of 62 some smoked some didn't.

Also if we all stopped smoking, how would the government cope, it relies on the tax on these ciggarettes to pay the way. Also if they really wanted to stop us from smoking they could easily cut the content of the cigarettes, if you know what I mean. Same as drugs, they know who the big wigs are but they won't go after them, because it keeps people in jobs, chasing them.

Sorry if I have hit a nerve, but this is MHO.

Ian
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2005, 11:29 AM
I CHOOSE not to smoke....one of my biggest memories of childhood is my mother in the morning! The wracking cough and retching...caused by smoking...it made me feel sick.
What does annoy me is that although I choose not to smoke at times I am forced to inhale other peoples smoke....by having free choice to smoke people take away my free choice not to
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2005, 11:54 AM
we all have our habbits ....... non smokers have theirs as well ...we have had heaps of threads on this and the debate has been good on all of them ........but it always comes down to choice ..as i tell a friend of mine who stands next to me and fake coughs LOL .....don't stand next to me !
Red
Dogsey Junior

03-01-2005, 10:53 AM
I also find it annoying having to inhale other peoples smoke.I have asthma and one of the triggers is smoke i only have to walk past someone who's smoking and i start wheezing

I also get really peed off when people hold there fags down at pushchair level and let the smoke blow all over the little uns.I've even had people flick fag ash on my pram a couple of times while in the school playground when collecting the kids thankfully smoking on the school premises was recently banned

If people choose to smoke themselves thats fine,but i do have a problem with people forcing me to smoke when i choose not to.

I disagree that smoking doesn't do as much damage as is made out.Of course theres more to developing cancer than just the smoking factor, such as genetics, as Hoggett pointed out.But it is a contributory factor in many cases and in more illnesses than just cancer.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >