View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Joanne the section I posted is part of the Nothing In Life Is Free programme NILIF its a well known and used training programme that I know a lot of people in my breed Alaskan Malamutes use, some of it does sound cold and hard to some degree but I have heard wonderful reports of problems being solved using the NILIF way of dealing with dogs, you can probably do a google and get the full programme see if any of it helps your situation.

Mo
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Joanne the section I posted is part of the Nothing In Life Is Free programme NILIF its a well known and used training programme that I know a lot of people in my breed Alaskan Malamutes use, some of it does sound cold and hard to some degree but I have heard wonderful reports of problems being solved using the NILIF way of dealing with dogs, you can probably do a google and get the full programme see if any of it helps your situation.

Mo
Yes, this is the link Shadowboxer has posted in the past -

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm again by Debbie McKean
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 08:34 AM
I must admit, I much prefer Shadowboxer's link to NILIF ...a 48 hour ignore is something I see as very extreme.

The Shadowboxer link is again very similar to a Learn to Earn programme which is very useful (but has nothing to do with pack leadership, just a good relationship).

I have used this (the Learn to Earn) and still do - it's simply asking for something from the dog before the dog gets what he/she wants. Of course the dog does have to be trained in basic commands first

So for dinner they sit and Wait until released, for going out they Sit and Wait, and for lead on they Sit and Wait or give a paw - whatever...

It's also quite fun to do canine push ups and active dogs love this - sit/down/sit/down/sit/down for something they want.

At the end of the day it's training for manners and the dog knowing what's expected, which is always a good thing

Wys
x
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Just seen the pics of Trevor, he is really stunning

So glad whilst reading your post there Wysiwyg, I already do all of those things listed
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I must admit, I much prefer Shadowboxer's link to NILIF ...a 48 hour ignore is something I see as very extreme.

The Shadowboxer link is again very similar to a Learn to Earn programme which is very useful (but has nothing to do with pack leadership, just a good relationship).

I have used this (the Learn to Earn) and still do - it's simply asking for something from the dog before the dog gets what he/she wants. Of course the dog does have to be trained in basic commands first

So for dinner they sit and Wait until released, for going out they Sit and Wait, and for lead on they Sit and Wait or give a paw - whatever...

It's also quite fun to do canine push ups and active dogs love this - sit/down/sit/down/sit/down for something they want. At the end of the day it's training for manners and the dog knowing what's expected, which is always a good thing

Wys
x
The Biffters moans if you do this with him..in a PLEASE give me the biccie...I don't wannna do another one sort of way!!!!
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2006, 12:08 PM
i practice the nothing in life is free and learn to earn. i always ask them to do something before being fed, before play, during play, before going for walkies. most of the time they offer the behaviour before i even ask for it! bless 'em. maybe they think they'll get more off me......
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

It's also quite fun to do canine push ups and active dogs love this - sit/down/sit/down/sit/down for something they want.

At the end of the day it's training for manners and the dog knowing what's expected, which is always a good thing

Wys
x

The link provided by Shadow Boxer is in fact one page of many, the page I posted was one of the others, its all from the same author, each page is for different behaviour problems.
This is her websitehttp://www.k9deb.com/
Mo
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2006, 12:44 PM
just a couple of questions. what happens if you have more than one dog. do you practice it with both dogs? what about when you're walking them on the field, how do you practice recall etc, if you ignore them for the first 48 hours? or do you not take them out?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 02:11 PM
I would imagine the articles are dealing with one on one situations, obviously if you were to follow the instructions to the letter then you would follow it on a one to one basis,

Mo
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
The link provided by Shadow Boxer is in fact one page of many, the page I posted was one of the others, its all from the same author, each page is for different behaviour problems.
This is her websitehttp://www.k9deb.com/
Mo
Ah, I see!

I've had more of a look now. I will say that the link given for the 24 hour ignore relates to what Deb refers to as "dominance confusion" ...it relates to aggression. I've copied the additional info above the part you posted, Mo, as I think it's really important:

Before beginning any kind of behavior modification program take your dog to a veterinarian for a complete physical examination. To treat any kind of behavior problem without first ruling out a physical cause is grossly unfair to the dog. Take a printed copy of this page with you and ask your vet if this technique would be appropriate for you and your dog. Canine aggression is something that must not be treated without an in-person, professional evaluation. This technique is designed for dogs that are in good physical health and of sound mind and stable temperament. It is intended, specifically, for dogs that are behaving aggressively only because of confusion about their status and role in the family (pack). This technique is not intended to be used in place of an evaluation by a canine professional.

FIRST THINGS FIRST
If your dog's aggression toward you is a new behavior it is mandatory that you have him examined by a veterinarian before beginning this treatment. Everything from thyroid dysfunction to an abscessed tooth can cause aggressive behavior. Even if the dog isn't displaying new behavior if he hasn't had a complete physical exam in the last six months, do it.

I'd disagree with the advice in pink <g> above to see a vet about this as few vets are experts in canine behaviour! I'd alway suggest a reputable behaviourist if a dog is being aggressive for any reason. I tend to not follow pack theory/alpha myself, so tend not to refer to "dominance" and "people" in the same breath .

Wys
x
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >